Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173757 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

who is still alive? it's me. I am.

I think. I'm still making it my goal to finish this by the end of this year, or before.

Back to work!

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

who is still alive? it's me. I am.

I think. I'm still making it my goal to finish this by the end of this year, or before.

Back to work!

AND THUS WE REJOICED.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((as usual, got to start with a small one))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

We have a new mayor, and that means we get to get to know all about our new mayor!

And that's always frightening.

This man, Id has had me spend the day digging through trash piles. Why? Because our dear new mayor has requested (read: demanded) that we make an aluminum item. What sort of item, he refuses to say. We don't have any bars of aluminum. So I'm digging around in the detritus of the past ten years, looking for other aluminum items to melt down and recast into a new aluminum item.

I don't like the new mayor.

Meanwhile, Remalle and Ishar have gone missing. I'm sure that they're still alive, or at least that Remalle is still alive. I'm sure they're fine. I mean, they were last spotted digging a tunnel under the ocean. How dangerous can that be?

I... think I may need to go look for them.

Next: People

• Bay Watcher
  • 10^9
    • View Profile

Yay for update and being alive!

I was wondering if I could be dwarfed, a furnace op if possible by the name of Billon?

Great Story :D

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, there are always free dwarfs. Well, for now.

Update soon, etc.

or now!

Stories from Oceanbridge: The Never-ending Siege

Tirist was beginning to worry about Gar. During the first month or so of their imprisonment, the man had been constantly coming up with new ways to escape, usually ways that involved killing as many goblins as possible in the process. (the last suggestion had involved blowing up the fortress by setting all of the alcohol on fire, which had also worried Tirist a lot). But now, Gar had gone very, very quiet.

Then there was the ghost. He decided that he had to mention the ghost, at least. He cleared his throat, and said, "Hey... Gar? I don't want to worry you, but there's... sort of a ghost, hovering over you?"

Gar shrugged, and looked up. His expression of mild disinterest changed when he saw the ghost itself, to one of shock. "Holy hell... Kill it! Bash it to pieces with a barrel... no, damn it all, set the barrels on fire! Blast that thing to shit!"

Tirist did the only thing he could think to do. He picked up a handful of their only weapon, (sand) and threw it. Not at the ghost, but at Gar. It was a desperate, possibly suicidal move, but he was in no mood to get burned alive in booze. Drowned, maybe. But not burned.

It worked, sort of. By the time Gar had stopped cursing and had got the sand out of his eyes, the ghost was gone.

Tirist waited a little bit longer, hoping the pause would help bring Gar's anger down.  "Sorry about that... but your were kind of talking like a mad man. What was that?"

"Something that shouldn't have been there, man. Something that shouldn't be a ghost. Now help me with these barrels, I think I finally figured out a way out of here." Gar rolled his eyes when he saw Tirist cautiously picking up another handful of sand. "I'm not going to blow us up, damn it, though I might kill you if you do that again. Just help me. We're getting out, now."

Meanwhile, Mr. Anderson had finally been slain by the goblins.

But he had survived worse things.

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties:

Well, to melt down aluminum, we need a furnace operator! The problem: all of our furnace operators are long dead, and they haven't come back, at least not in any ways that I recognize. Well, this weaponsmith is going to have to do the job:

Billon is his name. Another refugee. (Are there any of us left who aren't?) Anyway, I hope that he doesn't get the blame when he inevitably fails to produce our new mayor's all important "item". He seems nice enough.

There are actually more important things going on now, though the mayor doesn't realize it. Neo, the Soldier, Firehawk, and some others (and yes, myself, though I'm not enthusiastic about swords) are going to try to break back up into the first floor. Onto? One of those things.

Next: Taking Back the First Floor
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:45:45 pm by varnish »

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Eotyrannus hits the ☼thread☼ in the inactivity with a -post in the thread- and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The lack of writer gestures!
The inactivity shudders and begins to move!

I have a severe lack of Oceanbridge, due to a sudden urge to write a character journal in it.

• Bay Watcher
  • 10^9
    • View Profile

((I concur!))

From the journal of Billon, weaponsmith:

I was wandering aimlessly when a dwarf approached me carrying a sword. She introduced herself as Aban Brothertreaties, bookkeeper of this fort. Is that maybe the name of one of the fort's original founders? I didn't ponder the name very long because she was clearly in a rush. She told me that I was supposed to make something aluminum for our mayor. Then she handed me a tiny pebble which she said was the only aluminum she had managed to find and rushed off. I guess I better get looking, I wonder why she was in such a rush with that sword? Bookkeeper thing, probably.

Hmm... I don't think she said what kind of item the mayor wanted. Maybe I should follow her and ask? I wonder when we are going to get some booze, some wine would be nice.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 05:20:39 pm by 1000000000 »

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile

Excerpt from the Memoirs of Nathail, Animal Trainer and Ghost of Oceanbridge

So, I died. My elephants died, and then I died. I wonder who I have to talk to to fix that. That one ghost that looks sorta like Aban might be able to help, but I keep hearing it muttering about "Ungrateful dwarves" and "That stubborn little brat". Still saner than most around here. If I do get reincarnated, I'm going to train myself an honorguard. Preferably one made out of bears. Lots of bears. And maybe a couple of lions. Yeah, make that a lot of lions. I like lions. Lion kill things. Lions don't starve. Dammit, I don't even have a mouth and I need a drink!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As always, I like the journals. They really help. Progress has been slow due to:

A: Glacially slow frame rate in the fort, and
B: I lost my job. You'd think having lots of spare time would allow me to update more, but I get depressed when I don't have a job. Oh well. I've got one now, so all is well, and I'm working on the update.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Eotyrannus hits the inactivity in the head with a -post in the thread-, tearing the muscle, shattering the bone and tearing apart the brain!
The inactivity has been struck down!

AND THERE WAS MUCH REJOICING.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, the bad news is that the laptop that Oceanbridge lived on isn't working, and might not ever work again. I very foolishly haven't backed up the fort in a long, long time. So, I'm not sure what I can do, if anything.

That's all the news, really. Frustrating for me, and I'm sorry to anyone who was still watching for updates. I'll try to figure something out.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well as long as it's not HDD that gone FUBAR there is hope.
But no matter of outcome this was good. Thank you for a nice game.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

That's bad, but this story longed far mor than stories usually do.
Still, we're all in hopes of getting save recovered.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Well if like DI said if the HDD is fine (and it was just the power/cpu/MoBO that died) Oceanbridge will be ok, just needs a new host to inhabit.

EDIT:
Also if this lives on I'd like a dwarf "Hugo" male axedwarf, train his skill with the axe by killing harmless cave fauna until he is skilled enough (and doesn't tire out fast) to take on 5 goblins

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm working on it, but no luck so far. It doesn't help that I've got no skills with computers, really. How do you access a laptop's hard drive if the laptop doesn't turn on? I'm sure there's a way, but I'm struggling. I've got a huge amount of music and writing on that computer too. Bah.

In the meantime, I can't even find the backup I thought I made. I've got plenty of backups of old 40d forts, but not this one! So, you know, there's that.

Out of boredom, and curiosity, I'll pose a question. There are (I think) only three characters in Oceanbridge who have never died. Can you guess who they are? I might not be able to, my memory is hazy.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 85