Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394270 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The bottom level's now floored over.  The slaves masons are now smoothing over the slade floor and walls for engraving

If I wasn't already dead, I would be literally dying with joy.

One quick question though, once you've made your golf course, your magma river, water slide, residential area /w bees and hellberries, over vast amounts of engravings of dwarves utterly owning demons in hilarious ways in the center of hell, what a' ya gonna do?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

The bottom level's now floored over.  The slaves masons are now smoothing over the slade floor and walls for engraving

If I wasn't already dead, I would be literally dying with joy.

One quick question though, once you've made your golf course, your magma river, water slide, residential area /w bees and hellberries, over vast amounts of engravings of dwarves utterly owning demons in hilarious ways in the center of hell, what a' ya gonna do?

It's bad enough that you had to ask what you would do after making Hell get on its knees. The fact that the plan was brought up earlier only makes things worse.

One word:

MAGMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Once the masons are done engraving the lowest level, I'll fill it with water from the third cavern (the lake intersects the big quarry level in the north-east corner, so I'm building a channel to an excavated adamantine spire with a floodgate to -hopefully- keep it from overfilling)

Also, the dwarven caravan just spawned on the edge of the map, only to have a goblin ambush spawn literally on top of them.  Looks like the caravan guards have slaughtered them though and saved everyone except a single yak.  I'll send my condolences when I'm done looting everything of value that was stored on it.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:30:30 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Once the masons are done engraving the lowest level, I'll fill it with water from the third cavern (the lake intersects the big quarry level in the north-east corner, so I'm building a channel to an excavated adamantine spire with a floodgate to -hopefully- keep it from overfilling.

Also, the dwarven caravan just spawned on the edge of the map, only to have a goblin ambush spawn literally on top of them.  Looks like the caravan guards have slaughtered them though and saved everyone except a single yak.  I'll send my condolences when I'm done looting everything of value that was stored on it.

There is something wrong with your syntax. It is bugging me.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Once the masons are done engraving the lowest level, I'll fill it with water from the third cavern (the lake intersects the big quarry level in the north-east corner, so I'm building a channel to an excavated adamantine spire with a floodgate to -hopefully- keep it from overfilling.

There is something wrong with your syntax. It is bugging me.

Whatever do you mean?... I didn't edit it or anything... *whistles nonchalantly*

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, here's what's left of the lowest floor to go - the white 'doors' need to be smoothed (quirk of the tileset is that it uses doors as designators), the blue ones need to be engraved

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, anyone know any good ways to encourage migrants?  I'm down to 34 dwarves (I was at 36, but a peasant got locked outside during that ambush and it seems the caravan guard didn't quite kill all the goblins.  The other was a failed mood that left a Boyer melancholic) and they seem to have stopped coming altogether (I'm not even getting the "your fortress attracted no migrants this season" message).  You'd think turning Hell into a resort would make them come in droves, if only out of perverse curiosity.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:54:45 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Increase your fortress' created and exported wealth exponentially. And possibly invest in increasing the standard of living and ensuring the current residents are ecstatic at all times. Though it won't directly increase the flow of migrants, it will help prevent further losses to insanity. Work to prevent death where possible.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Increase your fortress' created and exported wealth exponentially. And possibly invest in increasing the standard of living and ensuring the current residents are ecstatic at all times. Though it won't directly increase the flow of migrants, it will help prevent further losses to insanity. Work to prevent death where possible.

I've been checking and they're all pretty happy.  When i started Swordthunders, I got the masons to smooth and engrave the walls of all the bedrooms (they're only 1x3 in size, but they each have a bed, cabinet and door) and the dining hall, so by-and-large they're mostly constantly ecstatic.  There's plenty of booze and food as well, so I'm not too worried about a sudden drop in population from unhappiness.

