Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should it be added to the wiki? (It would be D for Dwarf)

Yes
- 9 (17.3%)
No
- 43 (82.7%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: .  (Read 13122 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro910 Method/Effect
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 07:41:33 pm »

I think we should include maaaaagmaaaa  or whatever but asking for name recognition on the wiki is a little conceited
What the hell.

This has been in the game for years. You can't just randomly up and name someone else's meme after yourself. That's just stupid.
I'm not the one who came up with it, Oioloi (HOW DO YOU SPELL IT) did. I just shortened
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to The Necro910 Method. Most of the people at DF Fortress Mode Discussion know who I am just for that, and I am not making you vote for it, you can vote against.

I put the poll here for a reason  :P
Listen Necro, your awesome an all. But no one really deserves something named after them when all they say is Magma, its been around forever. I mean Vector or Toonyman aren't trying to make a wiki article about themselves.
I thought vector never played DF?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »

I think we should include maaaaagmaaaa  or whatever but asking for name recognition on the wiki is a little conceited
What the hell.

This has been in the game for years. You can't just randomly up and name someone else's meme after yourself. That's just stupid.
I'm not the one who came up with it, Oioloi (HOW DO YOU SPELL IT) did. I just shortened
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
to The Necro910 Method. Most of the people at DF Fortress Mode Discussion know who I am just for that, and I am not making you vote for it, you can vote against.

I put the poll here for a reason  :P
Listen Necro, your awesome an all. But no one really deserves something named after them when all they say is Magma, its been around forever. I mean Vector or Toonyman aren't trying to make a wiki article about themselves.
I thought vector never played DF?
Well yeah, but I was trying to make a point. Just because your famous for something on the forums doesn't mean you should get a wiki page of any kind.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 08:06:56 pm »

"Necro910" is just too long and unmemorable to refer to such a general thing. It would never catch on, except perhaps in a small fraction of the active posters here.

Now, a name that is short enough to remember easily, and on it's own invokes the intended concept?

A single character of unicode, that easily and adequately expresses a concept, can be typed in only a few keystrokes, and by it's use in ‼thing‼, already relates to stuff burning.
Eh?
Eh!

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »

It's true. In fact I am only in here for the anger

Ptylerdactyl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:11 pm »

Well, I for one am willing to hear you out. But you need to make your case. Why should your online handle be used to name this method as opposed to, say, the name of the person who first discovered/reported it? Why should it be attributed to you specifically? What, out of all the other people who use magma, makes you deserving of being the namer of the trope?

jevon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:35 pm »

Bahaha even if you put it in the wiki, it would never stay. I think we should rename Wiki to Jevon, there's less i's to get confused over.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:50 pm »

I second the Jevon approach. fkn i's.

kardeck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 08:27:43 pm »

(Long time lurker, first time poster. /nixon vee's)

This should be allowed.  But only if we get to rename the scatological activities of domesticated and wild animals to "Necro910".

Example, wake up tomorrow morning and walk into the kitchen to find your pet cat/dog/llama etc has left a steaming pile of Necro910 on the tiled floor.  Or walking through the countryside and step in a freshly laid cow-necro910.  So fresh, it has the pool of dew on top.

This is fair?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:29:36 pm by kardeck »

DrGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

Ah, I smell a forum loyalty cascade a' brewin'

erneg

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2011, 08:41:59 pm »

Well, I for one am willing to hear you out. But you need to make your case. Why should your online handle be used to name this method as opposed to, say, the name of the person who first discovered/reported it? Why should it be attributed to you specifically? What, out of all the other people who use magma, makes you deserving of being the namer of the trope?
Seconded, and I would suggest a good reason for it to be attributed to him in this manner would be widespread use of using magma being called the Necro method, not just use by a small sub-section of players.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:29 pm »

The hell is a Necro910 and why does it think magma should be named for it?

If anything, it should have a name like The Universal Solution or something that is in any way related to its origin, application, or content.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 08:44:54 pm »

Nothing on the wiki should be named for anyone. Individual users should not even be mentioned on the wiki pages except perhaps in describing something that they have done, like where the designer for some of the bedroom designs on the Bedroom Design pages is mentioned, but even then it should be avoided where possible. That is my opinion. The wiki shouldn't be a place where prideful people can put their crap out in the open.

Mentioning that magma is often jokingly suggested as a solution to any and every problem would be kosher, but not naming the meme after a forum member.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 08:45:39 pm »

Just, no.

Just... no.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Zecon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 08:47:25 pm »

You got me to create an account, just to vote no (Mostly because the precedence this would create, I could care less about 1 thing getting altered). so cool for you.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:18 pm »

I will try to say why this does not belong on the Wiki.

Necro910 did not create this. The saying of Magma to solve a solution is apart of the game itself and the community as a whole.

It is people like you Necro910 that destroys this community with such poor and badly thought out suggestions.

JUst... NO.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.
Pages: 1 [2] 3