Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 398621 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

As it happened, I got semi-lucky.  The hatch got put in, but a single hammerlord got inside.  I honestly don't know how one of the inner hatches got captured, when neither of the outer ones were (Hence why only one actually got inside while the others stood around outside).  He killed a cat and a goat before Doren literally cut him to pieces.  All four limbs with at LEAST three different weapons (and in one case, punched an arm off with her FIST).  She's a walking killing machine now, and frankly somewhat scary.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

1) Killed clown car hilariously
2) Pwned hell
3) Insulted hell
4) Grew strawberries in hell
5) Created ultimate termidorfinator
6) Created endological kitten warfare
7) Profit.

WINNING

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

If you arrogantly display your dominance over Hell (read: Toady's domain) to Toady, he will make demon carp. YOU KNOW HOW THAT WILL END!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

If you arrogantly display your dominance over Hell (read: Toady's domain) to Toady, he will make demon carp. YOU KNOW HOW THAT WILL END!

That, or the fact that since Toady knows that we can conquer hell now, future patches will bring the fury of the pits or who-knows-what-else to view.

Maybe it will just get worse...

But I'm still loving the checkerboard!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile

You seem to forget that we're getting werebeasts and necromancers in the next update. If your forts are anything like mine then the number of corpses will only be rivaled by the number of vomit covered beards wallowing in the mud outside my defenses. The full moon will paint the party hall red.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Actually, I think that since it to a Stupid Dwraven Trick to accomplish it, Toady won't be too worried.  Once hell is regularly and confidently conquered via raw axe power, then we'll see the difficulty upped.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

You seem to forget that we're getting werebeasts and necromancers in the next update. If your forts are anything like mine then the number of corpses will only be rivaled by the number of vomit covered beards wallowing in the mud outside my defenses. The full moon will paint the party hall red.
Oh god, the demons shall now bring curses. There will be that one that went the other way, that went the path less traveled, and lurks down in hell. That one, shall bring utter chaos upon the world.

FOREVER.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Actually, I think that since it to a Stupid Dwraven Trick to accomplish it, Toady won't be too worried.  Once hell is regularly and confidently conquered via raw axe power, then we'll see the difficulty upped.

One guy actually did that a while back. He threw about 100 military dorfs at the clown car and took it down, and then proceeded to build a secondary fortress in Hell. I didn't actually post in the thread, so there's no hope of me finding it now, but it was in Dwarf Mode Discussion.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One guy actually did that a while back. He threw about 100 military dorfs at the clown car and took it down, and then proceeded to build a secondary fortress in Hell. I didn't actually post in the thread, so there's no hope of me finding it now, but it was in Dwarf Mode Discussion.

Wasn't that the guy who made the first outpost in Hell?

That, or the fact that since Toady knows that we can conquer hell now, future patches will bring the fury of the pits or who-knows-what-else to view.

Maybe it will just get worse...

But I'm still loving the checkerboard!

What's this "we"?  I built the walls and claimed Hell as my personal domain, YOUR dwarf died horribly at the hands of demons while acting as disposable labor on said walls  :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 11:23:38 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Crazylemon64

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [SEVERONBREAK][HOMEOTHERM:999999999]
    • View Profile

If there's any left, could you try caving in some candy canes into hell so your dwarves could live in them? Then, have water flow down the center, leaving a pleasant refreshing mist as it flows through. Of course, you'd have to somehow deal with the nearby magma syrup to prevent it making a mess of the place, but just imagine the thoughts from living in a candy house! Then engrave it, or something. Anything's better with candy.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

If you place a floor grate above a Glowing Pit, can demons spawn from it?
Soaplent green is goblins!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you place a floor grate above a Glowing Pit, can demons spawn from it?

They don't spawn in Glowing Pits - Only on walkable perimeter sections of the map.  Unless they can fly, that is.   Then they can spawn from anywhere on the map edge

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

They don't spawn in Glowing Pits - Only on walkable perimeter sections of the map.  Unless they can fly, that is.   Then they can spawn from anywhere on the map edge
Huh, so the giant glowing pits to deep hell are actually no more dangerous than a river. Strange.

Anyway, the lack of a need to floor them over means that you can construct the best waterfall ever without flooding hell.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile

Does the game actually remove whatever falls in a glowing pit (as far as liquids go) from your framerate?  Or is it secretly still there, gnawing on your framerate?

Also, would building a cave-in version of this checkerboard work?  Or do some Clowns crash the game when crushed still?
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh, so the giant glowing pits to deep hell are actually no more dangerous than a river. Strange.

Anyway, the lack of a need to floor them over means that you can construct the best waterfall ever without flooding hell.

Oh, I'm flooring them over.  When it's done I'll provide a save.  Mainly because I'm going to split it into two so my dwarves can all live happily in it AND FLOOD IT WITH MAGMAAAAAAAAA

Does the game actually remove whatever falls in a glowing pit (as far as liquids go) from your framerate?  Or is it secretly still there, gnawing on your framerate?

Also, would building a cave-in version of this checkerboard work?  Or do some Clowns crash the game when crushed still?

Anything that falls into a Glowing Pit just disappears, so I have no idea.... I think a small experiment is in order...

Cave-ins aren't an effective way to kill a Clown Car due to a bug with flame demons that will crash the game.  I actually had a clown car killing "piston" that probably would've worked if it wasn't for that bug.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:02:54 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 81