Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173882 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #450 on: December 11, 2011, 11:18:49 pm »

Hellcannon didn't die.

It just became more powerful.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 12, 2011, 12:19:32 pm »

((Short update!))

A Hero Departs

“Let me tell you, it is just wonderful to see some new merchants around here, my friend. All we’ve had is the odd elf or two, and while they’re wonderful if you want a slightly used badger for your dining room, they aren’t much for conversation!” Wilberforce clapped the human merchant on the back, as he tended to do when he was feeling cheerful. “Tell me of the world, my boy. I wish to hear all.”

The human merchant was a bit taken aback by the reception. Dwarfs, her experience told her, were usually not so forcefully friendly. They didn’t call you ‘my boy’. As for the question... “The world still exists? There’s still that army of monsters wandering about the mountains, I hear. We got a good crop of rope weed this spring, I hear, and- Hey! That’s my old yak!”

Your yak? Are you sure? That yak, my friend, is Peacespray! Peacespray the Spry Pleats of Attacking! He’s a champion here!”

“No, I’m sure of it. See?” Peacespray himself had been meandering toward the trade depot while the conversation was going on. Now, on seeing the merchant, he lowed quietly and, to Wilberforce’s surprise, gently nuzzled the human. “I raised him from a baby yak myself. I thought he’d been lost forever when we had to leave this place the last time. I thought one of you fellows would have killed and eaten him. They didn't eat you, know did they boy?” The last was directed at Peacespray, something that Wilberforce took a moment to understand.

He began to protest “Nonsense! But...” He then caught a glimpse of Peacespray’s eyes, and knew the argument was lost. He didn’t mind telling the human where to shove her request, but Peacespray was not an animal you would defy, and he clearly wanted to go back home.

The human merchants left soon after, and Peacespray went with them. It could not be confirmed if he had looked back at the fortress he had defended so well, sadness filling his tremendous black eyes, but he probably didn’t. Yaks don’t think like that.

He had not killed a huge number of enemies; it had been his terrifying hooves and the wounds they caused that drove besieging armies away. But his record was good, nonetheless.

The day after Peacespray’s departure, it was universally decided that they would build a monument to the mighty creature.

While the exact nature of the design was still being debated (the Scout’s suggestion that the nostrils spew flame and booze being the most problematic), Wilberforce agreed that they could start work on at least the feet imediately. Once they decided whether his left front hoof should be crushing an ape-man, or kicking in a badger’s skull, or... Well, they would start something, soon.

Next: Tigers and Bears and a Cavy or Three.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 12, 2011, 03:08:52 pm »

Well, we all knew he wouldn't stay with us forever, and the day when our paths separate has come  :'(
May Tholtig aid him wherever his destination lies. The Peacespray, a hero that brought us several years of peace and safety.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 12, 2011, 04:20:37 pm »

I think Peacespray's monument should be with hooves on both sides of the end of the bridge, so you have to pass beneath him when you want to get on the bridge.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 12, 2011, 06:27:34 pm »

Peacesprays is the kind of Yak Tholtig would ride into battle my dear sir.

I suggest you do something simple, or get the crafters ot churn out statues untill he turns up in one and build a shrine for it. :)

also: save the game, so you can add the entity raws back in if the nemesis bug strikes and we dont lose this yak. I want to see his legends page after the fortress inevitably completes its mission.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: December 12, 2011, 06:57:57 pm »

Damn! Our military force has just gone down 70 percent.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 12, 2011, 11:25:00 pm »

((Just an update to get two more dwarfings in.))

Migrants Arrive, Autumn 197

Another small group of migrants, refugees, or whatever else you would call them had arrived at Oceanbridge. Roy hadn’t had much to do with that, or with anything else “important” since she herself had arrived. There was a whole host of untrained animals just sitting trapped in cages, so she had busied herself with feeding, washing, and caring for them. She’d had the most luck with the tiger bought from the elves, a gentle critter who, thanks to her training, would turn into a raging engine of destruction when threatened.

So she was surprised when one of the newest arrivals approached her directly and began talking.

“Young woman! Could you direct me to the captured animals that this fortress has collected in its existance? I have traveled a great length in order to study the creatures who dwell here, who my now sadly deceased nephew tells me, or told me, one should say; he told me that they present a greater variety and diversity of life than has been studied in the mountainhomes in some time. I have abandoned my previous studies in the Jungles of Salting in order to follow up on this eventualilty, and so I would be pleased if you would direct my bodyguard, a Mr. Anderson, who you will note is at my right, and you will direct I and he to the cages.”

Roy was stunned, overwhelmed by the words washing over her. She managed to get out “They’re over there," pointing at the cages which were just down the hall, in plain view.

The new dwarf smiled. “Excellent! Excellent! Professor Featherlog, who is who I am, thanks you. And I note that you seem to be accompaniesd by a exceptional example of the Gray Tiger, something I studied extensively in the jungles which I had mentioned earlier. I’ll send you a draft of my findings; you’ll find them well worth the time. Come, Mr. Anderson!”

Featherlog went down the hall, pausing to exclaim over every other cage. "Cavys! And a Hungry Head! Riches beyond imagining!"

