Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173859 times)

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #210 on: November 03, 2011, 01:36:38 pm »

MEDIC IS SPY

+!!scientist!!+

• Bay Watcher
  • I came to have fun, but then I found !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2011, 04:18:49 pm »

I... hugged derm?

I forsee me soul being in many pieces in 2 frames.

Although I must say I agree completly with my dwarf self when it comes to horrors of twillight.
"what are all these shapes? Why are they moving around. What do they want from me?"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 04, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

((A very short update. Busy, still a bit sick.))

Late Summer 194:

“So we’ve got a deal?”

“Yes,  Brothertreaties. Ten limestone mugs for ten barrels of spirits, various; twenty-five logs, pine;  six weapons, iron; and two bars of metal, bronze.”

“I have to ask… why do you buy so many mugs? I mean, they’re… well, they don’t seem like they would be worth all that much.”

The merchant shrugged. “To you and me, no. But the tourists love ‘em.”

“What?”

His possible explanation was interrupted by shouts and the sound of cage traps being sprung. (A sort of woody, “sproing” sound). “Oh, damn it. Another ambush!”

The first group of goblins had come, or tried to come through the front gate of Oceanbridge, not far from where Aban and the merchant were talking. Their defenses had improved since the last attack, though, and every single goblin fell to a cage trap.

Before Aban could breathe a sigh of relief (the appropriate thing to do, she thought), Heavy Weapons Guy, who was on patrol, shouted “Six more of the bastards to the north! Leave them to me!”

The merchant watched with interest. “Ah, one of the famous dwarf marksmen! I’ve always wanted to see them in action.”

Aban peered out the where the fight was starting. “ Oh various gods... You might not get a chance! Guy, you forgot your bolts again! You’ve got to... never mind.”

It didn’t seem to matter, as it worked out. Three goblins survived Guy’s attack, but only by running away as fast as their narrow little legs would carry them.

Next: Mandates, Blackmsiths, and Hungry Heads

((A little fact: while I know that Heavy Weapons Guy is from Team Fortress 2, I've never actually played that game. Which is why I haven't referenced it much.))

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 04, 2011, 12:58:39 pm »

I see, well most of what I say is one of his quotes. But anyways, hes just caving in skulls with his crossbow. You might wanna give him some arrows though..

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 04, 2011, 07:02:31 pm »

I wonder if he had fired a single bolt. Maybe it's time to give him some heavy weapon, you know, heavy as a hammer  ;)
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 04, 2011, 10:16:52 pm »

((that's an idea. We do have one artifact hammer... Anyway, another quick update, because I forgot to introduce Ferrus!))

Oceanbridge Has a Cards Night:

Turk, Nerev, Kogut, and the new blacksmith Ferrus were sitting around a table near the smelters, setting up for the weekly metalsmith card game, when Person came down the stairs.

Kogut waved. “Here he is, the former mayor, himself. Pull up a chair, Person, and we’ll deal you in.”

“No time.” Person looked annoyed. “Like you said, we’ve got a new mayor, and he’s a man with plans.” He pulled a roll of paper out of his apron and dropped it on the table. “Mandate. Three black bronze items.”

Turk stared. “Black bronze?  Have we even got any black bronze?”

Person shrugged. “Aban will probably know that. Either way, it’s up to us to fulfill his wishes. Shall we draw straws to see who gets stuck with the job?”

“Better yet”, Kogut said “We’ll deal cards.” He shuffled the deck (a bit difficult, as the cards were made out of sheets of limestone, but Kogut was an old pro) and dealt out five cards to each of them.

“Let’s see... that’s a pair of Clouds for Nerev, a Spirit of Flame high for Ferrus, a run of Severed Hands for Person, a pair of Forgotten Beasts for Turk, and I’ve got... a Rakust the Terrible, Striking Down a Dwarf high. Looks like you lose, Ferrus. Sorry.”

“Wait, I thought Spirit of Flame was higher than Rakust... right?”

“Don’t be ridiculous.” Kogut gathered up the cards and began shuffling again. “I do wonder if we really should have based the card values off of Aussie Evil’s engravings. Too late now, I guess.” He dealt out another hand. Ferrus grumbled and began the long walk up to the storeroom.

On his way up the the storerooms, Ferrus and a fish dissector were attacked by something they could only describe as “a flying head, but see, it looked hungry”.

Bayar was fortunately on hand to dispatch the thing, and crushed it into an unrecognizable pulp, leaving little clue as to what it actually was.

