Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 173955 times)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #510 on: December 25, 2011, 06:54:41 pm »

((Happy Winter Holiday Season! Still thinking this thing over. Tiny Update))

Meanwhile, In Oceanbridge, a Crisis!

“Wilberforce! It’s a disaster!” Ishar had run all the way to Wilberforce's office. She stopped to catch her breath.

“What? Tell me all, and spare not one detail!”

“Neo’s putting up a schist statue in the new dining hall!”

Wilberforce leapt up from his desk. “The damn fool! That room is made of basalt! Everyone knows you match schist with limestone, not basalt. He’ll doom us all!” He thought for a moment. “Quick, fetch me Urist Stidestrigoth’s Big Book of Architectural Errors. We’ve got to fix this, and now!”

The two of them rushed off.

There wasn’t much happening in Oceanbridge.

Next: A Conversation in the Mountainhomes.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
  • Update Stockpile Records
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: December 26, 2011, 03:51:18 pm »

wow man this fort is really awesome, i only wish those glass tubes carried rum instead of magma! i'm not done yet with reading but i well damn hope you go on with dermonster proposal of training war elephants!  :D
would you mind to dorf me as a gem cutter/beekeeper named Orcrist? i would like to have a nice obsidian short sword and get some practice with it during breaks, if possible  :)

by the way, now that i think of it, are constructed fortifications inmune to building destroyers?  i thought you had to get them carved from artificial obsidian if you wanted to construct them where there was no rock wall
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 04:49:35 pm by SirFellfire »
I recorded happiness levels, pulled the lever and recorded them again.
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: December 26, 2011, 05:38:56 pm »

Constructions are practically indestructible, save magma. Building destroyers will never destroy walls, floors and fortifications. What they can destroy are doors, floodgates, levers, workshops, etc.

By the way, do we have an arena? You could use it a little more to get a little FUN going. It could train the troops, and get a good chunk of your military force into intensive care. Everybody wins. Except the soldiers. And the prisoners.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: December 27, 2011, 08:54:04 am »

Derm had recovered, and then some.

And he had a new weapon.

Things were going to change.

that was an AWESOME TRAILER!
Also, Aussie Evil is doing fine. He's taken a lover recently. Everyone has. This is the fortress of love.

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: December 27, 2011, 11:20:34 pm »

Very nice fort & story thus far. Glad to see you reclaimed the site and are continuing onwards. I always enjoy fortress projects such as this one built out over the water. Loads of !!FUN!! usually. :P
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: December 27, 2011, 11:29:17 pm »

I have an idea: how about do side stories for the B12er's who have dwarves?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: December 28, 2011, 01:09:43 pm »

I have an idea: how about do side stories for the B12er's who have dwarves?

((An update on everyone extravaganza! That is what I will do. After this. I have been reinvigorated.))

Meanwhile, in a Different Place, Some Time Earlier:

Aban Brothertreaties pulled herself over the edge of the cliff face and collapsed on the dirt there. She’d finally found it, she was sure... The mountains were shaped right, the piles of refuse scattered in the valleys below smelled the same as when she had left... She had made it. She was back in the Mountainhomes.

She stood up, looked around, and saw ruin.

Aban stared. She stared for a solid minute, and nothing changed.

She was home, all right. The massive granite pillars that lined the entry way were still there, huge and immovable (wrong, actually, one had fallen). The steel gateway, standing thirty dwarf heights high, still stood mostly, though the right door caved in and warped.

The walls of the cliffs had been blackened by smoke from some tremendous fire, and enormous blocks had come tumbling down onto the grand road that lead into the mountains.

And if that isn’t enough to convince you that something terrible has happened, Aban thought, the mounds of skeletons might just do it. You didn't need to look too close at them to see that they were dwarfs. Something had gone wrong, horribly, horribly wrong. Aban sat down heavily, feeling numb.

It was then that she heard the voice.

Awaken, oh sleeper!”

She looked around. There was no one who could have spoken, unless skeletons had learned to talk, a point she wasn’t going to dismiss right now.

“Um... hello?”

There was a pause. Smoke continued to billow around the shattered doors in a halfhearted sort of way.

“Listen.” said the voice, “Could we start over? I had kind of planned this based on the idea you would be sleeping.”

“Ah.” She stood up, noting as she did that she had accidentally sat on a rather large skull. “Well, I guess?”

“Excellent.”  The voice did not clear its throat, but it did wait as if thinking, before saying “Stand, oh seeker, and hear the voice of your god! You have been blessed and chosen for a great quest, and-“

“I’m already standing.” Aban began uncertainly, before the voice bellowed.

Silence before me for I am your god!