I'd also like to note that GirlinHat has become a Legendary Engraver - she's knocking out masterpiece floors at a rate of about one every two seconds.  My theory is she's now so skilled she just stamps her foot down and lifts it to reveal a masterpiece of art
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 10:13:02 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

Also, anyone know any good ways to encourage migrants?  I'm down to 34 dwarves (I was at 36, but a peasant got locked outside during that ambush and it seems the caravan guard didn't quite kill all the goblins.  The other was a failed mood that left a Boyer melancholic) and they seem to have stopped coming altogether (I'm not even getting the "your fortress attracted no migrants this season" message).  You'd think turning Hell into a resort would make them come in droves, if only out of perverse curiosity.
How do you keep getting all those failed moods? I never seemed to get them myself. Do you not buy silk, or something?

If there is a siege at the time when migration would occur, the migration for the season can be skipped. The same applies to caravans.

Another way to get a higher population is not to send your dwarfs outside. (Of course, my experience with that was from the fortress defense mod, where 90% of caravans die from ambushes or sieges spawning next to them.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

It's funny, you assume I use my foot :3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

I'd also like to note that GirlinHat has become a Legendary Engraver - she's knocking out masterpiece floors at a rate of about one every two seconds.  My theory is she's now so skilled she just stamps her foot down and lifts it to reveal a masterpiece of art

I propose that she's said "Fuck it, I'm gonna scribble and call it 'modern art.' Then they can interpret it however and it'll somehow seem like a masterpiece to them."

It's funny, you assume I use my foot :3

Well what the hell else could you use?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, here's what's left of the lowest floor to go - the white 'doors' need to be smoothed (quirk of the tileset is that it uses doors as designators), the blue ones need to be engraved

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Find someone good at gem cutting and gem setting and have him encrust stuff with gems (That he cut, preferrably. Use lower value gems first.)

Also, studding and building high-quality armor/crafts with adamantine metal will also shoot value up like nobody's business, considering it's ludicrous 300x value modifier.

A simple large gem's value can shoot upwards, letting even medium value encrusted ones hit over 6000 dorfbux.

More value, more migrants.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:16:26 am by JDF117 »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I already posted my spam-masterpiece-cloth-crafts idea a few pages back, takes 3 dedicated workers and giving your slave labor plant processing and milling, and produces infinite renewable wealth.

Also, I figure since it's me, I'm just going outside and rolling in some filth, getting nice and messy with blood and vomit and severed guts, and then trudging down to hell and smearing my ass over the floor (because we're all naked at this point, and probably covered in mess).  That seems like something I'd do.  In your mayor's room.  It's a picture of a goat and dwarves.  The dwarves are embracing the goat.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

(I'm not even getting the "your fortress attracted no migrants this season" message)
I had that quite a few years after opening hell accidentally. The clown car was parked somewhere else so it wasn't the end of the fortress, and since then I've cleared out the demons that made up the initial rush. What did get the 'no migrants' message coming back was using Runesmith to genocide the demons that were floating around at the time, but I kept on getting it even after a couple of adamantine artifacts.

Even odder, another fortress in the same DF folder but in a different region (generated recently) is getting no migrants despite the civ sending caravans and me making over 75,000db of stuff in the first year and giving the caravan a nice profit. I'm still getting the 'no migrants' message. Maybe I'll generate another region and see if that's the same. It's all very odd.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I already posted my spam-masterpiece-cloth-crafts idea a few pages back, takes 3 dedicated workers and giving your slave labor plant processing and milling, and produces infinite renewable wealth.

Also, I figure since it's me, I'm just going outside and rolling in some filth, getting nice and messy with blood and vomit and severed guts, and then trudging down to hell and smearing my ass over the floor (because we're all naked at this point, and probably covered in mess).  That seems like something I'd do.  In your mayor's room.  It's a picture of a goat and dwarves.  The dwarves are embracing the goat.

You've got two out of three right - you're all naked (and your feet are covered in demon goo from a Spring Green Demon corpse laying where all of you were smoothing and engraving) and there was a goat engraved on the floor.  The mayor's office was engraved decades ago.

Oh, and the bottom layer's completely done.  Time to prepare the water channel to fill the dwarven swimming pool!

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 81