Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173436 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2011, 12:46:30 pm »

Why me?  I did everything you asked!  You can't do this to me!  I demand a lawyer immediately!

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2011, 12:56:47 pm »

I have a feeling if we had a lawyer they would meet an unhappy 'acident' on account of all those most terrible seiges.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2011, 12:59:30 pm »

oh wow! I was a fisherdwarf!!!  8) I shall catch all of the fish!!!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

A catapult! Can I has it? Please?
Also:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The amount of cages&chains assigned to justice is highly favorable for Remale to get knuckle through the head.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:52 pm »

Wait, what was my mandate? Also, raw adamantine always leaves a stone regardless of miner skill.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2011, 11:45:31 pm »

Seems like things may be getting intresting. Waiting for the next update.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 30, 2011, 11:05:59 am »

((just a short thing for now. Working on the Secret Weapon, which may or may not be deserving of capital letters))

Good Lord, The Siege Still Goes On:

After reviewing the case with Hamlet, Person decided to let Remalle go free. The sentence had been for failing to produce and amulet, which he was willing to admit was not much of a much. Besides, over 100 days had already passed since the “crime” had happened.

They would need the jail for worse crimes soon enough.

Turk was frustrated. Frustrated by her research into adamantine, (wafers? Strands? None of it made the least bit of sense!) and frustrated by the sheer interminable dullness of the siege. So, when Karakzon made a well-intentioned but badly timed joke about her name and a certain bird, Turk let some of her frustration out.

By punching Karakzon in the face. The two were in the old dining room when it happened, and Karakzon was mostly surprised by the blow. “You ok, Turk? You want a drink or something?”

“Oh, just shut up!” She picked up a chair and broke it over his helmet.

Karakzon  shook his head, a few splinters falling out of his beard. “Are you angry?” He turned to one of drinking companions. “I think she’s angry.”

Karakzon wasn’t harmed or even offended by the attack, but a crime was still a crime.

A few days after that, one of Gar’s team of pump operators had a “little incident”, as they were coming to be called. And he wasn't the only one.

He calmed down soon enough, but tempers all around Oceanbridge were becoming very frayed. It was time to do something about the siege .

((Some things: The mandate was for a single amulet, and happened a while back, actually. I got confused about the order of events. The catapult was meant for Di. She has launched a few stones in the general direction of the siege, to absolutely no effect at all.))

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2011, 12:20:36 pm »

I wonder, what's so special about the outside that everyone get upset due to inability to go there. I mean, of course there are someones friends rotting but that can't affect everyone.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:57 pm »

That amused me :) dont htink my dwarf is particularly tought eather is he? dont belive ive seen his character sheet :P
Good thing she didnt go to ?hospital? prison for long though.

A kitchen might make things better -quality food- or some statues in a garden area.

Why did my brain subtitue prison for hospital?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 02:29:24 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 30, 2011, 01:46:52 pm »

Karakzon is mighty, oddly enough. Probably all those rocks he's been picking away at. Plus he was wearing armor.

Otherwise, there's a bit of unhappiness in the fort due to the various deaths and whatnot. These are some of the friendliest dwarfs I've ever had; give them even half a second off work and they suddenly sprout a dozen friends.  What I'm saying is that things might go south very quickly if we aren't careful. Fun!

Right now it's only about six individual dwarfs who are "unhappy", and only one who is "miserable".

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 30, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

The Siege Ends:

From the Journals of Abanbrothertreaties:

Well, the siege is over.

YES!

Unfortunately, none of us can claim credit for the thing ending. The goblins just… up and left. Perhaps they weren’t feeling challenged in their roles as murderous invaders?

Still, it wasn’t for lack of effort. Gar’s secret weapon is still under construction, he tells me. But Nix tried digging a series of tunnels to the various dry ponds, the idea being to shoot at the enemy from below.

Instead that damn cave swallow riding goblin shot Shina in the leg.

We did manage to drive the beak wolfs off that way, so all credit to Guy on that. (And boy is he taking it.)

