Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves in Spaaaaaaaace!  (Read 588 times)

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves in Spaaaaaaaace!
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:56:00 pm »

Ok, I hope no one important reads this until DF is properly finished but I was thinking what sad state of sci fi games there are out now and why can't toady do to that genre what he did for rpg sims?  It could be "realistic" like dwarf fortress where you take a space colony and build it up.  But in space there is almost an infinite ability to randomize encounters.  Different spaceships show up or different planet/asteroid/station events happen.  It doesnt have to be dwarves but it could and trade would be almost vital for food. Then you have to fight space pirates.  IF it was simmed just like DF then I would look forward to the part where you build ships out of spare or built parts and send them out in your fleet.  I hate pre designed crap so every ship would be unique until you got an assembly line going.  This is completely possible with what is around now but would take a lot of imagination, which, if all of us playing ascii have no lack of.  Your thoughts?  I seriously had to change my pants when I thought of it.
Sincerely,
Huge Nerd

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves in Spaaaaaaaace!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 04:22:00 pm »

Rather than colonizing a mountain, you could colonize a whole planet....A really interesting concept, although I think Toady has many other things to work on.

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:13:00 pm »

Yeah, I know he is busy, I was talking to everyone else.  And colonizing a planet would take a long time.  Just as long as colonizing a Dwarf fortress planet. but thats not the point. its a colony where things go wrong.  That is the fun part. in Spaaaaaaaaace!!!

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 09:28:00 pm »

Just modify all the text files so that every name/title starts with "Space ".

"Yes, the Space Fisher is bringing in some fresh Space Turtles!  We can make some Space Trade Goods from the shells and trade them to the Space Elves."

Sir Edmund

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 10:17:00 pm »

awesome idea but its a pain in the ass he doesnt have a complete team of programmers :P but meh
EE
E@E
EEE

haftan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 10:30:00 pm »

Ok, but we also have to have the golems repeat "DANGER WILL ROBINSON. DANGER!"

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

I got a great scenario "Metiorite/Supply module/Shuttle collides with XXXXX Module, Module depressurizes/Station depressurizes"

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 02:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by KrunkSplein:
<STRONG>Just modify all the text files so that every name/title starts with "Space ".

"Yes, the Space Fisher is bringing in some fresh Space Turtles!  We can make some Space Trade Goods from the shells and trade them to the Space Elves."</STRONG>

But... Space Elves don't like natural bio-matter products.  :(