Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 172273 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

we're safe, warm and fed in here, and the goblins are all trapped, hungry and cold, out there.

Fuck Yeah.
If our shelter has spare stones - or a pick to dig them out - make some mechanisms. It's never too late for a nasty surprize.
If we have spare logs - make ballista then! Carve fortifications at freshly-built wall and wait for unfortunate gobbo pass.
Or minecart shotgun loaded with whatever we have there. I see bloody socks and pants, and a lot of meat pieces.
The spinning yak meat strikes Goblin Spearman in the head! Goblin spearman is knocked unsoncious!
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((gar has... something.))

From the Journals of Aban Brothertreaties

Well, the mayor is still alive! That's... ok. She had all of the survivors gather in the main hall of the saferoom, and gave a little speech to those of us who were still conscious.

"These are hard times, dear people, for all of us. For some of us, who fled from the undead in the west, it must seem like we have escaped from a cave-in, only to fall into a pit of magma. But think on how safe we are now, thanks to hard work, and the blessings of Rakust."

Which did not improve her, you know, image, in my mind. But she moved on to sensible things like brewing more booze, and digging out some nice bedroom, and so on. And then we came to the bridge. And then she surprised me by asking me what I thought we could do. As if there was anything we could do! I just said the first thing I could think of.

"Well, yeah, I mean, we could dig a giant tunnel all the way to the opposite shore, dig up, and start building the bridge from there."

"Excellent idea. We shall do that, then."

And as it turns out, that is what we shall do. (then) Lorbam isn't allowing any debate. She did tell me that, until we can fight the goblins again, this will "keep us busy, my dear woman."

It will do that.

Meanwhile, With Gar and Company

"I did like you asked Gar. Here's an inventory of all of our weapons, and anything that can be weaponized."

"Nice, give it." Gar took to the proffered piece of paper, and read it. It did not take long.

"Tirist, this just says 'sand'".

"That's all I can find! It's pretty coarse though, we could throw it in the goblin's eyes."

Meanwhile, on the Surface

Next: Tunnels are Underground Bridges

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sand? that's not too much... Are you sure you haven't missed anything? Like stone, wood, metal or something?

Sand is mostly useless without furnace and fuel.

But.. we can grow cavern trees here! Just wait for them to grow and then cut them down.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To clarify: Gar and Tirist (and one unconscious wounded dwarf I keep forgetting to mention) are trapped in the older food stockpile, on the first level of the fort. They didn't make it to the safehouse, which is why they have no access to anything other than food and booze. They have plenty of that, though. All of the alcohol in the fort, 100+ prepared meals, and about four barrels filled with elephant meat, for some reason.

They can't dig out, and the others can't dig to them yet, because the aquifer is in the way. But I have no doubt I'll find a way to get to them soon. And if I don't, they'll still be fine.

The safehouse, meanwhile, is working wonderfully. Apart from the lack of booze, which I feel silly about.

update soon

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, we're still under siege, technically, and Gar's still missing, and we can hear the sound of constant fighting coming from the surface but...

Never mind, there isn't a but. Nothing comforting has happened.

All right, there is one thing. A weaponsmith, (some refugee that I've never met, of course) was found in the forge, lying half starved next to this:

An artifact weapon! If only we had soldiers who could use it, it might be, you know, useful. But Lorbam has it in her "care" now. She's obsessed with these artifacts. And with digging that tunnel. Poor Remalle is stuck with that, and that means there's no one to carve memorials for the dead. That's probably going to cause trouble.

Around Oceanbridge, Part One

The miners set themselves to the task of digging the tunnel with all the enthusiasm each of them could muster. For Ishar, that was quite a lot, and she spent a lot of time hoping they would break into a new system of caverns, or find a vein of adamantine, or get attacked by a forgotten beast that they could kill heroically.

For the others, it was a bit less thrilling. "You don't look happy, Remalle! At least we're a long way from any goblins down here. The only thing we have to worry about is accidentally digging into the ocean and drowning. What's bothering you?"

Remalle didn't answer, but pointed his thumb at a misty shape that stood behind him.

"Ah, that. You've got a pet ghost again." She waved at the moaning spirit. "Did you know this one?"

"Nope. I never do. Just ignore it, and keep digging."

Next: The Triumph of the Ogre Carpenter

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile

If anyone happens to be sane, alive, not a ghost, not an ogre, not a goblin, not a giant, not an apeman, unlikely to spontaneously combust, not be right next to somewhere about to kill them, not going to be possessed by some other ghost or a yak, I would like to be dorfed. Specifically as 'Oh Belgium that elephant looks hungry', which the dwarf chose after the final words of one of the dwarf's ancestors in Koganusān.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((well, I might be able to find someone like that! Next update.))

