Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173537 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #435 on: December 09, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »

If there's something strange
in your neighborhood
Who you gonna call? - Ghostbusters!
If there's something weird
and it don't look good

I ain't afraid of no ghost

If you're seeing things
running through your head
Who can you call? - Ghostbusters!
An invisible man
sleeping in your bed
Oh, who can you call? - Ghostbusters!

If you're all alone
pick up the phone
and call - Ghostbusters!

I hear it likes the girls
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

If you've had a dose
of a freaky ghost
You'd better call - Ghostbusters!

(instrumental)

Let me tell you something
Bustin' makes me feel good

Don't get caught alone, oh no
Ghostbusters!
When it comes through your door
Unless you just want some more
I think you better call - Ghostbusters!
Ow!

Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 09, 2011, 02:31:38 pm »

The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:39 pm »

Show must go on! We have to make many crutches... Oh. Here we're back to pirates theme.
"They called him Johnny"(c)

karate Yak is amazing, btw.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:47 pm »

Seriously though. How many dwarfs are there, yet to be buried? I know engraving one by one can be a bitch, and I suppose burial is not an option since half the place is flooded, but still: your dwarfs may have a decent supply of limbs, they're going to run out of them sooner or later at this rate.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 09, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »

you may have to use DF/hack and delete the ghosts after errecting a monument of some kind for them -since doing things an easy way needs to be paid for in effort-
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: December 09, 2011, 05:21:35 pm »

you may have to use DF/hack and delete the ghosts after errecting a monument of some kind for them -since doing things an easy way needs to be paid for in effort-

I've gotta agree. If it sounds plausible and is suitably epic then it also makes for a better story. Maybe something on/to the side of the bridge with a lot of gold, jewels, and coffins with engraved slabs to the nicknamed dwarfs. I like having both my arms and legs. I need them as insurance during the next siege.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: December 09, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »

Seriously though. How many dwarfs are there, yet to be buried? I know engraving one by one can be a bitch, and I suppose burial is not an option since half the place is flooded, but still: your dwarfs may have a decent supply of limbs, they're going to run out of them sooner or later at this rate.

Most have actually been buried. The problem now is A: The slab bug, and B: Remains being unreachable. And by unreachable, I mean that they are on the opposite side of the map. The side we're building a bridge to, which we will have no access to for some time. There's only one violent ghost left now, and that's his situation.

There's also one moaning ghost who I can't engrave a slab for, and whose remains don't even seem to exist anymore if the stockpile screen is to be believed, but he's not as much of an issue.

If I use Df/hack (which I'm not sure how to use), I'll come up with an in-story explanation for what happens. And giant monuments go without saying, really.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: December 10, 2011, 01:29:11 am »

We need a Peace-spray T-shirt. Also, in response of The Scout crushing someones head in.

BONK

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: December 10, 2011, 11:44:37 am »

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished, Late Summer 197

Dear readers, I can only hope that my poor powers of description are adequate to the task of opening your eyes to the sheer variety of creatures that we have encountered since arriving in Oceanbridge. One can say “six limbed three eyed ape beast”, but does the reader truly understand? For one, that simple phrase cannot capture the sound, nor the stench of said creatures!

Similarly, if I were to describe to you an iridescent bird, standing on two legs, higher than a dwarf, yet with all the mannerisms of a wolf, would that really illustrate the terror that such an animal inspires?

Perhaps if I continued, saying that the wolf was also rabid, starving, and believed that you resembled a fine five course meal with drinks and good company, as well as cure for rabid-ness that would only be effectual when consumed? Perhaps. But I digress.

I mention this, for it was an army of just that sort of animal that attacked us.

They arrived in mid-summer, and were immediately recognized by Balnash and Remalle as old enemies of Oceanbridge. Balnash explained that while they bit and clawed hard, their skin and feathers provided no obstacle to good steel, so he and the rest of the army repaired to the field, the noble Peacespray at their side. I joined them shortly thereafter, my trusty iron sword in hand.

The battle was quite short, fortunately, with not a single death or wound sustained by our soldiers. I still have yet to land a blow, but Di-2 was the hero of the day, with two kills to her name.

Peacespray, of course, showed his mettle once again, defying all who would interrupt his grazing.

He is a king among yaks.

Neo put on a fine show with his new iron whip, itself a weapon that is a wonder to behold. That dwarf puzzles me sometimes; he so strongly resembles my old friend that they seem almost one and the same in my mind.

The siege is over, the feast has begun, and if that were not enough good news, human merchants have arrived at the gate! I can only imagine what they have brought to trade from their distant homes. I'll soon find out, I suppose.

Things appear to be on the move up, here in Oceanbridge.

Next: Down.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: December 10, 2011, 12:12:17 pm »

Log Journal of Siverix Summer 197

A battle has been fought this summer and the heroic Yak what the human merchants have left behind has been a tremendous help for our militia i hear. I wonder if the overseer has considered my suggestion to build a giant statue in the honor this magnificent animal once the bridge itself is finished. Perhaps i will ask him.

OOC: I hope my mess of a journal is understandable 

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: December 10, 2011, 07:07:59 pm »

Diary of 'G', Summer, 197.

A bloody good show we had put on earlier today! Those stinkin' apemen think they can tear down the mighty walls of Oceanbridge and crush the will of G, they have another thing comin'!

'tis a shame though: I would really love to capture one and have it in my room, just like the one Goblin I requested to be captured and placed in my room back home!

Hmm, maybe I could put in a request, but then again, I would have to feed it and such. Bah, who am I kidding? If one dies, I'll just request another to be put in!

Sometimes thinking about life back in the mountainhomes makes me think of all the memories I had, like when I broke Urists' hand for trying to cheat out of a drinking game by replacing his mugs of beer with water- bah, water! That's for Elves! Still though, I wish I could do more drinking games with Urist, shame he gave his life to protect the 'homes from a siege of Goblins...
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: December 10, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »

It's nice to see an actually successful military effort once in a while. Yay!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: December 11, 2011, 06:22:20 pm »

If another big siege happens, we should go down fighting on the Bridge.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2011, 06:43:05 pm »

While I understand the sentiment, I hope not to go down fighting, or go down at all, as it is.

This isn't an update. Updates might be a bit off and on, because I'm working two jobs now. Bah. Hooray for money, but still, bah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: December 11, 2011, 10:37:21 pm »

All fortresses die eventually. Losing is fun is the motto for a reason.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 85