Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 172314 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #495 on: December 21, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

((I don't remember writing most of that. Most of yesterday is a blur, in fact... oh well!))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished

Dear readers, I invite you to imagine the celebration that ensues when one breaks two sieges at once. I invite you to imagine it, as I don’t remember much other than the initial moments. The stockpiles of drink are quite depleted.

I do remember the nice little contest we set up in the arena built by the previous inhabitants. While the contest was small, it had its moments of glory and high humor. Unless the humor was low, I’ve never been sure of the difference between the two. I put a small amount down on the outcome, a friendly little wager. Now I only hope that the Scout’s memory has been as... muddled as my own.

We had placed a goblin thief, a flying head and one of those exceptionally angry badgers in the arena. The audience was gathered and the beasts duly released to do glorious battle with one another.

The badger struck first at the head, seeming to be offended by the very concept of flight.

Alas, its efforts were for naught, as the freakish head survived the assault and took flight, out of the arena itself (something we should have considered). This distraction enabled the goblin thief to claim victory. He fended off the rending teeth and claws of the badger, and struck it down with a single blow.

He was given his reward (in the form of silver crossbow bolts) and we all retired to the dining hall, myself having learned a valuable lesson. Never bet on the badger.

Next: Ghosts are (still) Problems.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 21, 2011, 01:34:34 pm »

Honey badger don't give a fuck.

Feel free to dorf me, as The Counselor, because ArmeggedonCounselor doesn't fit.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

bayar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 21, 2011, 06:12:29 pm »

Well that arena fight was amusing. Hopefully we'll get a yak next time.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 21, 2011, 06:29:31 pm »

Well that arena fight was amusing. Hopefully we'll get a yak next time.

'The Return of Peacespray'
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 21, 2011, 10:48:54 pm »

Interesting note: elf merchants arrived at the same time as the siege, and were slaughtered. The one survivor? A yak, who was knocked into an dry pond. Hm...

This is not an update.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 22, 2011, 11:18:14 am »

You should totally rescue that yak. Who knows how useful he may be in the future...
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 22, 2011, 11:44:12 am »

((Perhaps.))

A Short Discussion on Ghosts

Ishar and Kogut were dining with Remalle, Peregar and Balnash, and Bayar. They weren’t dining in the dining hall, for various reasons; instead they’d got together in the old mayor’s office. They were united in mutual suffering.

“It’s the endless howling that gets to me."

"I go to the dining hall, the thing is there, howling away. I thought ghosts lived in hard to reach places that, you know, people never went to!”

“You’re lucky, man.” Balnash said. “I’ve got the same ghost following me wherever I go. I don’t even remember the bastard that well, and that doesn’t stop ‘im."

"I haven’t had a night’s rest since the day it started.” He turned to Remalle. “I wish you could carve a damn memorial for the guy and get it done with.”

“I told you, I can’t memorialize someone when I don’t remember a single thing about them! It doesn’t work that way. I don’t know why, but it doesn’t. I mean, how would you like it if you’d died, and I wrote on your slab “Balnash: He Sure Was a Person.”

“I wouldn’t like it at all, but mainly because of the dyin’ part.”

“I guess the ghosts aren’t a real bad problem, compared to some of the other things around here.” Bayar put in.

“Oh yes”, Ishar said, a note of bitterness in her voice. “Ghosts aren’t that bad at all.”

“Hey, you know, you could say that the ghosts around here are ‘armless’! Eh?” The others stared at him.

“What?”

((My enthusiasm for the fort is at low ebb right now. Is it time to change things up a bit? I don't know.))

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2011, 12:19:09 pm »

((My enthusiasm for the fort is at low ebb right now. Is it time to change things up a bit? I don't know.))

oh. That's not good.  :o

Whatever you change, it should be epic!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »

Do something crazy. Finish the bridge, then build a new fortress on the other side that leads to the underworld.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2011, 04:26:30 pm »

When the bridge is finished, rig it so that if the fortress is about to be taken over, have it so that one lever pull will collapse the bridge. Make a fortress underneath the bridge as well, hanging underneath it.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 05:21:20 pm by jetex1911 »
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 24, 2011, 04:38:48 pm »

How far did you reach with the bridge itself? I imagine it's waaaaay far from finished.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 24, 2011, 06:34:02 pm »

This picture is somewhat outdated, but shows how far there is to the opposite shore, sort of. It's hard to judge the distance.

It's Christmas eve, and I'm baking pies. No update, not now at least.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 24, 2011, 06:35:04 pm »

MMMMM..What kind of pie?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 24, 2011, 06:40:31 pm »

MMMMM..What kind of pie?
PIE FLAVOUR PIE
I am a Goober.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 24, 2011, 06:46:51 pm »

MMMMM..What kind of pie?

Apple!

And a kind of sweet/savory traditional pie that I can't remember the name of. It had apples, and chicken, and cabbage, and wine, and onion and other great things in it. And I made the crust with lard, because lard is best.

I did not make recursive pie.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 85