Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Premarital sex talk :O  (Read 68544 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Premarital sex talk :O
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:31 am »

Ah, I didn't mean it very seriously/argumentatively. Maybe I should've put a smiley at the end of it but I didn't want to do that twice in the same post ;)

Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:50 am »

Ah, I didn't mean it very seriously/argumentatively. Maybe I should've put a smiley at the end of it but I didn't want to do that twice in the same post ;)

You should put a quote of the post by Kael that you're responding to there so people don't think that you're responding to my comment that comes between kael's post and your response and get confused.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2011, 08:29:17 am »

I don't want to derail the thread any more to debate the ethics of it, you can start your own thread if you wish, but I'm going to call any deliberate killing of an animal for the sake of killing that goes quite beyond its instincts and within it's moral understanding - as mentioned earlier such animals may have an understanding of human drowning - I'm just going to call a deliberate murder by dragging a trainer underwater until she dies "evil". Not to say that someone doesn't deserves shit for imprisoning animals that shouldn't be imprisoned, but just saying that the murder itself is evil.
Its only evil because it goes against the ethical/morale standard of 'modern' human society.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2011, 08:31:44 am »

I don't want to derail the thread any more to debate the ethics of it, you can start your own thread if you wish, but I'm going to call any deliberate killing of an animal for the sake of killing that goes quite beyond its instincts and within it's moral understanding - as mentioned earlier such animals may have an understanding of human drowning - I'm just going to call a deliberate murder by dragging a trainer underwater until she dies "evil". Not to say that someone doesn't deserves shit for imprisoning animals that shouldn't be imprisoned, but just saying that the murder itself is evil.
Its only evil because it goes against the ethical/morale standard of 'modern' human society.

We're modern humans. We judge things based on our subject position as modern humans. That's how it always is.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2011, 12:23:44 pm »

That's pretty circular. As modern humans, we consider it "evil" because it goes against the standards of modern humans? That's tautological.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2011, 12:33:45 pm »

If only there was some kind of axis of which we could declare them members.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2011, 12:46:00 pm »

Axis of Assholery versus Principality of Polite?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »

That's pretty circular. As modern humans, we consider it "evil" because it goes against the standards of modern humans? That's tautological.

It kind of makes sense given that things like 'good' and 'evil' have no existence outside of the human mind...

...and the corollary following from this, that the 'good' and 'evil' of previous generations of humans died with them...

The animals can be good and evil to the extent that good and evil exist, but this is very little.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 02:55:49 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2011, 05:29:09 pm »

Of course you're really unlikely to see two guys hugging each other.

Unless you're a band kid :b seriously our band is the huggiest group I've ever seen and it's awesome :3

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2011, 06:21:08 pm »

Meh I've seen a lot of what I consider to be bad advice and bad argument in this thread.

1° is sex is a defining even he first time is emotionally bonding,...

Well it's not true. Period. The proof is that you're desperately trying to make it so. You try to make your first time special, when it's really not. If you're a girl it will be painful, if you're a boy you will be clumsy. If you're both virgin......

2° If you only know one person you won't know what you're missing.

Yeah and you'll wonder what you've missed. And possibly cheat on your partner for this sole reason.
I've been with a girl whose I has been her sole boyfriend and it has serious downsides. First there is no point of reference. If you're a douche this can be a good point but often not. Second it raised a few problem with her self esteem. And third when you lack experience in relationship you're simply less good at it. We broke for a time and now we're back together and happier than ever.

3° purity, blah, blah.

Yeah that made A LOT of sense, before we invented test for this kind of thing.
This is btw a perfect example for me of the supremacy of science against religion. All religious book contain GREAT public health advice but sadly their follower follow them even when it stop to make sense. And now it impregnate our culture.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 06:29:05 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

3° purity, blah, blah.

This is btw a perfect example for me of the supremacy of science against religion. All religious book contain GREAT public health advice but sadly their follower follow them even when it stop to make sense. And now it impregnate our culture.
This final one amuses me in the largest way. Absolutely no one in this thread has argued from the position of purity. You literally just made this point to argue against no one who is posting in this thread unless I missed it. And the best part is you're arguing it from the point of "science over religion" when that has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's culture versus culture, and you are arguing for your ideals. Which is not a bad thing, but you're holding them up as if science mandates your beliefs, when you just use facts to justify them.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 05, 2011, 07:45:25 pm »

Yeah, nobody really mentioned religion here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 05, 2011, 08:21:46 pm »

3° purity, blah, blah.

This final one amuses me in the largest way. Absolutely no one in this thread has argued from the position of purity. You literally just made this point to argue against no one who is posting in this thread unless I missed it. And the best part is you're arguing it from the point of "science over religion" when that has absolutely nothing to do with it. It's culture versus culture, and you are arguing for your ideals. Which is not a bad thing, but you're holding them up as if science mandates your beliefs, when you just use facts to justify them.

No.
Purity, as in "no sex is purer than sex" is an idea pervasive in our society, and I cannot help but think that it give the "blank canvas" idea mentioned on the first page a lot of it's appeal.
Said idea come from religion as prophylactic advice, but as it became sacred it's now rather a pain, especially since it's irrelevant, even as health advice.

It's not a circular logic but you've got to agree with my premise (sex and purity are not related) to agree with my conclusion (science is better than religion), not the other way around. I don't use science to validate my belief, I say that my views of the world (beliefs if you will, but it's not exactly that), once again, lead me find science more efficient than religion.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:27:20 pm by Phmcw »

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 05, 2011, 08:33:37 pm »

No.
Purity, as in "no sex is purer than sex" is an idea pervasive in our society, and I cannot help but think that it give the "blank canvas" idea mentioned on the first page a lot of it's appeal.
Said idea come from religion as prophylactic advice, but as it became sacred it's now rather a pain, especially since it's irrelevant, even as health advice.

It's not a circular logic but you've got to agree with my premise (sex and purity are not related) to agree with my conclusion (science is better than religion), not the other way around. I don't use science to validate my belief, I say that my views of the world (beliefs if you will, but it's not exactly that), once again, lead me find science more efficient than religion.

My first response will be Tack's:

Yeah, nobody really mentioned religion here.

And I will add a point:

No one has brought up purity. No one is arguing that people who don't have sex are somehow holier than people who have sex. This may be a point that you are experiencing in your real life by people who are arguing this issue with you. However, no one has used that reasoning in this thread.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 05, 2011, 08:41:11 pm »

You don't understand.
Religion has been mentioned by the way, but indeed the point of purity from a religious perspective has not been defended within this thread (though it is often raised IRL) still the point of a "blank canvas" being preferable is on page 1.
I claim that the appeal of that idea come from the fact that a virgin is seen as more pure (or from fear of he competition, but that's another can of worms).

If we were talking about making music who the hell would rather work with a complete beginner than an accomplished musician?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 08:47:52 pm by Phmcw »

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27