Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 399738 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1035 on: November 13, 2011, 04:38:58 pm »

Mego, the olympic magma swimmer... YOU SHALL RUN THE DORF MARATHON!
TELL THE TALE!

OF THE DWARVES WHO DINED IN HELL!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1036 on: November 13, 2011, 04:43:06 pm »

Mego is quite content. He got his leg ripped off by an asshole ghost lately. He admired a fine dining room IN HELL lately.

to be honest, if you can, save one soul to spread the word that hell had its ass handed back to it in a paper bag :)
its the kind of thing thats a tradition from boatmurderd.

Yes, if that one dwarf could be mine, it would make for awesome storytelling later.

If I do end up dying, BODY SURF!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: November 13, 2011, 07:52:13 pm »

Honestly, odds are that Wannazzaki II will be the survivor, barring a ghost battering him.  He's perfectly healthy.  Mego, there IS a hospital but no-one has any medical training in the slightest.  Not to mention you'd probably die waiting for food and water in the hospital bed.

Diary of Mego IV, Olympic Magma Swimmer
 Perhaps then, I could start an expedition to build a fort equal in stature to Swordthunders.

This is my dream. I must make it happen.

I DARE you to lead a reclamation expedition to Swordthunders after Hell is full of Magma (Or heck, even do a succession game of it).  You can... probably drain most of the magma out of Upper Hell into a Glowing Pit.  Where and how, I won't tell though.

I'll post the character sheets momentarily

Spoiler:  Eric Blank (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Mego IV (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Oliolli III (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Wannazzaki II (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 07:59:33 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1038 on: November 13, 2011, 08:05:12 pm »

!!Mego!!:

CHALLENGE PRESENTED:

DO YOU ACCEPT??

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: November 13, 2011, 08:28:24 pm »

*hits the big red button*

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

(as long as I don't have to maintain the thread - one is enough)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: November 14, 2011, 04:48:39 am »

I think...I died without mention  :'(

Edit: How many months until winter falls? Are we returning to the Earth by its congealing blood or in battle like the dwarves of old?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: November 14, 2011, 04:59:01 am »

There's PLENTY of food and booze, Tiruin died a fair while ago I believe I lost a few to ghosts that were never reported, I only saw the remaning population afterwards.  I'm desperately trying to seal the Pit House stairwell as doors do NOT block liquids from above.    Thankfully, all we're getting at the moment is the odd stray 1/7 tile and I managed to seal the southern entrance without incident.  The north entrance is a little more of a problem.  As for the HOW you've all been dying, it's been mostly the violent ghosts or magma accidents.

I've also noticed that the magma flow has kind of... levelled out where it is, so I'm going to tweak it a little.  By digging a channel from the old magma pumpstack that filled the checkerboard into one of the Spires.  THAT should get the magma flowing a bit faster.  Sort of fitting, really.  Hell started with a Checkerboard, and now it'll be (kind-of) used to end it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 06:20:30 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: November 14, 2011, 06:07:51 am »

I have bad news.

Also, I have some good news

edit:

edit 2:  Okay, I need an outside perspective.  The magma seems to have stopped rising and I don't know why.  I'm uploading the save for anyone willing to take a look and see what they think

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5182
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 09:23:16 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: November 14, 2011, 11:07:18 am »

Diary of Oliolli III:

Large portions are ruined

...project beginning today. I pray to Akim...

...project worked, and people are now being drafted to build walls...

Entry 76: Oliolli II died today. I decided to take upon myself the name of Oliolli III, to honor...

...thunders is now completely doomed. The last few who could have saved us entered the glowing pit. Doren, Shen and ThatAussieGuy, you will be missed.

...n ghosts, thing took my arm. Also ran into Mego IV, missing a leg and Eric Blank, poor thing had lost both his legs.

Entry 88: Wannazzaki II is dead. I ran into his rotting, miasma-spewing corpse just a moment ago. Can't say I feel sorry. Leaves three of us. I'm guessing I will be the last one, no way to know for certain though.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: November 14, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »

The clowns don't simply destroy the floor grates?

I have been playing around with breaching the HFS and systematically "dealing" with the initial onslaught, and encasing them all in obsidian seems a much more elegant solution than pulling them all into a room and dropping a giant pillar of earth on their heads (I actually did this, but it locked my game up for some reason >.<).

I've been working on a few "hidden" creatures for my mod that wander around down there.  Basically, hell, once breached, behaves just like the other cavern levels, with wildlife "wandering" on through the edges - only the "wildlife" happens to be the clowns.  Adding different "varieties" of wildlife down there in the raws seems to work just fine, in my experience, showing up in the world sites and pops list as "unnumbered."  However, they don't seem to ever be friendly with the other denizens of hell, which usually means that anything wandering onto the map down there will get curbstomped in a hurry unless it's obscenely powerful.  I haven't played around with adding [AT_PEACE_WITH_WILDLIFE] - I'm curious as to whether or not this will keep them from attacking the clowns.

Ultimately, I want to turn hell into a sort of "end game" cavern level - a final challenge to a fortress that has overcome all other challenges, with all the rewards associated with that.  It's been difficult to reliably test these concepts without a method for actually getting down there and staying alive long enough to observe wildlife patterns, but this checkerboard system might be just what I need for it. 

Also, another curious thought.  I imagine that adding plant life to hell will not result in anything happening on its own down there because of lack of suitable soil, but I wonder if adding a "hell" plant will make it spontaneously start to grow if you breach hell and then create a mud patch.  If so, this would be a great idea for an easter egg - Kill demons, breach hell, get rewarded by (otherwise unavailable) demonic grapes.  Again, just me thinking out loud here, but hopefully this little device will give me a way to test out some of these ideas.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: November 14, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »

Kill demons, breach hell, get rewarded by (otherwise unavailable) demonic grapes.

Demonic grape wine: rivalling Sunshine since 2011!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: November 14, 2011, 01:18:34 pm »

Kill demons, breach hell, get rewarded by (otherwise unavailable) demonic grapes.
Demonic grape wine: rivalling Sunshine since 2011!
I'm actually planning on adding this in in my next update of my mod (link in my sig). Still not sure if it works or not though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: November 14, 2011, 07:49:38 pm »

The clowns don't simply destroy the floor grates?

I have been playing around with breaching the HFS and systematically "dealing" with the initial onslaught, and encasing them all in obsidian seems a much more elegant solution than pulling them all into a room and dropping a giant pillar of earth on their heads (I actually did this, but it locked my game up for some reason >.<).

I can answer both the question and your problem.

One:  Building-Destroyers cant break anything on the z-level above them.  You can also exploit the hell out of this by making your front exterior entrance a set of stairs leading up through a lockable floorhatch - Trolls won't be able to do diddly-squat to your fort.

Two:  There's a bug with, I THINK, Fire elemental demons that causes the game to crash when they're seperated from their flames.  I've tried the pillar-o'-earth myself.  It even worked perfectly, save for that damn bug.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: November 15, 2011, 05:50:08 am »

So, anyone had a look at the save and gotten any ideas why the magma seems to have stopped rising?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: November 15, 2011, 06:52:16 pm »

So, anyone had a look at the save and gotten any ideas why the magma seems to have stopped rising?

Hell is pissed.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 81