Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173633 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #225 on: November 06, 2011, 01:38:51 pm »

Tholtig - Female dwarf, fortresses
This should be enshrined as bay12 lore in my eyes.

anyways:
you could see about trying to make an indoor harbour of some kind so you can make the dwarves enjoy the waves wile in their dinning room :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:56 pm »

As far as I'm aware, mist generated from waves doesn't actually cause positive thoughts.

Or at least it didn't the last time I tried.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 06, 2011, 11:46:48 pm »

It would probably be more or less evened out by the drowning.
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 07, 2011, 02:26:25 am »

As far as I'm aware, mist generated from waves doesn't actually cause positive thoughts.

Or at least it didn't the last time I tried.
At least bloodstains after tantrum fights will be washed away...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 07, 2011, 01:23:07 pm »

((is this update too text heavy?))

More Justice, More Cheese
:

The trouble always seemed to start in the old dining room, Nix noticed. He and Karakzon were enjoying some of the new drinks that had been “liberated” from the abandoned elf caravan when the cook Sakzul... lost his temper.

Specifically, he lost it on one of his assistants, bashing him in the face with a cast-iron frying pan. While the loud “clong” it made was somewhat amusing, the assistant cook’s broken lip and shattered nose were not.

“How many times do I have to tell you, you got to form the plump helmets into pleasing cake! How godsdamned hard is it to” His rant was interrupted by a tap on the shoulder.

Hamlet was standing behind him. “Hi. I just want to say that I really enjoy your work, especially that thing you do where you get that perfect layer of browned cheese over the soup. That’s a delight, really. Also, I’m sorry about this.” She then punched him square in the gut. Sakzul doubled over, then fell on the floor, dropping his pan.

“Believe me, this hurts me... well, not much. But I want you to know that I’ll miss your cooking, and that I hope you recover quickly.” She kicked him hard in the chest.

Nix turned away from the beating and watched as the assistant was helped away, draining his mug. “I think I’d like to get back to work, Karakzon. How about you?” Karakzon nodded.

In the following weeks, another recruited died from an infection. One of the bonecarvers hid himself away in a craft shop, emerging with an oddly shaped animal trap crafted from even stranger bones. Most agreed that it was a message from the gods, but which god and what the message meant, no one could agree.

The sign in the dining room had read “Important Meeting of the Fortress Elders Tonight. Location: The Office of the Mayor. As the sign hadn’t bothered to define just who qualified as a “Fortress Elder”, the room had become rather packed.

The new mayor, Lokum Gemkiss was small, even for a dwarf.  He was also immaculately dressed in a fine silk suit that gleamed in the torchlight. Most of the dwarfs present only vaguely recognized him, usually as “just some guy who’s around a lot. You know. He’s a nice guy, I think.” The few who knew him better knew him as a soft spoken, friendly man, a little shy around crowds, maybe.  But he spoke quite clearly over the nervous chatter of this crowd.

“Thank you all for coming! Let me just say that it is wonderful to see you all here, especially our dear founders.” He gave a friendly wave to Gar and Aban, “Lovely to see you both, and your two sons as well.”

Gar shrugged, and Aban looked around, puzzled, until she remembered that her sons had followed her in. Or at least some children had followed her, and she was fairly sure they were hers.

Lokum turned his dazzling smile and suit on Turk, Nix, and Karakzon. “And, of course, the miners! I think it no small compliment to say that we would not even be here were it not for you two. And as for our metalsmiths, well! I think I need hardly mention the enormous debt we owe you.” Next he singled out Heavy Weapons Guy, Derm, Cilob and Bayar. “Our brave soldiers!” His face become serious almost instantly. “I was deeply sorrowed to hear about the loss of one of your comrades recently. Rest assured that I have spoken with the chief doctor, and he has told me that we shall not lose another to such an infection.

"And, as I mention our doctors...”

And on he went, the wave of compliments washing over everyone. Lokum even found a few words for Jacen the soapmaker. “- without whom we would not be nearly so clean.”

Gar didn't trust a word of what was being said, but was beginning to think he was alone in feeling suspicious. Looking around, it seemed as though every one else was either relieved or happy. Clearing his throat, he said “All this is good. We’re wonderful people. I get it. But why did you call us in here?”

Lokum beamed at him. “An excellent question, Gar! While I do feel that it is important to reiterate just how marvelously we’ve all done since arriving on this blessed Island, there are a few other matters. First, I am officially promoting Nix and Karakzon to Head Engineers in charge of Housing Development.”

Nix raised his hand “What does that mean?”

“You are in charge of building of our new rooms, naturally. We’ve been living in those poky little sand hovels for far too long. While the exact specifications of the scheme will be left up the Head Engineers, I feel that a four by four chamber with cabinet, chest, and well crafted bed may be a good starter unit. And our more established members may be eligible for something greater!”

Gar found himself nodding in spite of his cynicism. Well, it was reasonable. They did need new bedrooms.

“I also feel that a waterfall, or something of that nature may just what is needed to accentuate our already fine dining room. This would be left up to our Head Architect, Gar, and the chief Water Engineers Nerev, Alkhemia, and Di. I'm sure we can all trust them to help improve the overall mood of our home, which I will admit had suffered in some small respects.”

Now Remalle spoke up. “What about the crafters? Do we get anything special?”

