Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help, miners wont mine!  (Read 1503 times)

Inflixi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help, miners wont mine!
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:18:17 am »

Subject says it all,  been trying to figure it out for 20-30 minutes now. To rule out the things I've already tried from the forums:

The Dwarves were not in the military at any point
The Dwarves are holding nothing in thier off hand (one is holding the pick in her left hand though,  do dwarves have left/right preferences?)
They both have picks
The Dwarves can path to the dig site
If I assign other dwarves as diggers they will go to the site and start digging.
I had them in a burrow at one point because I was trying to open up 3 tiles before the water behind any one of them made the dwarves flee,  before I deleted the burrow I removed the dwarves from it.
I tried assiging them to a burrow in the dig area,  they did not move from the meeting area/dining room.
I tried removing the dining room, they wandered randomly around the area where it was.
My fort is not in an alarm state...

Umm,  thier moods are Ecstatic and Happy.

Really confused about this, and my weaponsmith just went into a fey mood,  need them to dig my tunnel for my magma forges xD  Magma = Fun!

Inflixi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help, miners wont mine!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 09:22:15 am »

Ok...  after my novice miners mined for about 15 minutes the legendary's decided to come off their break,  not really clear why... but w/e  it's fixed.  Lava forges HO!

Inflixi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:35:28 am »

sigh,  weaponsmith went insane T-T

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:54:02 am »

I believe moody dwarves power non-magma forges with their beard, so you can just build a temporary forge until you strike magma. Might save future dwarves from insanity.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 02:57:55 pm »

I don't believe there's a way to predict dwarves going on and off break, but they don't like doing anything while on break.

I once had a hunter that I swear was on break for nearly a year. It was poetic justice that when he finally decided to go hunting, he ran straight into a goblin ambush.

Inflixi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 03:00:38 pm »

It just seemed unlikely that all 4 of my miners would take a break at the same time,  and then all 4 came off at the same time.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:25:21 pm »

What was their activity description when they were refusing to work? Did it say "On Break"? Or "No Job"? Or "Having a Party"?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 04:56:25 pm »

I don't believe there's a way to predict dwarves going on and off break, but they don't like doing anything while on break.

I once had a hunter that I swear was on break for nearly a year. It was poetic justice that when he finally decided to go hunting, he ran straight into a goblin ambush.
There's like an internal procrastination meter which dictates that after a certain amount of work a dwarf will arbitrarily decide he needs a vacation. The size of that meter depends on the dwarf's personality. I have seen several miners go on simultaneous breaks at the start of the game when they happen to have similar procrastination parameters and I keep them busy all the time.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.