Roy went back to grooming the tiger. There was also a grizzly bear that she was intending to train to kill mercilessly on command, but it would have to wait until the crazy dwarf left.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next: Autumn is the Dullest Season.

((I think that's everyone. Is it? Every time I think I got everyone, there turns out to be one that I forgot. Also, I like the idea of Peacespray standing over the bridge.))

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 12, 2011, 11:43:50 pm »

I worship the same god twice...

What?
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 13, 2011, 12:06:24 am »

From the journal of Dr. KillPatient, Malpractitioner
  It would appear that the heroic yak "Peacespray" has left the fortress with his original proprietors, who arrived with the caravan earlier this season. A pity, really; for although he was mere animal, that yak administered fine medical treatment upon the invaders with only the force of his mighty hooves, horns, and teeth... In absence of a delicate surgical tool such as a battleaxe, the creature gracefully bit the injured paw off one of the invaders, relieving it of what would otherwise be excruciating pain. The invader seems to have bled to death under unrelated circumstances soon afterward. No matter, 'twas a noble effort.
  Farewell, noble Peacespray. You'll be dearly missed.

(( By the way, I don't think you ever posted my personality/skills/equipment pages. Could you do that in the next update? ))
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 13, 2011, 02:51:04 am »

Bye, Peacespray... We'll miss you and the peace you've sprayed  :'(

Wasn't yaks modded to be trainable? Maybe we should add it to world raws and make war yaks army!

*Uh. Is it possible to make dwarfs equip animals with something? Kind of animal armor, blades installed on thorns, and so on...*
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 13, 2011, 06:11:07 am »

He was Peacespray. He fought for peace, and made the blood of our enemies spray upon our fortress. The RED team would be proud.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:47 am »

Bye, Peacespray... We'll miss you and the peace you've sprayed  :'(

Wasn't yaks modded to be trainable? Maybe we should add it to world raws and make war yaks army!

*Uh. Is it possible to make dwarfs equip animals with something? Kind of animal armor, blades installed on thorns, and so on...*

I remember I gave a kitten adamantine armor in arena mode...
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 13, 2011, 01:38:22 pm »

Note from the Fortress, Autumn 197: Part One

There hadn’t been a siege in months. The ghosts had calmed down to the point that the endless tormented howling was just a pleasant background. And absolutely no one was going mad.

Wilberforce had been dreading this day. It meant that, with no disasters looming, he had only one job to do. He had to do the paperwork.

It was piled high, deep and wide. Proposals for Peacespray Memorials, requests for more work from the metal workers, requests for less work from the masons, requests for work, any work at all from Siverix...

At least some of the proposals were... interesting.

Ishar and Kogut had their first child, who they named Kogut III, Kogut apparently being one of those names that fit every gender.

Derm finally got a chance to test out his soul-chopping skills on a gremlin.

They worked pretty well, and he severed a few of the things limbs before Dr. Killpatient, concerned for the gremlin’s well-being, intervened with a medicinal hammer blow to its head.

The Good Doctor:

Roy had run out of large, dangerous animals to train, so she was working with the cavy’s they had captured. Perhaps she could train them to squeak the enemy to death.

Remalle was carving new engravings to liven up the bedrooms. Unfortunately, he had also acquired critics.

G had been watching Remalle's work with interest.

“The Tomb of Pants? That’s what you’re calling that one? Don’t get me wrong, it’s quite good, but I’m not sure I want something called the Tomb of Pants in my room.”

Remalle gritted his teeth. “It’s not about the pants, it’s about how our greatest efforts are watched and judged by the gods and-“

“And the pants, yes. Those are... the pants of the gods?”

“Forget about the pants, they’re not- Look, I’m just not that good at names, all right?”

Next: More Not Much of Anything!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 13, 2011, 06:07:16 pm »

This is just a calm before the storm, I tell you..

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 14, 2011, 02:01:19 pm »

((Short updates!))

A New Artifact:

Argon knew she shouldn’t complain too much. She was getting some work (forging hematite into iron bars. What work!) and she was better off here in Oceanbridge, compared to her old home. Here at least, life was moving forward. People were building toward something, even if they weren’t sure why. Back home there had been nothing but decay and waste, the old nobility rotting away in the jewel filled halls that no-one had the skill to maintain, much less reproduce.

She was far better off here.

Argon had been thinking along those lines for some time, to distract herself from the tedium of the work she was doing, when she noticed the dwarf name Mr. Anderson sneaking down the hall. He was a large man, not given to subtlety normally, so the sneaking was very, very obvious.

He didn’t notice that she followed him, which was interesting in itself. He had gathered a few bits of metal and rock in one of the old forges. “I wonder what’s he’s going to do there. He doesn’t have any fuel,” she thought. It was worth watching.

You didn’t see this kind of thing in the old Mountains, either. They had lost something, that essential energy, or creative drive, or whatever you wanted to call it. But here in Oceanbridge, it was still alive and well.

Well, something was alive and well. She saw him when he emerged, and the item he had crafted (somehow) could hardly be called creative.

But perhaps that had something to do with the psychology of the individual, she told herself. It was still something to see.

Next: Talking About Ghosts, and Goblins

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 85