But that’s that. Now we can get to work rebuilding our defenses, burying our dead, and just try to forget that whole thing happened. I mean, it’s got to be a fluke, right? This place can’t be important enough to besiege more than once, right? Right.

Aban put her pen down in its inkwell, and slouched down in her chair. It was eerily silent down in her office, only occasional cries from the goblin they’d dumped in the blood pit could be heard. The fortress was almost empty; everyone else was outside, busy rebuilding.

She almost didn’t hear the screams. Almost. Less than a minute later she was running up the stairs to the meeting hall, where she saw Mormota running the other way. She grabbed the crafter by the shoulder before she could make it past. "What is it now? More goblins? Evil rabbits? Has the queen arrived?"

"No, elves!"

"Elves? But the elves are friendly!." Aban thought that over. "Well, mostly friendly."

"Not these ones!"

((AAAAAAAAAAARGH))

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 30, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »

Because I lack the words for this new siege, I believe I must link a video to show everyone the outcome of the battle. Or part of it at least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WHptG35EWU

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 31, 2011, 02:41:12 pm »

Which side were we on?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 31, 2011, 05:23:38 pm »

The losing side. T.T
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 31, 2011, 10:33:09 pm »

The Battle for Oceanbridge, Part One: Elves and Elfs and Goblins

Once more war came to threaten the dwarfs of Oceanbridge, once more they rose as one to defend their home from those who would destroy it.

An army of maniacal elfs, driven mad by their mad way of living, came in the summer. Their leader rode a war Giraffe, a murderous steed. They were ten in number, but they did not come alone,

for the goblins rode with them. Well, when I say they rode, I mean walked, but they did ride in a sense. They came riding evil. Yes.

The Soulchopper Derm declared the siege to be the work of the elvish merchants, who had arrived bare moments before. This was proved to be false, as the attackers bore down on the poor merchants with a violence that surprised all who witnessed it.

Person, the mayor, determined that the time for hiding was over, and that they must fight! This was a great relief to all. Waiting around doing nothing was dull.

While the Great Trap was as yet incomplete, the small corridor of traps… was complete. More or less. The elfs and goblins would be drawn down the pathway, and those that did not fall to the traps would face the steel of Oceanbridge. The steel, iron, bronze, and occasional fists of Oceanbridge, to be accurate.

The Battle for Oceanbridge, Part Two: Drownings and Stabbings

The elfs were lured down the corridor easily

and the first of them fell prey to a cage trap, crafted of wood but harder than the silver he bore. The second leapt over the trap, and fell prey to a pond of water. Never one to ignore an enemy, Heavy Weapons Guy dove after his foe, laughing hugely as he landed atop the stunned and drowning elf.

Ignoring the bolts he bore in the quiver on his back, he beat the enemy about the head with his iron crossbow, slaying him, and emerging soaked but triumphant.

Meanwhile, the goblins ran joyfully into the arms of the cage traps. Two survived, only to be split in twain, (or four, rather. Fain?) by Shina, swordsdwarf and maniac.

Then came the Giraffe.

The Battle for Oceanbridge, Part Three: Leaf-Eating Death

The traps were exhausted, quivers had been emptied. Still the enemy came. The warriors of Oceanbridge felt no fear, (at least, not that anyone is aware of. Not the kind of thing you admit, really), as they met the elfs in battle.

Derm killed one quickly, parting his head from his body and his soul from this world. But then the War Giraffe, murderous bloodthirsty herbivore that it was, knocked the great commander from his feet, and its rider smashed his hand.

But Derm rose undaunted, and furious. He slew them both.

The loss of their leader and his mighty steed broke the elfs, and they tried to flee the land that had once thought easy to despoil. They did not succeed, and not one of them escaped with his or her life.

Many had been wounded, including Derm, but none had lost their lives.  Victory was once again with the Dwarfs of Oceanbridge.

((well, that went better. Happy Halloween, for those who celebrate it. Enjoy the endless bloodshed.))
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 85