Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 399456 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Dwarf me please! This is awesome! Just an idea: When you're done, remove every corpse from it's coffin in order to make lots of ghosts! e.g. more ghosts than dwarves!

Ghosts? Hell is going to be a HAPPY place, dammit!  TO THE WALLS WITH YOU FOR YOUR IMPUDENCE!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and here's how the North Wall looks right now. 

Spoiler:  Level 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 1 (click to show/hide)

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Let's see...

Thoroughly embarrass the clown car with MAGMA (and water)? Check.
Lead a successful expedition into Hell? Check.
Trap demons with an ingeniously-simple method? Check.
Build walls to keep out the demons that are no more than annoyance to you now? Check.
Build housing and workshops in the glowing pits? Check.

The only thing that could make this more epic is if you flooded Hell with magma for the hell (ucwatididthar) of it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Let's see...

Thoroughly embarrass the clown car with MAGMA (and water)? Check.
Lead a successful expedition into Hell? Check.
Trap demons with an ingeniously-simple method? Check.
Build walls to keep out the demons that are no more than annoyance to you now? Check.
Build housing and workshops in the glowing pits? Check.

The only thing that could make this more epic is if you flooded Hell with magma for the hell (ucwatididthar) of it.

Look at the previous page about me splitting the save-game when it's done.  I'd also like to declare myself King of The Dwarven Hell, if that's alright.

I'd like it noted that while many have fought hell with legions of military dwarves with minimal survivors just to breach Hell,  I only used one to kill the clown car (the sacrifical mason) and on-average I've only had three competent militia dwarves throughout my project in Hell to fend off demons with.  And it's now at the point where it's "sigh, some demons have come in.  Off you go, Swift Tombs" rather than "ohcrapohcrapohcrap, demons!".  Though, I admit I think part of the Clown Car is intended to spawn the local Hell's initial roaming demon population.   And I BROKE that well and truly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 12:19:11 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While I remember, I wanted to share a few notes I've discovered about Hell from my travels and labours

-The Clown Car is NOT infinite as some believe, though that's fairly obvious from the Checkerboard results.  The spawn size varies from about 20-40 demons of random types.

-New Demons will NOT spawn randomly around the perimeter, there are set spawn points they'll pop out from.  I found this out from certain spawn traps always being empty.

-New Demons that spawn in tend to be a group of 3-5 of a single type.  Sometimes they are mixed, but this is rare. 

-If you do not approach or aggro the demons, they will in general stay around the edge of the map where they arrived and eventually depart.

-Although there are a wide variety of species of Demon (I'm assuming), you'll only get about 5-6 different species in your Hell.  Watch the Clown Car when you make the breach and you'll get a good idea of what's going to be lurking down there.

-If your front door is locked, Caravans will path out via Hell.  It's quite strange to watch, frankly.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile

Dwarf me please! This is awesome! Just an idea: When you're done, remove every corpse from it's coffin in order to make lots of ghosts! e.g. more ghosts than dwarves!

Ghosts? Hell is going to be a HAPPY place, dammit!  TO THE WALLS WITH YOU FOR YOUR IMPUDENCE!

Holy crap... That personality describes me almost perfectly!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's the home stretch now.  I've only got to complete building up the left side of the wall on the top level as well as finish the gantries and then all that will be left is to build the wall over that northern glowing pit on the edge of the map (you can see the one I mean in the pictures above).

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

This is simply awesome. In it's entirety.

I hereby present yoou with the Oliolli Meaningless Seal of Approval over the Semi-Official Ownership of Hell.

Along with a ☼Bloated Tuber Biscuit☼
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 02:10:17 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is simply awesome. In it's entirety.

I hereby present yoou with the Oliolli Meaningless Seal of Approval over the Semi-Official Ownership of Hell.

Along with a ☼Bloated Tuber Biscuit☼

Oh SWEET! A biscuit!

Ladies and Gentledwarves, as of now the fourth and fifth levels of the North Wall have been completed.  The dwarves have been ordered to commence work on the remaining open area of the third level over the Glowing Pit.  Hell is almost mine...

A worrying note though - I'm down to 46 dwarves and I haven't had any migrants in almost a year.  I suspect this is because I haven't done any real trading in a while, not to mention that the Goblins keep chasing off the damn trading caravans.   Then again, I haven't seen the Liason in a year or so...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Two Levels Remain Unfinished...

One Level Remains....

edit:  Gah!  I'll get the dwarves going on the final level as soon as one of them GOES TO THE TRADE DEPOT SO WE CAN LOOK RICH TO MIGRANTS!

Edit 2: The dwarves are building it now...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 06:34:28 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ladies and Gentledwarves, Kogul the Watching Mason has just laid the last wall. HELL IS SEALED!

First off, the savegame

Hell is Walled Off

Second, pictures to prove it happened.

Spoiler:  Level 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 5 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 6 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 7 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 8 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 9 (click to show/hide)

Finally, I declare myself the King of Dwarven Hell, for I have claimed it for shits as well as giggles, and made it a safe place for all the dwarves of Swordthunders with a relatively small number of losses.

That's right, I've made the Happy Fun Stuff, a Happy Fun Place for my fortress.

And now...

All rise for the new anthem of Hell!

Last of all; Losing is Fun, but Winning is Satisfying
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 07:43:44 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

(Yes, I gave it again)

So what now for the dwarfed ones?

I truly hope the answer isn't "Now, let's go practice medicine."

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Yes, I gave it again)

So what now for the dwarfed ones?

I truly hope the answer isn't "Now, let's go practice medicine."

First, they floor over the Glowing Pits.  Then.... well...

Edit:  Can someone do me a big favour?  Can someone grab the save and go through Legends to make sure that the Dwarf Civ is okay? Dwarf Caravan just turned up.  No liason, though...
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 08:12:27 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 81