Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 400608 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile

There issssss a reasssssson that the dwarvessssss are ssssssso keen on sssssealing off the glowing pitsssssss...

This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Actually,  I floored over one of them so my dwarves could live in it while walling off the rest of it.  There's three levels inside - a stockpile of stone, a level of bedrooms and a dining room, and the lowest level has a food stockpile and barracks for a militia squad.

Essentially, I turned one from a terrible fate to fall in into a happy home for my dwarves while they work.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just out of curiosity, do you guys want me to share a save every now and then of the current progress?  Right now my Masons (or as i call them; The Masonic Order of Cavern-Sealers) are spread over the South-West area of Hell, flooring and walling various sections.  I've got them focusing on the ground sections leading off-map to stop pesky ground-based demons spawning in.  Granted, I know what that'll probably cause to happen instead, but it'll help in the short-term.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Maybe screenshots would do the trick. Could visualise the progress here and now.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile

Indeed, I'd love to hear about it. 
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

This has really gone a long way.

You should breed animals (and dwarfs) in the pits where most of the demons were >:]

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright.  There's just a fair whack of ground to cover, that's why i was gonna offer the save. 

Here's what the Pit House looks like inside
Spoiler: Level 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Level 1 (click to show/hide)

There's a third level atop those, but all it's used for is to store the Gabbro used to build the walls.

This is the area outside the Pit House.  This was the first wall they did and it exents and spreads out on the levels above.  It still has the upper-most level to go though as i have the Masons walling off the map edges that have ground instead of Glowing Pits to keep most of the Demon types at bay.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is a shot of the southern wall where you can see the spots with ground have been walled-up first

The south-west corner is moderately complete as well, again still got to do the top level as well as the south wall.  That gray line along the side of the image is all gabbro wall.

Finally, you may be wondering how I'm getting so much Gabbro for the walls.  Well...

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Depends on how many z-levels you have to wall off.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's five z-levels in Hell, at least the one under Swordthunders.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's five z-levels in Hell, at least the one under Swordthunders.

Hm.  It might not be enough then. You may have to use non-gabbro on other z-levels.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, I'll just dig out another level of Gabbro.  There's one above the current quarry level i can dig out.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Probably a good idea.  It'll give your non-legendary miners (if you still have any) some practice anyway.

Might want to build supports just to be safe, though I doubt it'll be a problem.  I built supports in my external mine because it has a weird problem with irrational cave-ins (it's connected damnit!  why is it falling?  Oh well).

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nah, I've done this before with a Cavern.  All you have to worry about is unwanted visitors spawning on the tops of walls.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

I built supports in my external mine because it has a weird problem with irrational cave-ins (it's connected damnit!  why is it falling?  Oh well).

I think back in 23a you had to build supports inside, as, was it 7x7 areas, would collapse in their own.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Red Demon's frying some of my recruits at the moment.  They decided to go rushing after it BEFORE getting their gear.  the ground around the entry into the Pit House is gonna smell terrible.  Not that it probably wouldn't already with the dead Pterodactyl demon on the doorstep surrounded by it's goo.  I'm mildly concerned what may happen to anything that steps through that muck without shoes.  Might chain an animal atop it and see what happens.  Here, kitty, kitty...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 81