“You are?” So you’ve gone mad, Aban. Might as well go with it. “ Well, which one?”

“I... I’m Tholtig, woman. I’m your damn god.” The voice had lost it’s echoey quality and just become irritated. “Listen, I need you to go back whatever hole you came from."

“Oceanbridge?”

“Really? That’s goo- I mean, yes. Go back there, and when you get there, I need you to do something very, very important... Er, I mean... Listen, Insignificant One, to the words of Tholtig, God of Fortresses!”

((To be concluded))

((Back to real business...))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished
Dear readers, I’m speaking to you for the first time, not as the leader of an expedition, but as a simple civilian. There’s been a change of leadership in Oceanbridge, and I’m still attempting to understand the issue.

I first heard the news when the normally taci... taci... What’s the word? Tactical, perhaps.

The normally quiet Mr. Anderson approached me in my office and informed me that he would require finer quarters and an office of his own. I politely responded that this would be impossible, as he had neither the rank nor skill to request such a thing. His response was that he did have the rank, as the office of mayor, which he had been voted in to, entitled him to not only a fine office, but a dining room as well.

From Balnash and Karakzon I’ve heard that this is a part of our home’s founding charter. One can’t imagine why. This voting business seems like a tremendous waste to me, but I shall respect the result. I have handed over the mantle of leadership to our Mr. Anderson, and I hope that it does not prove to heavy for him.

I suppose that I should thank the gods that it wasn’t Dr. Killpatient in my office.

One other item of note: the trapped yak whom some expected to replace Peacespray in our hearts has been stricken by a deep depression.

I’m not sure how we know that, but Professor Featherlog assures me that it is so. Possibly he was brought down by the weight of expectations.

Introducing Mr. Anderson:

The soldiers of Oceanbridge were busy training when Mr. Anderson stopped by.

Mr. Anderson wasn’t the sort of dwarf people noticed. He blended in to the background. His hair and beard were immaculately trimmed and combed, and he walked with the aid of a cane sometimes, but aside from that most people thought of him as Professor Featherlog’s bodyguard. It had surprised almost everyone when he was elected mayor.

He watched the training for some time, unnoticed. Two of the newest recruits were staging a mock fight with obsidian swords. They were very new recruits. It wasn’t much to look at.

Finally, Mr. Anderson stepped between them. Both had swung their swords, and both swords met Mr. Anderson’s steel cane with a loud clang.

“Stop.” He removed the cane, and pointed at one of the stunned recruits. “Who are you, and what are you doing.”

The recruit recovered quickly. He saluted, saying “Orcrist, sir! Just training with my friend the Counselor here.”

Mr. Anderson looked him up and down, and then said “No.” He paused. “You’re all starting a new training regimen. No fighting dummies or each other. You will fight real enemies.” He pointed to the ceiling. “The arena is above us. I have put Ferric Elves, Stranglers, Goblins and wild beasts there. In two weeks, you will all fight them.” He smiled, or at least his lips moved. “This was my training. It will be yours.”

Orcrist grinned. "Yes sir! I've been wanting to cleave a few goblins in two with my sword!"

"You shall have your chance."

Next: The First (Real) Arena Battle, and Dwarf Story Number 1

((Did you know that hijinks is defined as "lively enjoyment"? I like that. Also big thanks again to everyone reading and posting. You are all the best.))

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: December 28, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »

She was home, all right. The massive granite pillars that lined the entry way were still there, huge and immovable (wrong, actually, one had fallen).

you know shit just hit the fan when dwarven landmarks which line the entry to a dwarf city aren't exactly as you left them 500 years ago.

cool to see my first dwarfing, does everybody feel the same about the dorfs preferences and atributes fitting themselves too much, like an horoscope prediction?   :D

anyway i hope to survive at least until the end of the next update, seeing that life seems cheap around this parts, be careful mr anderson with who do you pit with the greenhorn recruits, i'm watching you

i think that any caravan members will go bananas if not allowed to leave the fortress after a certain amount of time, so that might be the issue with the yak

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: December 28, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

Yes, I tried to starve an elf caravan once. The thing is, they're immortal, and don't need to eat or drink. So they went crazy in a few months or so. Naturally, I put them out of their misery.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: December 28, 2011, 06:15:07 pm »

since you'll be doing backgrounds for dwarves  can we suggest somethings for our personal dwarves?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: December 28, 2011, 08:35:42 pm »

since you'll be doing backgrounds for dwarves  can we suggest somethings for our personal dwarves?

Of course!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: December 28, 2011, 10:19:22 pm »

G: Party animal, drunk, and deadly with an axe...and bed.

