Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173874 times)

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1065 on: February 05, 2013, 12:27:28 am »

Compared to the giants I get stuck with yours are a lot nicer.

Y'know, apart from the whole treason thing.

The ones I get stuck with never dies. :(

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1066 on: February 05, 2013, 01:15:07 am »

((ok, dwarfings after this. seriously, I'm writing that update now. I just wanted to get this part up.))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Well, the siege is over, and most of us are still alive. No word from the three who died so far. Remalle is already carving memorials for them (the new mayor doesn't seem to understand why that's important), and hopefully they won't return as vengeful spirits that try to tear us apart as we sleep!

We have enough of those already.

The siege... did not end normally, of course. So, the goblin ambushers don't like the giants (any of the giants), and they in turn are hated by both groups. However, it seems that our goblins (the friendly ones) are none too fond of them (the ambushers)! Whew. There are still a few of our goblins out there, and they drove off the remaining ambushers.

They were then killed by a giant.

Neo and the others killed the giants left on the bridge. I'm sure the fight was thrilling for them, but compared to the mess outside of our gates, it was pretty tame stuff.

I mean, the giants were still fighting each other near our gate, and Mr. Anderson's squad was firing indiscriminately into the chaos. A goblin or two jumped in just for fun. One of that Naithal's elephants hadn't starved after all, and knocked a few ice giants around before having its skull smashed. Finally, after their leader's camel was killed, the attacking giants seemed to lose all enthusiasm. They shouted "doom" at us, and left.

And the one surviving, formerly friendly giant? He waited until they were gone, and then burst into flame.

Yes, the fires are back.

Time to drink.

Next: New Recruits, A Message

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: February 06, 2013, 12:48:20 am »

((turns out I've got no time, but here are brief new dwarf intros))

Notes from the Aftermath:

Three new recruits were added to Mr. Anderson's squad, to replace those who had been killed.

Slime, a lye maker with an appropriate name.

Riczo, a miner who wasn't sure why she was being made to learn how to use a crossbow.

And Firehawk.

When the soldier asked Firehawk to find a crossbow from the junk pile, he surprised her by pulling three of them from his pack, along with several full quivers. After he had collapsed under the weight, she told him to share some of his wealth with the others.

Meanwhile, the fire spread.

The ruined jungle, which had started to spring into new life before the siege, was turned into ashes again. It was a sign or a message of some kind, Aban had decided. Figuring it out was the problem.

Next: I don't know. An army of snakes, maybe.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: February 07, 2013, 04:30:51 am »

Balnash's Scribblings

'Nother day, 'nother siege.

Seems like all kinds of critters spend every wakin' hour o'their days figurin' out how they're gonna invade us next. Now we gotta deal with dueling factions of giants to go with the dueling factions of gobbos we've had since we came back to this accursed spot.

...somebody don't want us finishin' this bridge...

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: February 08, 2013, 01:15:34 am »

Spring has arrived! And with it comes... ash and smoke, actually. It's spring by the calender, and that's all.

What with the siege, the raging inferno outside, and so on, I don't think anyone noticed that a peasant had been locked up in a workshop for months. She came out today, with a scepter in hand.

Yes, it's one of those. Funny that it shows Atir, though. I haven't thought about the other gods in a long time. We don't hear anything from them, that's for certain. Well, not most of them.

But the scepter... it'll be tossed in a craft pile somewhere. Why do we make these things?

Next: Oh, I don't know.

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: February 08, 2013, 04:10:01 pm »

"Hey, you, peasant, whats that?"
"Its a scepter! It shows some of the history of our great culture!"
"Scepter eh? Looks like a bolt to me. Speaking of bolts...."

Firehawk pulled another crossbow and a filled quiver.

"Take these. Shit will go down, and when it does, i want to see some bolts fly!"