Ferrus:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 05, 2011, 01:28:44 am »

I just realized that I worship the god of death. What's the other deity I worship, though?
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 05, 2011, 07:57:19 am »

Speaking of gods, maybe you could take stock of the gods worshipped throughout the fortress? So far it looks like a LOT of dwarves are in a freaking death cult. This might serve as an interesting twist.

Edit: Wow, I actually share some traits with my dwarf IRL. :o

Edit²: I foresee a sound lashing and/or some days in prison for my dwarf.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 08:08:31 am by Ferrus »

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 05, 2011, 10:51:19 am »

((Rakust does have a lot of worshipers, it's true. Here is a list of named dwarfs and who they worship.

Gods of Oceanbridge

Rakust - Skeletal male dwarf, associated with death.
Steddad the Mountain of Spines - male dwarf, mountains and wealth.
Tholtig - Female dwarf, fortresses.
Atir - male dwarf, night and jewels.
Datan - male dwarf, earth
Bisol Cherishedright - female dwarf, generosity

Nix – Rakust, Steddad
Karakzon – Rakust
Derm – Tholtig
Aussie Evil – Rakust, Tholtig
Antymattar – Rakust, Steddad
Alkhemia – Tholtig, Datan
Gary Featherlog – Steddad
Ishar – Rakust, Steddad
Nerev – Bisol, Rakust
Ferrus – Rakust, Bisol
HWG – Steddad, Atir
Person – Tholtig, Atir
Koguy – Bisol, Datan
Remalle – Datan, Rakust
Bayar – Tholtig, Rakust
Shina – Tholtig, Bisol
Mormota – Datan, Bisol
Hamlet – Atir, Rakust
Turk -  Tholtig, Bisol
Di – Datan, Atir
Jacen – Tholtig
Gar – Steddad, Bisol
Scientist – Bisol, Atir
Aban – Datan
Anderz – Rakust
Balnash – Datan

Rakust – 11, Steddad – 6 Atir – 5 Tholtig – 8 Bisol – 8 Datan - 6

I find it interesting that several dwarfs see no problem worshiping both the god of death and the god of generosity. Update coming later today.))

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 05, 2011, 11:46:49 am »

I see it that Rakust acts as a psychopomp, releasing the souls of the dead from their torment. Of course, he gets really angry if he doesn't make his monthly quota.

Also, I like to think the image of Rakust striking down a dwarf was made after my guy had an encounter with some mussels.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 12:36:32 pm by aussieevil »
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 05, 2011, 11:48:32 am »

Bayar was fortunately on hand to dispatch the thing, and crushed it into an unrecognizable pulp, leaving little clue as to what it actually was.

It was moving. I fixed that.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 05, 2011, 01:42:34 pm »

Do I still have that one kill, and that's it, nothing interesting since then?
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 05, 2011, 04:14:29 pm »

((nothing yet, Ishar. Your guy is actually always late for fights. Otherwise he hangs out by the archery range))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties, Early Autumn, 194:

Well, when it rains, it causes a massive storm that utterly destroys everything you ever knew. (And it pours, too.)

We had another ambush. The new mayor was out there, looking over the bridge when the goblins found him.

Apparently they had axes, so what they did to him wasn’t too pretty. (Imagine that. Except that I would rather not). Derm managed to rally some soldiers who weren’t down wounded from the various other fights, and fought the things off.

So, good! But he got a broken arm in the process. Two others wounded as well. So, less good.

And Scientist told me that the doctors are so overwhelmed that they can’t take care of everyone as well as they should. One of the soldiers died from an infection.

Sheesh.  A few years back I might have asked “can it get any worse?” I’m not going to ask that now.

We have a new mayor. Lokum Gemkiss. No, I don’t know him.

Next: Misery, Madness, and a Visit from the Gods.

((lot of unhappy dwarfs right now.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 06, 2011, 03:25:55 am »

Let unhappies play at the shore, that will cheer them up! =)

Also, speaking of gods... we need one high-skilled worshipper of each god, to make masterwork statues of each. This pantheon must be placed at Bridge's borders.

Don't let those greenies interrupt our project!!! More traps for them!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 06, 2011, 09:07:41 am »

Tholtig - Female dwarf, fortresses.
Looks like that Tholtig Cryptbrain the legendary warrior queen of dwarves has earned to be the goddess in this realm.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 85