Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 20039 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:22:41 pm »

In light of Girlinhat's recent chainmaille topic I have created a thread for Blacksmiths and any other people interested in learning about this ancient trade. More pictures will be posted as they are made, found, and requested. Any questions you have will be answered as soon as I can, or if I can't answer them I will point you in the direction of someone who can.

PICS!

Several shots of my forge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Some knives I have made.

Some random crafts.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:06:36 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Kisame12794: Proficient Blacksmith
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 04:50:56 pm »

Question to kick off the topic: I have been mildly interested in getting into blacksmithing for a while. What'd be the typical price of entry?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »

Well it depends wheter or not you want to get a full sized anvil or a proper firepot. My anvil sits at 150 pounds and cost 300$ canadian. My fire pot is an old brake drum sitting in a metal table I threw together that cost about 100$ to make, this will vary depending on the size of the table and how much you could recycle. Whether you want to use coal or propane will count too. A good gas forge can be anywhere from 300$ up. An 80 pound bag of coal can cost 120$. So all in all Expect to spend anywhere from 50$ to 3000$. It all depends on what YOU want. And that is only startup costs. you have to buy material and tools. It helps if you can get old metal lyng around or in scrap yards. Again it depends on YOU.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »

Posting to follow :)
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:39:44 am »

PTF.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:09:07 am »

... anvil ...

My Opa (German/Dutch for Grandpa), who has a love for hands-on work and anything mechanical or metal, uses a 1-foot section of discarded railway track for any anvil-like use. I don't think he uses it for any hot metal, though.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:32 am »

You can use an old section of railway for hot metal too, but you have to harden it. A block of steel 5 inchs by 5 inchs by 10 inches is good enough for an anvil. Some smiths prefer smaller anvils because they don't need a large one to do all the things they want.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 05:04:55 am »

Absolutely awesome.
Watching this topic for pics :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 10:23:19 pm »

As am I.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »

Awesome! More blacksmiths!

Not to steal the thread, but here's a couple of pictures of pieces that I did when I "apprenticed" for one year.

Unfortunately, since I went back to Portugal and then to the USA, I haven't had time, money or place to set up a decent workshop, so I've barely done anything since then :(

Share your pics, shaaaaaaaaaaare, want more blacksmithing! Grarrrhhh!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 05:00:53 pm »

CALM THE F*CK DOWN. Pics incoming soon. Real soon.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 05:14:14 pm »

Like how about now? Soon enough?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 03:06:19 am »

Here's the only thing I have of my old work, when I still had equipment for cold working anything respectable. Whole thing is around 3 ft, with 6 inches of usable handle, the sheath (work-formed thin steel tubing, very simple and light) adding another 6. It's not a clever design - the most that can be said of it is that the balance is fantastic, towards the back of the blade and just above the non-existant guard. It can double as a nasty club with the sheath on, but it's basically a costume piece since I had no way to temper the steel the way a light sword needs. Fittings made from leather, wood, strong masking tape, steel wire, faux sinew, quartzite, and sweat.
I miss making stuff :( Kisame: I love the twisted handle design :) Very elegant. I've always liked the simplicity of single-material stuff.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:08:36 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 08:41:22 am »

That's a nice looking workshop! Man, I miss the smell of a forging workshop.... :)

Aren't you worried that the walls will catch on fire though? The heat of the forge canopy itself is brutal!

The horseshoe looks pretty damn good too, very symmetric, nice :D I'm personally not a fan of making blades of any kind. It's just super boring having to polish it to all hell... it's like, 10% forging!

Share more! :) Love seeing what people do :) And by the way, iforgeiron.com has a bunch of interesting projects you can do, and it's a real friendly community!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10