Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173821 times)

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #165 on: October 26, 2011, 03:25:40 am »

You little annoying pigs.
AHAHAHAHAHHAHA SO VERY VERY VERY VERY.....FUNNY
I want ta be a part o' this. Dorf as Anderz and make him/her as a military dorf. Swords or spear would be preferable.
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 26, 2011, 03:51:25 am »

Vomiting giraffe... Let's keep him for us!

I wonder if he'll starve to death with such habits...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:28 pm »

This looks fun, I want in. Dorf me as Ishar. I didn't notice you having an actual broker in the story, so if yours isn't one of the already claimed dwarfs I'd like that. If not, then something in the military, or a hunter would also be great. Especially in this environment, vomiting giraffes and things like that.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2011, 03:10:22 pm »

Then dorfed you shall be.

Sadly, the giraffe died. I was going to draw a picture in tribute, but I realized that I can't draw a giraffe. Feel free to picture how amazing it would have been, in your mind.

What we really need right now, and what I keep forgetting to appoint, is a captain of the guard. Anyone want that? Otherwise I'll just give it to some random planter.

Update later today, as per usual.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2011, 07:12:02 pm »

Heavy weapons guy needs a siege. Little goblin baby men must perish.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 27, 2011, 06:10:20 am »

If you still need a captain of the guard, I believe I have yet to request a dorfing for this game. ^.^

That said, if you were planning on giving the position to a random grower anyway, might I suggest a random Cheesemaker instead? The name would be Hamlet; either gender is fine. Personality-wise, think "tough love." Ya know, making sure that everybody respects the law, eats properly* and gets plenty of sleep. Or else.

*Cheese: it's part of this balanced breakfast! And lunch. And dinner.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 27, 2011, 06:15:38 am »

If you still have a slot could i have a dwarf anything you need Alkhemia btw.
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 27, 2011, 09:35:15 pm »

((There will be dwarfings for everyone in the next update. I don't have regular access to my computer right now. Apologies, and so on))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, 3rd Granite, 194:

Well, I guess that I am sometimes over-optimistic, at least in regards to the whole “living through the year,” thing. (I mean, I’m still alive, but other than that I’m not taking bets). The details are still sketchy, and It’s hard to get things straight what with all of us trapped down here. But this is what I know:

Gar was out checking the new gate traps. The goblins must have done a damn good job of marching in quietly, because he tells me he looked up and was staring an army in the face. Or faces, if that’s right. He ran, but not before catching a bolt in the upper arm.

Here’s where things got confusing. I know there were at least fifteen others out on the bridge. Some of them got back in. The war elephants Featherlog trained helped with that. Apparently they charged in madly, kicking goblins this way and that, trumpeting in bloodthirsty rage.

Unfortunately they were then killed. Still, thanks to them a bunch of people managed to run in the secondary entrance, and then Person ordered that closed. (I am now a full supporter of Project War Elephant, by the way).

Aside from that, it’s all in the air. Derm and Guy are ready and willing to fight, but at least three soldiers are missing, possibly dead.

There’s at least five people out on the bridge. Aussie Evil might be one of them, as well as Turk. Oceanbridge is officially under siege.

Shit.

((Basically, goblin siege going on. Some deaths. Big post coming tomorrow, hopefully.))

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 28, 2011, 12:52:45 am »

I request dwarfing! (as male)
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 28, 2011, 02:12:33 am »

Ouch! my arm!
We need watchtowers that'd spot ambushes!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 28, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

Sign, me, fucking, up!!! This. is. epic!!!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2011, 04:06:54 pm »

Oceanbridge at War, Week One

In a lucky break for the dwarfs trapped out on the bridge, the goblins turned out to be more interested in chasing down various chickens and cavies that were wandering around the plains. Person ordered the gates opened once more, and closed them again once everyone (more or less) was safely underground. Only Derm was upset about that decision.

"This is not hard, Person. You open that gate, me and my boys kill those goblins, and the problem is solved. Siege over.”

“And if you instead all get killed, Derm, what then? Did you notice what happened to Tosid and... the other swordsman, whatever his name was? No. I am not going to risk the entire enterprise just because you want to “charge out and slaughter them”. We are dwarfs. We can come up with a better solution.”

“What, then?”

Person fell silent. He knew there was another solution. It was just a matter of thinking of it.

Guy spoke up.  “Listen, right. We’ve got that empty pond there, right? So, we dig over, pop up, shoot the hell out of them, and pop back in before they realize we’ve just shot the hell out of them! They'll run in terror and we can stab them all to pieces as they do!” He looked around, hoping for approval. Person turned to Cilob, who he recognized as generally the more sensible of the two. (Generally.)

Cilob shrugged. “It’s worth a try.”

In the end, Guy managed to kill one of the goblins, and the hunter Ishar another before the rest ran off to chase down a hapless gem setter who had been stuck on the bridge.

