Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 400556 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

If the animals were pushed off a high ledge, the impact can literally shear off limbs and send them flying in all directions (which is actually what happens a lot in real life too - There are stories of rugby players without the protection of tons of muscle having bones sheared off just by colliding with another player, or the classic case of SPULAT)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Exactly. They fell down some shafts in the general vicinity of the main stairwell and exploded on impact.

Strangely, not a single dorf died during the flooding. Some huge number of cavies (lots of cavies...), rabbits, cats, and goats drowned or blew apart when they collided with the only obstacle they couldn't dodge - the ground.

But time may well be your greatest resource. Perhaps after completing all your current tasks you could turn off invasions, run it for a couple seasons (so the goblins can blow off that last bit of steam before they accept the "no invasions" order), and then just let it run for as long as possible, perhaps exporting a ton of goods.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Dwarf Ninja cancels SPUHLAT, defying gravity.

Dwarf Ninja dodges colliding with the ground.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Exactly. They fell down some shafts in the general vicinity of the main stairwell and exploded on impact.

Strangely, not a single dorf died during the flooding. Some huge number of cavies (lots of cavies...), rabbits, cats, and goats drowned or blew apart when they collided with the only obstacle they couldn't dodge - the ground.

But time may well be your greatest resource. Perhaps after completing all your current tasks you could turn off invasions, run it for a couple seasons (so the goblins can blow off that last bit of steam before they accept the "no invasions" order), and then just let it run for as long as possible, perhaps exporting a ton of goods.

Might just do that.  Also going to run the clean tool in DFHack later, or I'll NEVER get rid of all the bodies and pieces cluttering up the outside.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

DFcleanmap only removes the blood stains. Do you have one that legitimately removes the corpses? Perhaps the immolate function would burn away most of them...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

There's an autodump function that teleports items marked for dumping to the floor tile the cursor is on (autodump). There's also an option to poof dump-marked items out of existence (autodump destroy), but going through the game itself will ensure that the items get taken out of existence properly.

The first option removes the 'dump' status and adds the 'forbidden' status, and doesn't cancel any Dump Item jobs that might be on any of the items.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Or you could add in the bone brick reaction from Battlefailed/Failcannon, and have your masons on repeat make bone bricks. Have an above-ground fortress made out of bones, and a fortress in Hell made out of wood.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Or you could add in the bone brick reaction from Battlefailed/Failcannon, and have your masons on repeat make bone bricks. Have an above-ground fortress made out of bones, and a fortress in Hell made out of wood.

Tempting, but I don't want my meager 19 dwarves going anywhere above ground where they might get hurt.  Oh, and what happened with your own examination of Swordthunders, Mego?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Minor update on the fortress - I've built two more Hellvillas that just need furnishing,  the dwarves have floored over 3/4'ers of the current Pit they're working on (same one I mentioned recent;y), the adamantine SWORDTHUNDERS sign is now up to the 'N', and I've expanded the clifftop picnic area to four tables.

No-one's died, save a goblin ambush that poppped up on the front doorstep.  You'd think the hundreds of skeletons laying there would dissuade them from coming after a few decades of Doren outright slaughtering them.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

It's the goblin way of population control. When dwarves would apply magma, goblins send out sieges or ambushes.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Well then why don't we help the goblins die? :P

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Well then why don't we help the goblins die? :P
Wait... so we're being kind?

GOD DAMN IT EVERYTHING I WORK FOR IS A LIE

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

If you're going to help people die, you might as well have !FUN! and do it in the most messed up and malicious ways possible. It's only fair for both parties.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

If you're going to help people die, you might as well have !FUN! and do it in the most messed up and malicious ways possible. It's only fair for both parties.
Oh god. The DF omniverse is just one giant S&M club. I'm to go back to my magma cocoon now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

We don't have caged goblins yet.

Dammit bay 12.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 81