Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Multiworld Madness II. One Long Darn Corridor (Turn XXII) (game thread)  (Read 28182 times)

Kashyyk

  • Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Into the maelstrom. (I) (game thread)
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 12:41:45 pm »

Spotting the screen, Alix submits to a mild vanity moment and makes sure she looks OK. Whilst watching the screen for any changes of course.

Action: Alix alternately preens herself in the screen reflection, and examines it for any changes due to button mashing by the team
Logged

Frelock

  • Bay Watcher
  • Competent Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Into the maelstrom. (I) (game thread)
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 02:02:41 pm »

"Hold on a second,"  Fre says to Jay and Derek as they go for the keypad.  "I'd like to try something first.  If you're making a machine that has a user interface, but no manual, what's one of the things you have to make your product do?"

Frederick starts saying things like "Help," "Tutorial," "Information," "System Properties," to the screen.
Logged
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Into the maelstrom. (I) (game thread)
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 03:52:28 pm »


=== TURN 002 ===

= BUTTONPUSHERY =




> Dermonster: Buttonpushery(DEX):[2]
> Jay Kayell: Buttonpushery(DEX):[5]
> Frelock: Intervention(CHA):[7]; Issue commands(INT):[4]

   Derek and Jay both lunge for the keypad, aiming their greasy fingers into any pushable surface they are able to reach. They come within a few feet of pushing something when suddenly Frederick's thunderous command voice hits them from behind.

   "STOP."

   The two men try to turn around on the spot, but their momentum carries them forward and they slam together into the wall, missing the keypad by inches. Derek staggers away, stunned, while Jay turns to the voice's originator.

   "Jeebus, man! What's with the shout? I damn near ran headfirst into the wall there."
   "I... I don't know." Frederick is visibly confused. "I didn't intend to.." He pauses for moment, but soon regains his train of thought and expresses his concerns to Jay and Derek. A short discussion ensues, but in the end everyone agrees that it is important to get information on the keypad's operations before pushing anything. Leaving Derek and Jay to observe, Frederick approaches the screen and begins trying out different keywords to see the device's reaction.

> Kashyyk: Observe(PER):[5]

   Alix manages to get a good look at herself through the dark reflective surface of the screen, which, she eventually concurs, she is happy with. Her appreciation of her own image is interrupted when Frederick walks up to the screen and motions her to move aside. Alix hesitantly obliges, but remains close and observes Fre's actions with interest, looking over his shoulder... or, under his shoulder, because the towering six-foot muscle mountain makes her meager but proud five foot two look positively diminuitive.

   Frederick begins to address the voice-controlled display, starting with the simplest command he could think of.

   "Help!"

   The screen changes. No text appears, but the screen is now filled with eight simple square pictograms, each depicting an event.

Spoiler: Pictogram listing (click to show/hide)

   Alix is intrigued, but Frederick is not through experimenting. He speaks several more commands, but "Tutorial", "Information", and "Demonstration" do not cause the screen to change. Trying a more creative approach, Frederick commands "System Properties!" and the screen switches to a different view. It now shows the silhouettes of five humans of different sizes, four male and one female. What seem to be physical parameters and telemetry data, complete with an oscilloscope graph of the heart rhythm, are constantly updating below the silhouettes. Derek chooses this moment to exercise sarcasm. "Oh look, how useful. Now we'll know if any of us are dead in this room."

> Zako: Examine posessions(PER):[2]

   In the meantime, Jake shoves the top piece of his BDU back into the locker, opting instead for the classy look of the leather jacket. He absentmindedly slaps the jacket's pockets, feeling for any items that might have come with it. But there's nothing. Not even a lighter. Jake is disappointed, though not in the least surprised. He sighs, and goes to look at the screen everybody's been staring at for the last ten minutes. He sees some kind of vital stat readouts as he approaches, but Frederick shouts "Help!" again, switching the view back to some boring pictograms. Jake sighs again. Puzzles. Just what he needed.



FREDERICK BARBAROSSA HAS DISCOVERED A SKILL!

Command Voice: If you issue an order in severe urgency, your Charisma score for the command roll is increased 50%, rounded down.



==========
=== STATUS ===
(click images for status pages)
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Comments in the discussion thread, please.

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 04:00:37 pm »

Derek examined the pictogram listings. "Well, using my vast intellect, I have deduced that our objective is to retrieve nine different objects from areas corresponding to the numbers on the keypad. This room will also heal injuries we have when we return."

He claps his hands and smirks. "Seems straightforward enough. Hopefully you four can keep up."

He peers at the keypad." Barring further... interruptions, I'd say we try the middle one. Good a starting point as any."


Resume the pressing of the V
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Kashyyk

  • Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:48:52 pm »

After coming to a similar conclusion to Derek, Alix takes a moment to examine the room and it's occupants in further detail.

Examine the room and it's occupants further
Logged

Jay Kayell

  • Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2011, 05:51:53 pm »

"You can keep up," Jay retorts with grace and gusto to Derek's snide comment. Seeing that one of the buttons is seemingly going to get pushed he then turns to the others, "Brace yourselves, it might be a rough ride."

Brace for impact.
Logged
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Zako

  • Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2011, 09:13:28 pm »

"Don't worry about us keeping up. Just worry about finding whatever thing that red diamond stands for, since that appears to be what we are looking for." Jake says calmly. It wasn't going to be productive to argue amongst each other, clearly in order for them to succeed with a better chance of staying alive, they had to work together. Jay seemed to have the right idea though, and followed his lead.

