Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 400102 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1050 on: November 16, 2011, 06:44:16 am »

I'm seriously considering grabbing the pre-"Flood Hell with Magma" save in order to do a slight redesign that might prevent this - screw pumps set in the top of each admantine spire to pump magma into the spire and down to Hell.  Would that improve the flow rate at all over the current method of having hacked holes in as many levels of each spire as possible?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1051 on: November 16, 2011, 07:41:24 pm »

Possibly, but by how much I'm not sure. Screw pumps may not increase the flow by any noticeable amount if they're pumping down a hollow tube. I haven't tested this, but it seems unlikely to do anything.

tl;dr: Go for it.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: November 17, 2011, 01:29:03 pm »

I think that the main thing that will happen is screw pumps will pressurize the magma, from what I've read. Not sure exactly what effect this will have, but in my experience, pressurized water likes to spread really fast... If the magma does the same, it may be the solution to your troubles.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: November 17, 2011, 01:39:06 pm »

Sounds about right.

Magma for the magma gods!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: November 17, 2011, 06:36:48 pm »

Sounds about right.

MAGMA!!!!! for Necro!

FTFY

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: November 17, 2011, 07:54:52 pm »

I think that the main thing that will happen is screw pumps will pressurize the magma, from what I've read. Not sure exactly what effect this will have, but in my experience, pressurized water likes to spread really fast... If the magma does the same, it may be the solution to your troubles.

That was my thinking too.  Very well, as the council of dwarven lunatics has agreed;  REWIND TIME FOR ENGINEERING MADNESS AND MAGMATASTIC FUN!

Gurges

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:08 pm »

I may have missed some detail of construction, but might it be draining out the throne room pit?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: November 17, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »

I may have missed some detail of construction, but might it be draining out the throne room pit?

A fair question, but no.  I covered the throne room up on top and if it was the fault of that pit, It would be a good z-level deeper than it currently is.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: November 18, 2011, 06:33:20 am »

REWIND TIME!

So...do we have any resurrected dwarves that are unnamed for those viewing this legendary thread?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: November 18, 2011, 07:32:24 am »

I haven't done the rewind yet.  I decided to let it run a little longer, just in case it suddenly started filling again.  Sadly, the fortress is utterly, irredeemably screwed.  The ghosts have killed Oliolli and Mego IV, and Eric Blank's sort of... well... let's just say he's not going to be smoothing or engraving anything unless he uses his teeth and tongue

« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:34:59 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: November 18, 2011, 08:27:13 am »

Oh, you lot have to see this.  Eric, your ass is haunted.  By just about EVERY ghost in the fortress that isn't in Hell, I'd wager.

Spoiler:  More Ghosts! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Tiruin, I found Tiruin II's corpse - He's lying on the table in the manager's office.  His head is also on the table, presumably beside his body.  I'd say ghost-battering was the likely cause of death

edit 2:

God. Dammit.

I wanted Eric Blank to pull The Lever of Last Resort, but noooooo.  He had to sit and conduct his meeting with the 40-odd ghosts haunting him instead of screw over the fortress completely.  Whichever ghost killed him, because I know he was stable despite his injuries, You. Bastard.

It's not done yet, though.  I'll fire up the pre-magma save tomorrow and see about getting screwpumps into the admantine spires to increase the magma flow into Hellopolis.

If anyone wants a copy of the world savegame as-is for a reclaim, let me know and I'll post one.  Hell IS mostly full of magma, but I can offer a tip to get rid most of it (Stopping the flow in the spires, however.... well you're on your own there)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:43:59 am by ThatAussieGuy »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: November 18, 2011, 02:59:57 pm »

God. Dammit.

I wanted Eric Blank to pull The Lever of Last Resort, but noooooo.  He had to sit and conduct his meeting with the 40-odd ghosts haunting him instead of screw over the fortress completely.  Whichever ghost killed him, because I know he was stable despite his injuries, You. Bastard.

MuHAHAHA! Now I've had my revenge! THAT's what you get for not having leather around when I needed it for my artifact! YES! it was ME who organized all of the ghosts! It was ME who tore Turin II's head off!

MUAHAHAHA!!!

Ah, revenge, sweet revenge!

I hope you've learned your lesson. The next time, just get me some LEATHER!!!!
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:29 pm »

Code: [Select]
And so ends the tale of Swordthunders. A fortress that managed to breach hell, kill the demons and wall the underworld in. The fortress was made fun-proof,
but even so, the dwarven numbers dwindled. No matter what was done, dwarves kept on dying, until none were left.
Hell had won once again, since hell... Hell never changes.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:24:01 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

UristMcFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: November 18, 2011, 06:25:29 pm »

I've never seen so many ghosts. I've certainly never seen ghosts cause a fortress to die by just killing all it's members. So you conquered hell, and then it looks like you were cursed.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: November 18, 2011, 06:52:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
And so ends the tale of Swordthunders. A fortress that managed to breach hell, kill the demons and wall the underworld in. The fortress was made fun-proof, but even so, the dwarven numbers dwindled. No matter what was done, dwarves kept on dying, until none were left. Hell had won once again, since hell... Hell never changes.

Nah, they can always send more dwarves to reclaim the place.

I've never seen so many ghosts. I've certainly never seen ghosts cause a fortress to die by just killing all it's members. So you conquered hell, and then it looks like you were cursed.

I admit, serial-killer ghosts are a new one for me too.  Pretty sure it was mostly one specific ghost that would haunt a dwarf, batter him/her to death, then move onto the next one.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 81