Actually, that sounds like me...
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

SirFellfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: December 29, 2011, 05:37:49 am »

now that you mention it, i see orcrist more as a happy vigilante mushroomwinner who stands in the back ready to chop off the ocassional snatcher leg and deal with job-cancellation-spamming fauna while the militia defends the fort against those ferric scumbags. But a gladiatorial boot camp is fine too   :D

by the way how much have the recent attacks affected the progress of the bridge? i mean THAT is ultimately what the fort is all about, am i right? i would like to see more on that  :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:41:55 am by SirFellfire »

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: December 29, 2011, 06:20:38 am »

since my dwarf likes adamantine and picks i would like to see a story about a legendary artefact pick displayed in the miner canton(or whatever) of the mountainhomes where his parents used to live(if what's not something you think would happen when i guess something else)

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: December 29, 2011, 11:24:01 pm »

((Forgot to take enough screenshots. Apologies.))

Orcrist in the Arena

The first arena fight was scheduled for the fifth of Malachite. Midsummer. Oceanbridge was in the tropics, and even the winters were only slightly less hot than the rest of the year. Fighting out in the open, under the sun... it might kill a dwarf.

“That is what I intended.” Mr. Anderson told Remalle, who brought the fact up. They were in the crowd, waiting for the fight.

“You, uh... don’t think that would be bad?” Remalle tried to put it as delicately as he could. He would later wonder if he should have gone more towards ‘crass’.

“If they die now, they were not fit to fight for us.” Orcrist entered the arena as he said that. As Mr. Anderson had ordered, he was wearing only the armor he had been able to find on his own. Fortunately, that meant a steel breastplate and steel greaves (Oceanbridge might lack some things, but armor was not among them. Even if the armor was sometimes coated with the blood of its previous owner.) “Ready, Orcrist? Today you fight a goblin. Prove your worth.”

Orcrist saluted. Peregar, waiting for the signal a level below, pulled the lever.

Then something went awry.

What crawled out of the cage was not a goblin. It wasn’t even recognizable as something living, until it sprang at Orcrist’s throat.

Orcrist managed to shout “Th’ hell?” before being knocked down. The thing was shining some sort of light in his eyes as it tried to claw open his neck, but with the sun already so bright it was hard to notice. He managed to roll away before it could do much more than bruise him, and swung out wildly with his sword. It connected, somehow, and the eye monster squealed and slumped over.

He got up, and stabbed it a few more times, just to be sure. The thing oozed a bit (almost as disturbing as the squealing), but otherwise looked dead. He stabbed it again. You couldn't be too sure.

Mr. Anderson (who had only looked surprised for a second) clicked his cane on the basalt floor twice before speaking. “Well done, Private Orcrist. You have earned your sword.”

Only someone standing very close to Mr. Anderson would have noticed that he looked nervous, and the only dwarf that close was Remalle.

G’s Story

Back in the Mountainhomes, several years ago:

“Oh, I’m and old time rhymin’ box, an’... damn it all, what’s the rest of the words?”

G, axedwarf fifth class wandered through the halls of the militia’s quarters, looking for his bed, or better yet, something more to drink. The wine had been flowing free that night, like it did every night. Despite the queen’s best efforts at making enemies through madness, there just weren’t many people left alive for the militia to fight.

G did his best to find fights anyway, which was why he was now staggering around the hallways. Eventually he found a large room that contained (after some searching) a towercap wagon. The wagon had barrels in it.

After spending a pleasant hour or so emptying one of said barrels, G decided that it would be the perfect place to rest a bit.

The barrel was marked, though the markings were impossible to see in the dark. Nevertheless, they read “Oceanbridge, Wine. ‘W.A.R.’”.

Later, on the Way to Oceanbridge:

G broke his way out of the barrel right in front of Wilberforce, who was surprised, with good reason.

“Good gods, there’s a man in this barrel!”

Neo drew his sword. “A stowaway, sir. Should I take care of him?”

“Hold on, my friend, hold on. You in the barrel, tell me. How are you with an axe? Tell me all, please.”

G was dazed and lost, and more than a little confused, but he understood the question. “How am I? I was born with an axe in my hand, boy!”

“Splendid! Though undoubtedly painful for your mother. Well, my friend, you’ve just joined a band of migrants, off to the fortress of Oceanbridge. We left, well... yesterday, and we’re quite glad to have some extra soldiers along for the ride.”

G was on his way to a new home.

Next: Dwarf Story #2, and Oh Yes, There Was a Bridge of Some Sort Involved, Wasn't There?

((So! Just trying out a way of telling the dwarf's background. Does it work? Is it completely wrong and terrible? Let me know. Also, that bit was a flashback. Hope that was clear.))
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 85