Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AVG 2011 Won't Scan - Need Help!  (Read 3667 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
AVG 2011 Won't Scan - Need Help!
« on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:28 am »

I run the free version of AVG 2011, and for some reason, whenever I click scan, it doesn't work. The updater won't work, always says I'm up to date while the anti-virus database and spyware database say they're outdated. I had a couple of Trojan problems in the past, and this problem has persisted since then. Could the Trojans have messed with AVG, and if so, how do I fix it? If not, then what could be wrong with it, and how do I fix it?  haven't scanned in over six months and I'm really worried. Can someone please give me a hand with this?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: AVG 2011 Won't Scan - Need Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 10:26:12 am »

Six months is a very long time. Either re-install it or find a new program. The viruses won. I've used this before, and it worked fairly well for me. It's free, but will only work for a couple scans/deletions. The full program (VIPRE) costs $10 or something like that.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:58:08 am »

<see sig>

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 11:03:31 am »

Note that if it IS a virus keeping you from scanning - which I've seen happen before - it would be pretty weird if any other antivirus worked.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 12:21:24 pm »

Eh, the one I linked works in Safe Mode using the command line. If that doesn't work, you're fucked.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

PeeWee's is the way to go, methinks.  I haven't tried Barbarossa's.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 04:51:46 pm by h3lblad3 »
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 06:30:18 pm »

I gave up on AVG due to this reason- the only times I ever had virus issues AVG would always be non-functional. avast! has been good to me so far, but I'm generally pretty good about avoiding malware and doing regular scans.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:51 pm »

K, I'll give this stuff a shot, thanks!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:55 am »

AVG i've only ever had problems with. I used Comodo, and it's pretty good. In my heavily infected virtual XP Comodo gets any virus i throw at it.

optimumtact

• Bay Watcher
  • I even have sheep
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 05:59:02 am »

I run the free version of AVG 2011, and for some reason, whenever I click scan, it doesn't work. The updater won't work, always says I'm up to date while the anti-virus database and spyware database say they're outdated. I had a couple of Trojan problems in the past, and this problem has persisted since then. Could the Trojans have messed with AVG, and if so, how do I fix it? If not, then what could be wrong with it, and how do I fix it?  haven't scanned in over six months and I'm really worried. Can someone please give me a hand with this?

Uh thats a really long time to not have any virus protection, there is a chance your machine is infected with viruses, so your best bet would be to boot to safemode and install something like malwarebytes (which I find really good) and run that while still in safemode.
alternately, I could just take some LSD or something...