Brace myself for anything unexpected.
Logged

Aklyon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2011, 09:38:01 pm »

Just watching.
Logged
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frelock

  • Bay Watcher
  • Competent Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 01:39:10 am »

"Hmm, I should try 'List commands' next." Fre thinks to himself.  But seeing Derek going resolutely towards the panel, he amends, "however, I can experiment with this more later."  He then takes up a defensive stance, waiting for whatever would come next.

Be ready for a sudden change in scenery.  If nothing happens, ask the screen to "List Commands"
Logged
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Sean Mirrsen

  • Bay Watcher
  • Resident GM
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. Buttonpushery. (II) (game thread)
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 11:02:40 am »


=== TURN III ===




> dermonster: Push Da Button(DEX):[6]>>[5]
> Jay Kayell: Brace self(WIS):[2]
> Zako: Brace self(WIS):[3]
> Frelock: Brace self(WIS):[3]
> Kashyyk: Examine surroundings(PER):[1]

   As Jake, Frederick and Jay prepare themselves for something unexpected, Derek purposefully strides toward the panel. Without taking too much time to think, he sticks his thumb into the center button. The button's light begins pulsating, and the image on the screen changes. Alix, who up to this point had been looking at herself in the screen's reflective surface, is startled. The screen shows three large pictograms. The first is a circle, with a horizontal line separating it into two equal halves, and a large round dot in the center. The second depicts an odd creature - an animal, it seems, but not one you have ever encountered. The third is a red silhouette of an item, which seems to consist of a multitude of criss-crossing supports, with an odd shape suspended in the middle. Under the pictograms, across the width of the screen, is a progress bar, which steadily diminishes. These pictograms are no doubt clues, which could greatly help to complete the upcoming mission.

   However, Derek pays the screen no attention. With an annoyed expression of "What? Still not working?", he quickly jams his finger again into the pulsating button.

   The screen goes blank. The light of the ceiling suddenly intensifies, and a deep rumbling hum fills the air as the walls of the room begin to vibrate. The light and sound are soon unbearable, forcing everyone to stop their ears and shut their eyes tight.

   Suddenly, a cool breeze. The sound fades, the blinding light gives way to warm rays of the sun. The Seekers have arrived to their first world.

   Alix is the first to snap out of the stupor and look around. They have been brought to a very scenic spot on top of a large hill, from where they can see a beautiful view of rolling hills, forests, and distant mountains. A road can be seen nearby, going past the hill, across a nearby stream, and into the distance... er, somewhere. Alix suddenly realizes that nobody has a compass. Directly around them is a wide stretch of grassy hill, with some tall grass growing across its sides. And behind them, half embedded into the hill's slope, is a burning dirigible.

   Wait, what?



==========
=== STATUS ===
(click images for status pages)
==========
Locations:

==========
Characters:

==========
Comments in the discussion thread, please.

The turn is short, but with actions like that did you expect something else? ;)
I'm still updating Jay and Frelock's status.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:49:46 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Logged

Dermonster

  • Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2011, 11:08:17 am »

"Hrm..." Derek mutters as he looks around. "Scenic, I suppose. The sun is a bit too bright for my tastes, prefer a little bit of cloud cover. Clearly there is intelligent life here. The dirigible looks interesting and as I don't relish walking for hours on end to find civilization, I'm going to check it out. Maybe someone survived and we can get information. Let's go."
Go to the dirigible. Call out for intelligent life and examine the wreckage.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:11:24 am by dermonster »
Logged
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.

"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.

Jay Kayell

  • Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lazy Man
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Jay looks around, rolling hills and other pleasant scenery spreading out in every direction, and decides that he doesn't like this place. It seems like it's trying too hard, like it's hiding something. And he wants guns, as many and as large as he can find, to defend himself from whatever this place is hiding. Searching the dirigible would be a logical first step to finding guns.

"After you," he says to Derek.


Investigate dirigible.
Logged
Decapitation - enjoy the difference

Frelock

  • Bay Watcher
  • Competent Philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2011, 12:55:30 pm »

Fredreick quietly thinks out loud, "An item suspended in some kind of wire frame, a bisected circle with a dot in the center; both could possibly represent that dirigible, especially the first if it's a rigid airship.  I just hope we don't come across that animal on our way there..."  Seeing Jay and Derek starting off, he shakes his head to clear the last of the humming from it, and follows.

Investigate downed dirigible; keep an eye out for that strange animal we saw on the screen.

Logged
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Zako

  • Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2011, 08:27:29 pm »

"Well... That was interesting. Do you think that this item is a key of some kind, one we have to find? If so, let's hope we can find it quickly, I don't like the look of this place." Jake said to the party. Scratching the back of his head, he continued. "I wonder what brought that thing down? Let's hope we don't find it lurking around here somewhere."

Search the dirigible for stuff; keep checking the area incase of ambushes.
Logged

Kashyyk

  • Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: Multiworld Madness II. A what now? (III) (game thread)
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 09:27:25 am »

Quickly noticing that she is going to get left behind, Alix high tails it after the group. "Presumably, if there are Dirigibles, they'll be some decent technology..."

Go search the Dirigible, being mindful of the fire
Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11