Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 400328 times)

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Since we're asking, am I still alive? I think I arrived pretty late in the game, so I'm hopeful.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Since we're asking, am I still alive? I think I arrived pretty late in the game, so I'm hopeful.

We're hanging on the skin of our badger teeth totems.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

We're hanging on the skin of our kitten leather socks.

FTFY.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

FTFY.
That's another thing I don't get, how do dwarves make leather without actually... Well tanning anything, and how do they not need to sow everything together? You'd think they genetically breed kittens in the shapes of socks.

WOOOOAOAHHOAAOH I'm onto something here.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

FTFY.
That's another thing I don't get, how do dwarves make leather without actually... Well tanning anything, and how do they not need to sow everything together? You'd think they genetically breed kittens in the shapes of socks.

WOOOOAOAHHOAAOH I'm onto something here.
They use the oil in their beards to tan, and then use their beards to sew the leather  ;)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

THE SOCK IS ONE WITH THEIR BEARD!!!

I really like the idea of genetically altered sock kittens. Seems dwarfy enough.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

I almost felt bad for being partially responsible for this thread's derailment.

Then, I noticed the topic was modding kittens so they were in the shape of socks. Continue.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler: Need I say more. (click to show/hide)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

THE SOCK IS ONE WITH THEIR BEARD!!!

I really like the idea of genetically altered sock kittens. Seems dwarfy enough.

I always figured they skinned the kitten so expertly that it was all one piece.  Then they sewed it up and stuck their foot in it.

Sad to say, you're dead.

Here's a list of everyone who is still alive and working on flooring over the pits or generally working in the fortress

Eric Blank
Khearn
Mego III
Oliolli III
Vehudur (fairly certain he's now the longest-surviving named dwarf since GirlinHat's dead)
Wannazzaki II
Grath
Loud Whispers II
Tiruin

If your name's not there and you were dwarfed at some point, you're in the cold hard ground or entombed in the wall.

He's had so many caravans slaughtered, how can he not have enough crap lying around to satisfy any mood?

Hey!  I don't slaughter caravans!  They just leave in less than ideal circumstances.  Generally via the spiritual plane...
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:03:51 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, good news Eric Blank:  You've started your Mysterious Construction!  I'll edit this post when it's finished

Spoiler:  The Trap of Nights (click to show/hide)

It would seem the queen of The Permanent Papers is, or at least was at one point, a blind human.  At least, that's what I'm guessing by "blind woman". 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:31:44 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

With the merchants, instead of locking them in, you should let them leave... INTO HELL!
(Seriously, if demons don't kill them before they leave, it counts as 'leaving safely'  :P)

It would seem the queen of The Permanent Papers is, or at least was at one point, a blind human.  At least, that's what I'm guessing by "blind woman".
"Blind Woman" probably refers to a creepy eyeless night creature. Something like a female version of:
Spoiler:  This (click to show/hide)
Soaplent green is goblins!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He's had so many caravans slaughtered, how can he not have enough crap lying around to satisfy any mood?

Hey!  I don't slaughter caravans!  They just leave in less than ideal circumstances.  Generally via the spiritual plane...
I didn't mean that you slaughtered them. If so, I'd have said "He's slaughtered so many...". I just meant that so many have been slaughtered, and thus you should have access to their loot leftovers contents. They don't generally take that stuff with them to the spiritual plane.

I think I've only lost one dwarf to a failed mood in my current fort. He went moody just before a series of nasty ambushes and I got distracted. The rest of them have all found what they needed with little or no action on my part necessary, because I keep a large selection of stuff around. I think the only things I've needed to attend to were a couple that wanted rough gems and all of mine were already cut. But that was easy enough to fix. It's not that hard to keep stuff stocked for moods, just a little of each type of cloth, a little of each type of raw glass, and some stone/metal blocks. You can pick up all of those from the first few caravans. Everything else is stuff that's usually lying around any fort. Any fort beyond it's first year ought to have everything a moody dwarf is likely to need.

I did have a guy just yesterday who specifically wanted pig iron. His preferences said he liked it. I had forbidden all metal bars except for steel because he was a weaponsmith and I didn't want something lame like a lead sword. After I noticed what he wanted and unforbid the pig iron, he ended up making a large, serrated pig iron disc, which I promptly combined with a masterwork obsidian mechanism to make the final trap in my entrance. Everyone going in or out gets to admire it. I've never had a moody dwarf ask for something that specific that I didn't have handy, though. I'm not sure if I've been lucky, or if a dwarf will only want a specific type of item he prefers if you have some around. If I hadn't had any pig iron, I'm not sure if he would have just asked for any metal or if I'd have had to whip some up quickly. Considering how common preferences for a specific metal or gem is, I'd think we'd run into that all the time. I've seen plenty of dwarfs that like stones or gems I never see, but don't recall every having a moody dwarf asking for a blue diamond or stibnite blocks.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

With the merchants, instead of locking them in, you should let them leave... INTO HELL!
(Seriously, if demons don't kill them before they leave, it counts as 'leaving safely'  :P)

"Blind Woman" probably refers to a creepy eyeless night creature. Something like a female version of:
Spoiler:  This (click to show/hide)

It says she was the king's consort.  I cant even try to think what happened in that bedroom...

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

It says she was the king's consort.  I cant even try to think what happened in that bedroom...
No, he was her consort. She kidnapped him after he became king. (Because kidnapping princesses is for noobs.) It is a known bug that the legends mode confuses the timing of that kind of thing.
I do agree that is a rather worse fate than even a dwarf would wish upon a noble.

Hey, a question occurs to me:
Can flyers spawn above the 'ground level' on map edges (in hell and otherwise), and can caravans leave through floors on the edge that are above 'ground level'?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 10:03:46 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No, he was her consort. She kidnapped him after he became king. (Because kidnapping princesses is for noobs.) It is a known bug that the legends mode confuses the timing of that kind of thing.
I do agree that is a rather worse fate than even a dwarf would wish upon a noble.

Hey, a question occurs to me:
Can flyers spawn above the 'ground level' on map edges (in hell and otherwise), and can caravans leave through floors on the edge that are above 'ground level'?

Yes and yes.  I get a few Cinder Demons and Pterodactyl Demons spawning under one of the corners that I floored over early on.  Also, anything that's on the edge of a map is exitable at any altitude.  I kept getting demons spawning atop the walls while building them.  Thankfully, usually well away or on an isolated section so they couldn't do anything
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 81