Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Premarital sex talk :O  (Read 67104 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Premarital sex talk :O
« Reply #225 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50:44 pm »

You don't understand.
Religion has been mentioned by the way, but indeed the point of purity from a religious perspective has not been defended within this thread (though it is often raised IRL) still the point of a "blank canvas" being preferable is on page 1.
I claim that the appeal of that idea come from the fact that a virgin is seen as more pure (or from fear of he competition, but that's another can of worms).

Phmcw is right. Here is the offending quote:

I wanted to discuss the logic involved

The article appears to be promoting a particular worldview, however...if one were a piece of canvas at an art school, and one allowed any art student to paint on you for year and year, it's extremely unlikely that anyone wishing to paint a portrait would choose you over a blank canvass.

Incidentally, it sounds like the canvas in that metaphor has served that art school well, and if it served this purpose for years and years, it could serve it for years and years more.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additionally, BTW, a fourth fallacious assumption common on this thread is that everybody wants intimacy.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 05, 2011, 09:50:18 pm »

I said it in the progressive rage thread, but I'll post it here too since it's relevant. Feel free to pick it apart :3
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 06, 2011, 03:11:47 am »

So sex and marriage is like Salsa and Cars?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 06, 2011, 09:06:47 am »

I just wanted to mentin that science is not better than religion, since a) those are not comparable and b) opinions man.
You probably meant scientific reasoning vs religoius reasoning.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2011, 09:20:36 am »

I just wanted to mentin that science is not better than religion, since a) those are not comparable and b) opinions man.
You probably meant scientific reasoning vs religoius reasoning.
Actually they are : they are both way to envision the world. And "opinion man" is a terrible argument that I never accept.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2011, 09:27:35 am »

That's pretty ethnocentric (if that expression can be bend this way, didn't really want to say 'arrogant') believing that you hold the ultimate truth.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 06, 2011, 10:02:42 am »

That's pretty ethnocentric (if that expression can be bend this way, didn't really want to say 'arrogant') believing that you hold the ultimate truth.
I am right until proved wrong. Then I'll be righter.

I know I don't hold the ultimate truth. But it's definitely the best I know, so good enough I'll try to find a better one. And "ultimate truth" is a fairly religious concept that doesn't concern me. Actually I don't think it is relevant, pretty much as the philosophical stone is irrelevant (and I'm talking about the "perfect mater").

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 06, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

There is no scientific knowledge without a priori, assumed, unprovable knowledge.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 06, 2011, 10:07:28 am »

Actually I believe it's a scientific term and quite recent cosidering the talk of the "world formula" a while ago.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 06, 2011, 10:14:38 am »

There is no scientific knowledge without a priori, assumed, unprovable knowledge.
First, there is no driving without risk still it's better to drive safely than speeding drunk.

Second while it's philosophically correct, experimental evidence remain. That unprovable knowledge is actually, by definition, hypothesis and should always be challenged, as Einstein shown. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 06, 2011, 10:22:18 am »

Perhaps we should concede disagreement.  I've found that a life without tending to the inner self--and not with psychology or psychiatry, mind you--is a very empty one.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 06, 2011, 11:00:49 am »

I'm not sure why engaging in scientific reasoning and tending to your inner self should be at all mutually exclusive.

...Or even why you'd somehow need to temporarily abandon scientific reasoning in order to tend to yourself.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 06, 2011, 11:04:26 am »

I'm not sure why engaging in scientific reasoning and tending to your inner self should be at all mutually exclusive.

...Or even why you'd somehow need to temporarily abandon scientific reasoning in order to tend to yourself.

I feel the same way. Not all of humanity's perceived needs are physical. Mind you, I'm not a religious person, but I still take time to sort out my mind every now and again.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 06, 2011, 11:27:55 am »

Perhaps Vector's saying she uses something other than empiricism for her "tending to herself." Science only works on empirical principles, and empirical principles are of course, based on assumptions.

That's not so much "abandoning" as using a different tool for a different job.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:59 am »

First, there is no driving without risk still it's better to drive safely than speeding drunk.

Did you just compare people of faith to speeding drunks?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27