Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Advanced Placement Courses  (Read 4165 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advanced Placement Courses
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2011, 11:22:41 pm »

I'm not american, no idea how AP courses are graded, but they mean nothing for your grades in college and only slightly for acceptance. Still.. they do train you to learn, and I sort of wish I had learned as much as I could before going to college. Grades are just the little treat dangled to motivate you.

I entered college basically as a junior.  So, they did do quite a bit for me.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2011, 07:32:42 pm »

I took AP biology in my senior year of high school, as opposed to the normal physics. It wasn't all that hard, or maybe it was just interesting. There were a few AP classes, but most of them were taken elsewhere, I think (It was a small school).

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2011, 07:29:14 pm »

I finally got the mail for my APUSH exam (they didn't have my address fro some reason) and I scored a 4. Nice.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 12:14:35 am »

I got a 5 on my AP Human Geography but a 3 on German :(
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 01:54:16 am »

I qualified for the "Gifted and Talented" English course in elementary school, which became AP English after that.  I qualified for AP Math in 7th grade, AP History and Science in 10th grade.  And because my high school was part of some retarded shit called the International Baccalaureate program, I was automatically upgraded to AP Spanish when I made the mistake of saying yeah, I want to be part of the highest level everything.  (I noticed the IB Program sign was no longer on the building when I drove by recently.)

I either resigned or was kicked out of all of them in the 10th or 11th grade, due to my abysmal work ethic and rapidly deteriorating home life.  Adversity and teenagedom kicked my ass hard.  And public schools (at least the ones I went to) are focused entirely on grooming the top of the class for school programs that can only be called martial in their rigor, while leaving everyone who doesn't quite qualify to rot in Remedial Reading.  So I spent the back end of highschool having the time of my life, taking extra lunches to party with my friends when I showed up at all, easily scoring straight A's in everything, coasting on the inborn talent that qualified me for the AP stuff in the first place while abandoning any pretext at learning how to exert myself.  That really bit me in the ass in college.

I actually aced my first semester of college Literature by writing a series of papers about how much I hated Advanced Placement courses, and how the school system was all but designed to punish intelligent slackers, since work ethic is the only real qualification.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 08:59:47 am »

I took
US History (3)
Euro History (4)
US Government (4)
and
Psychology (4)
I think..

That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]