Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Ye Olde Magma Forge: A Blacksmith discussion thread.  (Read 20010 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Kisame12794: Proficient Blacksmith
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 11:53:32 am »

Thank you. Another good site for projects is Anvilfire. And yes while it does get very hot, the it isn't hot enought to catch the walls on fire. And yes while making knives is a time consuming process, it is really wrth it in the end. The polished one is my first knife and it took me about at 72 hours of straight work. Bear in mind that this was my first knife. The second knife has taken to date around 8 hours. They are both made out of a railway spike. Eagleon that is a fine looking sword. What material did you make it out of? How long did it take?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:12 pm »

It's a mild steel, 3/4"x1/8" (the picture might make it look a lot wider than it is), all cold work - lots and lots of grinding and polishing, about an hour of actual hammering to get the curve and tip and give it some strength. You can't see it very well in the picture, but there's a distinct ridge where the back has been hammered out so that it won't buckle as much. Filing the edge to sharp was absolute hell - I couldn't use the grinder because it heats it up too much, not to mention it'd have been tough to impossible to get the right profile for it, so that was all done by hand.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 01:09:06 pm »

If it's mild steel, then it will never hold an edge, independently of the tempering. It needs to have more carbon content to actually become rigid. Still, I've gotta say that it looks pretty nice :)

One thing about smithing is that you're forging volumes, which means that as the crossection of the material increases, the volume that you're hammering on increases to the power of three. In other words, if you forge something which is relatively thin, it'll be super easy to forge. Anything above 3/4" is starts being pretty damn hard unless you're doing it everyday and can handle a 2+ pound hammer. I remember when I was able to swing those, eesh. Long time ago :)

How thick are railroad spikes?

When I got into blacksmithing, I was all about swords and knives and weapons and whatnot. Then, I started realizing that there's so much art, and so many other techniques than the ones you use for bladesmithing that you're limiting yourself if you only do that. I really, really loved some of the projects that I did (links to their pictures on my 1st post). We were given the design, but they were so aesthetic. Love it :)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 01:37:19 pm »

The spikes are about 1 inch square. I regularly use 3+ pound hammers so forging out up to 1 1/2 is pretty easy for me. I'll work up a sweat sure but i won't get so tired out that i can't recover during heating.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 08:31:02 pm »

Epicness, my only exp in blacksmithing (if using welding in the process counts) is making a long-sword to hack down some of the menceing thisle plants that grow all over the place on the farm. Also works nicely on bur-docks damn those mini-trees. Altho its heavy ended, it just adds to it's cutting potential

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2011, 03:54:28 pm »

Nice. Anybody who has anything they think is interesting, post it! Got an idea? Post it! This is not just about me, I want to help You.

Komra

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your brain on DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 05:34:08 pm »

Heh. I've always been the creative type in terms of anything other than drawing (stick figures FTW), so I find this quite interesting.
In any case, if anyone needs some ore for their work, I found out that I own a pickaxe. So there.
But you never see a movie where a terrible coal plant accident causes a horrible devastation, do you? Nope, everyone seems to think that nuclear plants get their energy by smacking live atomic warheads all day or something.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 05:35:41 pm »

There's some awesomely crazy people that actually do that. Gather ore, then a bajillion tons of coal, and melt the ore, then hammer whatever comes out. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, and it takes forever :) Like a whole day or something crazy :)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 06:01:54 pm »

Ahem. I am one one of those crazy awsome people. I spent around 6 or 7 hours recording data for the smelt. We put 24 kilos of ore and 160 kilos of charcoal and the resulting bloom weighed around 5 kilos. Me and another guy hammered the bloom down to size, then using an axe, cut it into 4 sections. One of those sections was then pounded flat. It was awsome.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 06:03:07 pm »

Oh, wow, that's great :D

How did it come out? What did you guys use it for? Do you have any pictures of the process, result, or what you did with the result?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 06:14:28 pm »

I do not know what happened to the other pieces. I got a little that fell off the rest of the bloom and have yet to do anything with it. The bloom itself was similar to wrought iron. I will post a picture of the bloom soon.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2011, 09:36:38 pm »

Posting to watch...

As if.  I respond to FAR too many threads to rely on that, ha!  Regardless of that, I think we're rapidly approaching an epoch.  It's just a matter of time before the forums suddenly shut down and all productive members move to Nevada and start digging out a fort.  We've got some blacksmiths, miners, farming isn't hard...  Unrelated, I think I realized what the 2012 apocalypse is going to be.

Now I'm wondering how we might combine our crafts, and produce some doubly crappy pieces!  We need a leatherworker, to make a sheath, and then we can have you make a knife, someone make a sheath with an image of a dwarf and groundhogs on it, and I can make the belt strap for it.  I don't know!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:16 pm »

Naw a knife isn't dwarfy enough. I think my next project is going to be a short sword. Or maybe a chestplate.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 10:58:03 pm »

You're right, it's too Kobold...  A hatchet, perhaps?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2011, 11:06:48 pm »

Nice to see another owl. Yup I could do a hatchet. I may do that first due to the fact that is has some use. Other than being awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10