Around Oceanbridge, Part Two

"Hey, what's your name, you hear that?" Gar put his hand to his ear with a theatrical flourish.

"Tirist, Gar. I'm Tirist. And yes, it's silent, right? No fighting anymore." The two had been trapped in the room for a month now, and in all that time, the sounds of battle had never stopped. They had got used to it, or Tirist had. Gar never had seemed to mind. "This is eerie, Gar."

"Exactly. Gotta check it out." Gar walked over to one of the sand walls, gave it a once over look, and then punched a small hole straight through.

"Gar! What the-"

"Calm down, damn it. I just want to take a look out there and... good gods!"

"What?"

Gar stepped aside, and pointed to the wall. "Take a look yourself."

Tirist did, with some hesitation. The hole was just big enough for him to see a bit of the old main hall, where he'd arrived less than a year ago. It looked different now. There were the dead water buffaloes, of course, and the a few goblin corpses scattered around. But the dozens of broken and battered ape-men bodies, the rotting severed limbs, and the massive, scarred ogre sitting on top of the main gate's lever? Those were new.

"Rakust save us! What happened out there? And what the hell is that thing!"

"Looks like we ain't the only one's who get a kick out of killing those ape things. What's our ogre friend up to?"

"He's... building a chair now." Tirist tried to look away, and found that he couldn't. It was a grisly sight. It was also very, very odd.

"Bastard! That's our lumber!"

"Actually, I think... he's using the bones of the ape men, at least for the frame."

"Those are ours too, damn it!"

Part Three:

Somehow, Mr. Anderson was still alive.

He was hoping that would change soon.

Next: Stuff

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Scratched Tablet of Mr. Anderson

Some giant bloody goblin commander knocked me down the stairs, and broke my leg! That was a month ago, and it still hasn't healed. I don't know where I am, I don't know where everyone else is, but more importantly, I don't know where the goblins are.

Oh, did I mention I've been eating goblin meat and rats? What's taking so long for the others to clear out the fortress, we were slaughtering the goblins for a while there...
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Some giant bloody goblin commander knocked me down the stairs, and broke my leg! That was a month ago, and it still hasn't healed. I don't know where I am, I don't know where everyone else is, but more importantly, I don't know where the goblins are.

Oh, did I mention I've been eating goblin meat and rats? What's taking so long for the others to clear out the fortress, we were slaughtering the goblins for a while there...

Lurker power, DISENGAGE!

I ah... I think that Mr. Anderson is being beaten upon by three goblins at once... sounds like it has been going for a while.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lurker power, DISENGAGE!

I ah... I think that Mr. Anderson is being beaten upon by three goblins at once... sounds like it has been going for a while.

Hah, I have adamantium under my skin!

Anyways, our internet was messed up for a bit and I forgot about this place when we got it back up.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mr. Anderson is definitely being beat up by a bunch of goblins, but I like the image of him patiently writing that out on his tablet as they repeatedly break his limbs.

Update soonish.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, we have a new mayor. Lorbam is out, Id is in, for whatever that might mean.

This was actually the rare time when holding an election actually makes sense, because as long as the goblins hold the surface, we've got nothing to do down here. I honestly miss Gar. He'd be coming up with all sorts of horrifying murder devices right now, in order to get us out of this mess.

Lorbam took the news in stride, fortunately enough. She's spent the last week or so talking to the man who made that artifact warhammer (yeah, the artifact thing, still.) , and she seemed almost relieved when she was told she had lost the election. I can sympathize. Empathize? Something like that. It's not a job for anyone. Well, except for this "Id" person. I have no idea who he is. We'll all find out soon enough.

The only other news down here is that one of the newer refugees is named, and I quote "Oh Belgium that elephant looks hungry".

I will never make fun of any other name. Also, I'm not sure what "belgium" means, but I'm sure it's deeply, deeply offensive.

Next: Fraught with Consequence

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well... Gar and Tirist have no choice but unleash the power of Dwarven Drunken Song!

I mean, they have to get extra-dwarvenly drunk, play 'music' with whatever they have (empty barrels and such) and shout 'songs' aloud. No invader can stand that for long.
Party hard!!!

Omeganaut

• Bay Watcher
  • eshimdomnothry (FreedomSlavery)
    • View Profile

I'm excited to hear how this saga will end.  Will they make it to the far shore?  Will there be an aquifer? How many ghosts does it take to build a bridge?  All important questions.
My extended sig
Includes the one and only !!DrunkFortress!! quote anthology.
Also: Bay 12 Archeology!  I bring the word of Bay12.  And the word is despair
I'm back, but I can't be consistant enough for games... Sorry!

Dawnofdarkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was possibly wondering if i can get a dwarf, name Dawnofdarkness if possible a swordsdwarf but id be fine with anything else really.
If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 85