“I am so very glad that you asked that, Remalle! As head of the Project for the Beautification of Oceanbridge, the fine details of that will be left up to you. But I have the fullest confidence in your abilities!”

Lokum was still smiling as he opened a drawer in the desk and held up a small sheet of paper. “One final little item. Our dear queen, whom I am privileged to represent in our local government here, is, as you know, a firm worshiper of Tholtig. So, as a favor to her and myself, of course, it would be appropriate if the worship of some of those other lesser gods, important as they may be in their own circles, would cease, for the time being.”

It took the gathered dwarfs a few minutes to get through the maze of words to the meaning at the center. It was Aban that spoke. “Wait... so are you saying we can’t follow our own religions?”

Lokum laughed; a rich, genuine laugh. “Oh, no no! You are, of course, free to worship in whatever way you see fit! She simply suggests that you do not worship those gods that our queen has deemed... unfit for dwarfs. In particular Rakust, who I am sure you would all agree is hardly an appropriate god for these times. But no one is required to follow these orders, naturally. Though I do not think anyone will protest if we remove a few of those statues and engravings of gods that may be... objectionable to some.” He began to speak louder to make himself heard over the muttering. “That is all for now! I’m sure I can meet with you all one by one should you have any questions, but for now, you are all dismissed!”

The meeting broke up eventually, hastened by the arrival of several very large dwarfs who stood by the door and motioned, very pointedly, for everyone to leave.

((things might be happening. stick around.))

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 07, 2011, 01:53:47 pm »

Request to step up my millatery trainning a bit more.
Any who would aha 'punish' Karakzon or any other miner for his choice in worship will soon learn why picks arnt to be nose-turned up at. my personal freinds more so.

All else fails just put in an offical request to make a shrine/minor temple to the other gods away from the main fortress in a pocket underground somewere -with some muddy bits, a water source and ability to seal itself off from the other dwarves not in the offical plans, incase anyone decides those in the shrine should stay their indefinatly.

Journel Of Karakzon:

Some barechined Beardling lapdog of the queen was put in charge a wile ago, well, we found out his plan today. I dont know why their targetting our personal religious rights, but when your a miner, you give all the prayers you can in the hopes that the god of death dosent come to claim you with a few hundred tones of stone on your head, firedamp, magma, cave critters and in this place, aquifyer caused drowning. I wont be openly opposed to anything the fool trys on me, but if he harms any of the miners over this hes going to learn why we stick together durng dangerous, cave in prone digs. Ill put in an offical request to see if we can side step this, but im not hopefull, he seems to be the kind to follow the queen to the letter by the looks of those hired thugs who came with the last trade caravan. And be enthusiastic besides. Still, we shall see.

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ferrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 07, 2011, 06:10:34 pm »

I really like the way you portrait dwarven families. Both children AND parents mostly oblivious to each other. Just like it is in game terms.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 08, 2011, 01:45:06 am »

I think, it's recklessly for the queen to offense Rakust for Thotlig's pleasure... after all, we're going to become Mountainhome soon, and queen will arrive, and who knows the ways of god's vengeance...
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 08, 2011, 11:01:35 am »

SOAP! I MUST MAKE SOAP! BWAHAHAHAHA!
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

IcepickTrotsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 08, 2011, 11:19:58 am »

Balnash's Scribbles

I got new fixed feelings 'bout the new Mayor. I didn' vote for 'im, but the promise of larger, newer rooms sounds pretty good. On the topic o' religion, don't get me wrong, Tholtig's a fine deity, worthy o'worship, but she isn' my partic'lar choice. On t'other hand, worshippin' a deity o'death is a bit off in me own eye, much better to be worshippin' somethin' more solid behind life, like the earth.

But he did say we could worship whoever and however we want... I'm guessin' we'll see.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 08, 2011, 01:03:03 pm »

who knows the ways of god's vengeance...
I'd raise my hand, but I need it to pull the lever. :P

Also, gotta watch that temper, Sakzul. Cheese Maker solidarity, don'tcha know.
Stay solid, Erush; Big Sis Hamlet has your back. *briefist*
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 08, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »

((No time for an update right now, but here is a small 3D picture of the fort.

The picture depresses me.

In good news, the magma pump stack is on its way to completion. I hope.))

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 08, 2011, 04:57:51 pm »

How can you have a fortress without death ? How are we supposed to kill off invaders if the god of death is not helping us ?

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 08, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

I RETURN!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 08, 2011, 09:50:30 pm »

((so I see!))

An Incident in Oceanbridge: Early Winter 194

Aka Flutepetal the Strength of Canyons didn’t know where they were, or why they had come there. All they knew was that there had been a strange, buzzing sort of feeling in their heads, and so they had followed that feeling, arguing all the way. Ettins were confused creatures under normal circumstances, as having two heads with starkly contrasting personalities and personal philosophies would cause anyone trouble.

They could agree on one thing, however: Killing dwarfs was a good time. And so when saw the walls of Oceanbridge, they stopped arguing about the nature of suffering, and got down to causing some.

They did not figure on Gar’s patented “One Size Fits All Collapsible Cage Traps”. Just how a creature the size of an Ettin could fit inside a small wooden cage was a knotty problem indeed, and one that Aka Flutepetal the Strength of Canyons would have quite a lot of time to spend unraveling.

Most of the dwarfs, distracted as they were by other matters, hardly even noticed that they had just been attacked.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 85