Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173905 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

How do you access a laptop's hard drive if the laptop doesn't turn on? I'm sure there's a way, but I'm struggling. I've got a huge amount of music and writing on that computer too. Bah.
Well, open your laptop's cover, unmount disc and mount it into another computer. First part is easy even for dabbling computer user, you just need a screwdriver and - optionally - service manual for your laptop. Last part is harder and better be carried out by skilled person, but any computer engineer can do that.

There are (I think) only three characters in Oceanbridge who have never died. Can you guess who they are?
Gar, since he never fought in melee?  :D
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm. The first part I can definitely do. Not going to take any risks with it, though.

And Gar is one, yes. He's the survivor.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Myself!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's two!

• Bay Watcher
  • 10^9
    • View Profile

Would Aban be the third?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I just started reading through this, and I'm not too far through the Archive so i haven't actually seen what the bridge looks like finished (if ever it was actually finished), but the fort has an interesting history so far and I've noticed an active reclaim/recovery operation is ongoing, so I'll post to watch.
Good luck Gar!
Gar? A distant relative to the origonal I'll assume, Gar the VIIIth  maybe?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Good luck Gar!
Trapped in the dirt hole with nothing to do except drinking, in a fortress swarmed by goblins, in the universe that is also trapped on Varnish' broken laptop... Yes, I do need some good luck.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for reading, MarcAFK!

The current Gar is actually the original Gar, story-wise. After the first fall, he fled to the jungles and kicked around there for a few years, until he got bored and came back to Oceanbridge. (He also abandoned his and Aban's first litter of children out there, dumping them on some humans) That's where the current group found him. There was also a dwarf named Peregar who lived during the second reclaim. He had a very similar name and personality to our Gar, but was not the same person at all. It's a bit confusing, and since the laptop had all of my notes, and text files for the story, it'll probably stay that way.

Aban is... not the third. Not quite. (That's also confusing) If I'm right, it's a dwarf who was very important early on and in the middle, who has since vanished, because I just plain forgot about them.

Also, I ordered one of those hard drive enclosures, as it seemed like using one of them might be within my abilities. It's supposed to arrive on wednesday. Then? We'll see.

I'm feeling wordy today, I guess.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, good news! I've got the hard drive out of the laptop and plugged in, and everything is there. I've got Oceanbridge copied onto the computer I'm using now, and another backup drive besides. Things have worked out just about as well as I could have hoped, and thank you to everyone who offered advice.

Now, the computer I'm using is a cranky old desktop from 2005, so the fort might run a bit... slow. But I've got it.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oceanbridge is revived! hooray!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile

Woo!  24/7 parties!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((So, on this computer, dwarf fortress takes about five minutes to start up. Loading the game takes another five, and saving it takes about ten. It runs ok between those times, though!))

Taking Back the Fort:

Nothing moved in the sandy halls of Oceanbridge, save for a few flies, buzzing lazily from corpse to corpse (to corpse to corpse... well, there were a lot of corpses). There were no goblins, no trolls, no giants, no six armed, highly flammable ape men. It was, for the small group of dwarfs who had just dug their way up through the floor, very unsettling.

"This is very unsettling," Aban said, as she cautiously looked around a corner. "We should be getting slaughtered by... well, about three different armies right now. Where the hell did they all go?"

No one answered. The Soldier poked one of the the bodies (a goblin, or at least, half of a goblin's head) with her spear. It stubbornly refused to leap up and attack her. Neo, Balnash and Firehawk worked their way slowly through the old main hall, where most of the bodies were. They too were not torn to shreds by hordes of monsters who didn't jump from secret hiding places in the walls.

Balnash was the first to notice the sounds. "Do you hear that? Sounds like someone's knockin' on that wall. And... yeah, listen, they're shouting! Someone's still trapped up here!"

"That's... unbelievable." Aban said. "Where did you hear-" Then she heard the voices herself. "Oh! That's the food storeroom! No wonder they survived. Can you hear what they're saying? And Ishar, please, knock a hole in that wall now!"

Balnash put his ear to the sand wall, and listened. A moment later, he stood back, and said, "I can't quite make it out, but I think about nine out of ten of what they're sayin' is cursing."

Aban's eyes went wide. "Gods. Gar's still alive."

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

We've suffered through some terrifying battles here in Oceanbridge, but somehow facing no battle at all when we were expecting a brutal one is pretty frightening too. Where did all those goblins go?

Well, Gar's still alive! We drug him and some other dwarf out of the old food store room, both of them looking pretty damn fat and healthy.

That's remarkable enough, and he told us all about his whole adventure, which was also remarkable, and about the ogre who apparently killed most of the people in the main hall. That's not remarkable, just worrying. That thing is still alive, somewhere.

But we've got the first floor back, and I've got my husband back (for whatever that's worth). Maybe we're on our way back up. We just need to retake the bridge now. How hard can that be?

(HA!)

Next: Digging Deep

((next will be new dwarfs, dwarfs who haven't been mentioned in a while. I'll probably need to edit this post later too. Tired writing.))

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution

Also if this lives on I'd like a dwarf "Hugo" male axedwarf, train his skill with the axe by killing harmless cave fauna until he is skilled enough (and doesn't tire out fast) to take on 5 goblins

Just to make sure i'm included at somepoint :P
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 85