Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 393321 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Ladies and Gentledwarves, i present a new boardgame that you can play in your own mountainhomes - Dwarven Checkers!

First, dig out a large checkerboard pattern over an adamantine spire.  It should be entered from a staircase under it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next, excavate the level over it so it is completely flat.  After that,  you'll want to clear the level above this and cut out the outer edge of the room so it drops.  This will clear out the "open" spaces of the board below and leave the walls standing.

After this little bit of cave-in fun, cover the open spaces with magma-proof floor-grates (this is important) as seen below

So, "Aussie Guy"  you ask, "Just what do we do next?  This bit of construction seems random and pointless!".  Well, Urist McAudience, a little bit of dedicated engineering is required next.

On the level above the board, you want to dig out two more rooms with the same dimensions as the board below in parallel over it with channeled-out edges dropping into the gameboard.  Hatch them over and tie them to a lever each per "player".  Then, fill one tank with water and the other with magma.

We're now almost there, but we're still missing something... Oh yes, game pieces!  A quick dig down into the cotton candy spire will yield an amalgam of pieces for our game in a wide variety of colours.  However the bold dwarf sent in must be sealed in so they go straight to the board.  If you use a locked hatch, they get bored waiting while you make sure the piece-fetcher escapes and wander back to the box, upset that they can't play.

Once they are on the board

The game can begin!

"Red" as it is slower, moves first so it can settle in without just flowing straight out into the box the pieces came from.

"Blue", as it flows much faster, goes second (give a moment for the magma to settle on the level above and drip down the floorgrates so it can flow over the whole board)

Alas, after only a turn apiece, the game is over.

(NOTE:  ALWAYS stop the magma flowing before releasing the water or it'll create a wall and you'll only cast half the board)

The winner?  Why, the dwarves of course!  By a strange coincidence, a well-played game of dwarven checkers can clear out the entire group of checker pieces and leave the way open for a somewhat easier visit to the circus!  Oh well, make of that what you will i suppose.  The gameboard is also re-usable if necessary.  Just clear out the obisidon on the lower level of the board.

edit:  Here's a savegame for you to try at home - http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5007

There are SIX notes scattered around the gameboard.  Four are on the level with the liquid tanks (or, "player level"),  Two VERY important ones are 5z-levels down below it.  F5 is the shortcut that will bring you back to the player level of the fort.

Edit:  Hell now belongs to ME.  There's a pleasant town and seaside in there, with clifftop picnicking and lakeside villas.

Good point, Loud Whispers. By taking over Hell, Aussie is now the HFS.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:00:39 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

sirdanilot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An Aussie Dwarf Project (That actually WORKS) - The Dwarven Checkerboard
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:27 am »

Why, good sir, this is awesome !

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm prepping the savegame now (from just before the game's played so you lot can try it).  I'm just putting some notes around it to make it easier to play.

Savegame's up in the OP.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:27:18 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Dwarves play checkers with the blood of the earth and the life of the land.

And they win everytime.

That explains why dwarves are good at trading, mercantilism and overall table games.

Edit: I forgot to say how great this is. I can't say anything else but this is beautiful.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I'm surprised someone hasn't come up with something this simple sooner.  Also, I think i just turned the most feared action a dwarf-forter can make into a simple children's board game that anyone can win.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Next edition, dwarf chess ^~^
A king, a queen, and any other nobles you can find against... EVERYTHING :D :D :D

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I tried not to, but then I accidentally the pony...

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile

Big project: check.
Potentially dangerous to own dwarves: check.
Waste of time: check.
Generous use of resources: check.
Relative uselessness compared with other projects: check.
Deadliness: check.
Involvement of Hell: check.
Epicness: check.

*stamps ‼Dwarven Seal of Approval‼*
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 12:52:06 pm by Musashi »
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

Congratulations sir! You've just made ‼SCIENCE‼ on new ways to kill clowns while making a megaproject!

I'll be using this
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big project: check.
Potentially dangerous to own dwarves: check.
Waste of time: check.
Generous use of resources: check.
Relative uselessness compared with other projects: check.
Deadliness: check.
Involvement of Hell: check.
Epicness: check.

*stamps ‼Dwarven Seal of Approval‼*

You forgot that i used magma AND water as well as lever-pulling.  And i didn't just involve Hell, I EMBARRASSED it. Completely. 

edit:

Next edition, dwarf chess ^~^
A king, a queen, and any other nobles you can find against... EVERYTHING :D :D :D

When the nobles start turning up, I'll wait till i have a full set for a game.  single-slot burrows should get them all into place for a game, right?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:48:23 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

They told me I was mad for playing checkers with the harbingers of death!

MAD!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm just about to play another round of Dwarven Checkers (had to savescum so i could give you guys a savegame to play with).  Then I'm gonna make myself a nice little town in the underworld.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile

I'll have to play with this later.  Perhaps try a micro version for handling goblins.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll have to play with this later.  Perhaps try a micro version for handling goblins.

A bonus I discovered with the design is it messes with their pathing through all the odd angles.  If a demon goes in, it won't try and get out.  They'll just spread out through the spaces and just sit.  You'll also need a large board so they go in and spread out.  With a small board, they'll just go back down the entry stairway
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 81