Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173792 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't worry, just bring more yaks.
As for next try, better wait for Toady to fix most of bugs.

True.

I'm glad that he's planning to work on optimization next, because as it stands, a regular sized embark runs really slow for me. An Oceanbridge sized embark would probably straight up make the game explode.

I need to make sure that I make war yaks possible, no matter what else I do.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This was an epic read, and you did a hell of a good job.

I look greatly forward to seeing what you come up with in the future  :)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you, it's always amazing to hear that people have read the whole thing, and that they enjoyed it.

Also in the world of good things, I just tried out a similar embark in the newer version (2*16, over a body of water, etc), and it worked really well! No fps issues yet. So there's hope for a new Oceanbridge, or whatever I might call it. And it looks like darkflagrance might be updating the fortress defense mod too.

Still trying to decide exactly what I want to do; whether it should be a sort of continuation of this story, or something new completely.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

And it looks like darkflagrance might be updating the fortress defense mod too.
Or alternatively you can use a vanilla world populated with necromancers:

With dwarves' tendency to run away in terror that could be quite a challenge
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That volcano in the northeast looks so lonely :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That could work to, I suppose. How do you get a world with so many necromancers?

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile

It's a bit of a bug... or it was?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That could work to, I suppose. How do you get a world with so many necromancers?
It usually happens in a world with long history and quite a number of secrets.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok.

I have a plan. If there's nothing else disastrous in the way, I'm going to start a new thing this month.

It's going to be something completely new, probably, but still giant bridge related. Because that's what I gotta do.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok.

I have a plan. If there's nothing else disastrous in the way, I'm going to start a new thing this month.

It's going to be something completely new, probably, but still giant bridge related. Because that's what I gotta do.
Nice! Dibs on mechanic who always survives.

Doing "The Bridge" thing in my current 40.05 fort. Military is much harder there than before, after a forgotten beast attack with ~20 casualities whole fort of 160~ is in the deep emotional shock sauced by old good tantrum. Hope 40.06 is save-compatible, don't want to lose it - The Bridge is about 1/4 completed.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm in for a dwarf and turn  ;)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it's going to be a community thing like this one, so no turns. But there will be dwarfs for everyone.

What I'm working on is basically my own mod for the game. I'm adding in several new enemies that will add some danger, but not be quite as insane as the Fortress Defense mod could be.

I feel egotistical doing that, all "I'm making a mod just for my game!" But i've actually been working on learning to mod for a while now. It's not just for me.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1272 on: September 06, 2014, 03:26:33 am »

Ok, so the new fort will start tomorrow.

I will start a new thread for it.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)
« Reply #1273 on: September 06, 2014, 03:46:49 am »

Praise varnish!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: September 06, 2014, 06:11:38 am »

Gar the Luckiest Mechanic is ready!
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85]