Not the solution everyone had had in mind.

The Siege Drags On: Week Two

It had taken several hours of waiting, but Aban had finally made it to Person's office. It seemed like everyone wanted to meet with the mayor these days. The siege was starting to wear everyone down, it seemed. Person was sitting at his desk, looking tired. He motioned for her to take a seat.

“Ah, Aban. I got your question about the demands from Hamlet. I’ve appointed this Hamlet as Captain of the Guard. She’s already shown she’s good for the job. Had a prison set up less than an hour after I appointed her. Anyway, the office and so on come with the... office, so her demands are reasonable and to be followed."

Well, that answered that. Something he said was bothering her, though. “Less than an hour? That’s… fast.”

“A good sign, I think. I’m confident she knows what she’s doing. We’re all going to be living in very close quarters for a while, and I want to be sure we can deal with any problems that may arise. People are becoming unhappy."

“Well, I suppose that makes…" Aban stopped. There was something else going on now. Even down several levels, she could tell something was wrong. "Listen, can you hear that?"

Person tilted his head. “No, I can’t."

A swordsdwarf (Probably Anderz, Aban thought. She liked to try to keep track of that sort of thing) elbowed her way through the crowd outside the door, and saluted Person. Ignoring Aban, he said "Sir! There's another army coming down the beach! I was up near the empty pond, and I spotted a whole horde of, well..."

"Well what? Humans? Our own men? Reinforcements from the mountainhomes?"

"Er... not exactly..."

((New Dwarfs, more coming
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))

((Next: What Everyone is up to. Yes, Everyone.))

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »

I suggest a kind of bait trap.
A kitten or such on a rope, in a tunnel, probably at the end of a goblin grinder e dodge trap or two (both together in same trap?), with fortifications for shooting stuff with and a few cage traps for some live practice in future, and walla, you have a seige grinder, so long as you set up its entrance and such forth propperly you should be able to turn most defence mod seiges into gristly red goo in a safe and secure environment.
I also suggest you build Gates to the bridge so construction can continue even during times of siege.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 29, 2011, 10:20:26 am »

((all good ideas. working on some similar, some quite different.))

Life During the Siege

Nix and Karakzon were gearing up for the most important dig of their lives. They’d agreed not to start digging into the adamantine until both of them became very, very good at digging. Preferably legendary, in fact. That time had come. Digging time.

Remalle had been arrested and sentenced to 101 days in prison for failing to meet Person’s first mandate. So there was at least one person unhappy with the new Captain of the Guard.

Hamlet, by contrast, was very happy. After all, she’d got to arrest someone. Justice was already being served, with a side of brie.

Turk, realizing that she and the other blacksmiths would soon need to be smelting adamantine, decided to do some reading up on the mythical metal. She had learned that it involved "wafers". Apparently cooks were involved, or maybe even pastry chefs. She'd chosen the wrong career.

Meanwhile, the smelters were going all out as Kogut, Turk, Person and others got to work on producing steel bars and steel discs. Large, serrated steel discs. Person wanted to make sure the goblins never came back, and preferably also never left. At least not with their limbs intact.

Gar had recovered from his wounds very quickly, and was now leading Di and Nerev in the building of the “Secret Weapon”. It would combine the best traits of mechanics and mad artillery. Or at least it would once they agreed on the design.

Mormota was busy building rock blocks. A safe job. At least, that’s what she was hoping.

Aussie Evil had taken up engraving, for lack of anything better to do. He was becoming quite good, but Aban for one was becoming worried about his chosen subject.

Aban herself spent the siege keeping the books. Which might not sound important, but she figured that knowing exactly how much food and booze they had remaining might interest some people. Especially the booze, which was becoming dangerously low.

Heavy Weapons Guy had taken Ishar under his rather massive arm, and was training her in the ways of “Crossbowery”.

Derm had his soldiers training too. And he was training them hard. Shina had taken a large cut on her upper arm, and Anderz was lucky he’d been issued a good steel helmet. They were becoming excellent soldiers. It was just a matter of surviving the training.

Before the siege, several warthogs had been captured in the cages. Gary Featherlog was hoping to try his hand at training them. War Warthogs? It had a certain ring to it.

Jacen the soapmaker seemed happy. It was hard to tell with him.

Deadly traps and crossbows were all very well, but the ordinary dwarfs of the fortress were hard at work as well. Alkhemia, a mason had been placed in charge of building a new dining room. (The old one filled with trash and walled by packed sand was becoming depressing). 

And fisherdwarfs like Antymattar busied themselves keeping everyone fed. It wasn’t clear how the fish got into the aquifer, but no one questioned the results.

Summer came, and still the siege went on.

((Dwarf Profiles:))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Is that everyone? I think I got everyone.))

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 29, 2011, 12:43:56 pm »

I will train Ishar to kill tiny baby men goblins.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 85