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: February 09, 2013, 02:49:20 am »

Excerpt from the Journal of Nathail, Animal Trainer of Oceanbridge

My elephants died. And not whilst keepin' all my bits on. Well, 'cept for the one, but it got its skull turned inside-out. But the others all starved. I suppose, in hindsight, I've nobody to blame but myself. I was the one who trained the elephants to regularly exercise themselves, and that'll have increased their dietary needs. I'll see about avoiding that in future. Maybe I'll stick to carnivores for a while. We're bound to have something somewhere that'd eat goblins. And Jotunar. And the rebel factions thereof. Why does everything we meet try to kill us? Maybe if we give them that weird little scepter, they'll go away. Oh, I almost forgot; the outside world is on fire. I hope there's some sewer brew left, I don't think dwarven wine will be sufficient.

Could you please set the GRAZER value of elephants to something workable, like 100? ETo save you a little effort looking, elephants are in creature_large_tropical. Also, do we have some bears I could train? Bears don't starve.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: February 12, 2013, 12:28:03 am »

Just read the whole thing, beginning to end. Requesting a dwarfing as Jacen, title Soap Crusader, a melee dwarf of any kind.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: February 13, 2013, 04:53:57 pm »

We can always use another soap obsessed Jacen, of course.

Updates will come when the madness that surrounds me at last comes to an end. (family visiting)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: February 14, 2013, 12:49:29 am »

Well, I was almost killed out on the bridge today! Whose fault was it? Gar's, of course. But he had good intentions, and the result of his little experiment is... probably positive? I hope so, at least.

The goblins, excuse me, the "friendly" goblins are going to betray us eventually. Everyone know is. Even if they've already betrayed their own kind, there's no way that they're going to keep being kind to us. That's just not how things work around here. And when they do betray us, a lot of people are going to die.

Gar's trying to prevent that, I think. In his own unique way. He had a bridge built, on top of the bridge, next to where to so-called goblin general spent his time. I don't know what he thought of the building (the goblin, that is). Maybe he thought it was a statue in honor of him, or something. He was huge and blocklike, after all. At any rate, he did nothing to stop Gar, and when the little bridge was done, and raised upright, he rolled over to look at it.

That was when Gar pulled the lever.

Unfortunately, I was next to the damn bridge at that moment, and Gar didn't think to, you know, tell me what he was doing. The goblin general was crushed, but he was so huge that he... sort of sprayed out on either side. I'm still pulling bits of him out of my hair.

But it worked, and the rest of our goblins don't seem to suspect a thing. The last I saw my dear husband, he was drawing up plans for a lot of similar bridges, to be built wherever these goblins gather.

We might not have to worry about them for much longer.

Next: Next.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: February 14, 2013, 02:40:10 am »

- Wut iz dat?
- It's a... memorial. Yes, a memorial.
- Tu hum?
- You, of course. Aren't you a general of goblins?
- Zei kol me warchief. Wy dat iz lay on flor?
- Just a moment... *Pulls lever* Here it is!
- Me likez! Dat iz big!
- Oh, sure... and heavy too... *pulls lever again*
- Me likez:',"*.;'

It worked perfectly. Now got to repeat it on every gobbo we have here. I'm happy.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:40 pm »

((working on an update, but... I hate to cheat. But there's a stuck giant who is making things a mess. Is there any way using dfhack to move said giant, or maybe to just kill it? a giant is stuck in the sky, and the siege will not officially end until it comes down))

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 18, 2013, 10:37:01 pm »

I suppose you could pour lava on it.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: February 18, 2013, 11:39:54 pm »

((working on an update, but... I hate to cheat. But there's a stuck giant who is making things a mess. Is there any way using dfhack to move said giant, or maybe to just kill it? a giant is stuck in the sky, and the siege will not officially end until it comes down))
Is it stuck in falling state? Then magma won't help. I think. Try dropping obsidian block  on it.

Also you could use 'slayrace' script
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: February 19, 2013, 04:24:07 am »

Ah yes, the old creature-stuck-in-midair-glitch.  Didn't this happen way back in GreatBridge of Oceans, too?
While the creature is stuck in mid-air it is essentially trapped in time and utterly invincible, no matter if you freeze it, obsidianize it, atomsmash it, anything.  You'll have to find the "flying" flag and turn it off to get the creature back on the ground, then you can kill it normally.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 85