Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394196 times)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile

I built supports in my external mine because it has a weird problem with irrational cave-ins (it's connected damnit!  why is it falling?  Oh well).

I think back in 23a you had to build supports inside, as, was it 7x7 areas, would collapse in their own.
I'm using the current version, haven't used any other version yet. 

Aside from the cave-in I had at the start of the map, I haven't had an indoors cave-in yet, just outdoors ones.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Bug with your genned world, perhaps?  And the Red Demon's dead.  Took out half a militia squad though.  Replacements have been drafted and they've been issued crossbows as standard issue.  With bolts this time, after i remembered the ammo section.  It's currently Early Summer and I'm hoping for some migrants I can put into chain gangs building the walls induct into the Masonic Order of Cavern-Sealers as i lost a few to that damn Red Demon.  The militia should (in theory) be training now instead of rushing blind without getting their equipment first so i don't have another dwarven barbeque. 

Edit:  Yup, the recruits definitely have weapons now.  One just took out a beserk moody dwarf wearing nothing but an addy gauntlet (on his left hand, for the curious)  and a steel short sword.  I should probably trade for more metal as there's none in Swordthunders.  Despite what the world map promised me... >.>

Edit 2:  I have a jaguar with his paws covered in the pterosaur's goo.  Nothing bad's happened yet.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 07:09:06 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay Aussie.  Think this'll work for me?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Naturally once my pump stack is finished (about a third of the way built, waiting on my Fikod Lindcatten-- my smithy whom is made of win and awesome for how fast and well he forges-- to create more iron blocks, corkscrews, and pipes) I'm creating a lot of iron grates to go with this.  Iron is supremely abundant here so it's not a drain on my resources.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're pumping in from the sides?  Nooooo.  Odds are the fluids will meet in the middle and mix to make a wall.  Also, they're not large enough.  They'll only reach about half the board apiece before they settle.  Magma's a very slow-moving liquid and water tends to slow down around the 3/7 level quite a bit.  That's why you fill it from two levels above (the gameboard having an open carved-out z-level over the one with the grates)

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're pumping in from the sides?  Nooooo.  Odds are the fluids will meet in the middle and mix to make a wall.  Also, they're not large enough.  They'll only reach about half the board apiece before they settle.  Magma's a very slow-moving liquid and water tends to slow down around the 3/7 level quite a bit.  That's why you fill it from two levels above (the gameboard having an open carved-out z-level over the one with the grates)
What if they were two z-levels high and both z-levels were full of liquid?  Hm. 

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again, they'd fuse in the middle and create a wall.  By pouring them one at a time from overhead, they pass over the already-obsidianized spots to fill the still-empty ones and the floor grates keep anything from getting out.  You also want them coming in from below as the basic behaviour of the demon AI is to go up as high as possible (Probably so they path through your fort and murder everything they can).  they climb up into the gameboard and just sit twiddling their thumbs because they cant path any higher.  Coming in from the side, they MAY decide to go back out into the hallway.  Floodgates won't stop that as they're building destroyers.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, I see your confusion now I think. 

The liquids ARE one z-level above, not on the same level as the checkerboard.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, pouring down is what you need.   You want a level in-between though.

Something like

Magma Tank  |  Water Tank.
Empty Space  (recommend just digging this out, cutting out around the edge of the floor and letting it drop to cave-in the board squares)
Surface (the level with the magma-safe floorgrates)
Gameboard (inside with the checkerboard walls)
Pathway up from the Spire  (You'll want a side path so a mason can go in and wall himself into the pathway before going down to let the demons in)

You should also go with excavated walls over built ones as I SWEAR I've seen a demon or something destroy a built wall.  Don't quote me on that though.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've never seen that happen when my place was attacked by building destroyers.

At any rate, I'll continue emptying out this level then but also build another level on top of it.  Would it work if I did this?

(image is horizontal)

EEDWWDE
FFUEEUF
FFFFFFF

To get them in to the checkerboard-- IE, a dip downward and then stairs up into the chamber, with a bridge to block off the stairs down on the far side (not the side with the magma)?  Or will they simply not go down a level like that to chase Urist McLivingBait?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They MIGHT, but you won't get all of them.  They'll sit at the "peak" in the corridor and spread out.  While some will chase Urist McBait, you'll get quite a few that simply go "screw this" and go back down to hell. If you give them a straight clear climb into the checkerboard, you'll get the entire clown car, guranteed.

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In that case, I'll pretty much be REQUIRED to build artificial walls unless I want to move it all. 

Which I don't.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Go with the artificial walls then.  They won't live very long anyway.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Artificial walls can only be destroyed by caving them into a void, or by dwarven fingernails issues the deconstruction order.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Artificial walls can only be destroyed by caving them into a void, or by dwarven fingernails issues the deconstruction order.

I always thought they just used their prehensile beards to wrap around the wall and compress it down to a single spherical stone?  That or headbutt the wall till it broke

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Actually, dwarven medical science has shown that a wall is just a mass of booze vomit with some pebbles stuck in the middle, and proclaimed "rock wall".  Don't ask how it's deconstructed...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 81