Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 400147 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Well, killed a few Boiling Brutes that came calling.  I'd like to give particular thanks to one that just sat mid-air and let a marksdwarf level up on it before he finally managed to shoot it in the face and make it explode.  Also managed to leave a few Pterosaur Demons alone till they left of their own volition.  As for the walls, I've got the dwarves blocking up the north areas with ground on the edge tile (that's where most of the demons seem to be coming from.  I THINK the spawning process makes them appear well away from where the dwarves are clustered on purpose).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Could you block the spawns by posting migrants in burrows at the edge of hell?  Would the spawn decide that nowhere was good, or would it just drop demons on your head?  So much science~

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is an interesting question.  I suspect if i built another Pit House somewhere around the north-east it would make them start coming out around the southern area more... Hmm..  At the moment, my Masons are concentrating on the West wall to get one side completely done (they're making okay progress between demons killing them in groups of 3 or 4 before the militia arrives and loses a few of their own).  Once that's done, i might get them all focussing on flooring over and building into a reasonably-sized Glowing Pit somewhere in the north-east area.

Edit:  Speaking of demons, Militia Commander Doren Domainhall, the Amazing Mountain of Roughness (and perhaps holder of the most dwarfy name ever that doesn't include magma)  just took down a Pterodactyl demon on his own without getting so much as a scratch.  If he didn't already have a title, I'd declare him Resident Badass.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:12:10 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a minor update.  I had a pair of tame Gorillas chained outside the entrance into the Pit House because, who doesn't want Gorilla Guards in Hell? 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sadly, the male of the pair, who I dubbed Mr Magilla for his size, got the business end of a Spring Green Devil throw.  That vertical red trail is his.  It doesn't show the body as it was flashing, but it wasn't a pretty end.  That swordsdwarf you see, Zanig Warmknives, recently joined the militia from a wave of migrants.  He made sure that Magilla was avenged.  The Swift Tombs surrounded the Demon and Zanig actually beat Doren to the kill.  There's promise in him, I reckon, if he survives long enough.  Those two amber demons are just the corpses by the way. 

And i suppose I should ask as I'm sharing ongoing progress on the wall;  Anyone want a dorfing?  Something I've never gotten to do for others before and it might help me keep track of which Masons are fairly old and which are the new draftees stepping in (and occasionally over)  the burning/boiling/rotting remains of the latest victims of a Demon visit.

Oh, and as to the wall itself;  Just the one picture, but it should give you an idea of progress.

I've nearly gotten half the western wall done.  I say half as that semi-molten rock wall goes down to the level of the stairs into the Pit House.  Under that to the north is another five z-levels.   Overall, I'd say I have a little more than that though.  Maybe about 1/7th or so of the entire perimeter, given random walls around the place put up to keep flightless demons out of trouble.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

If you would be so kind, I'd appreciate if you could dorf me, preferrably a new mason from scratch. No prior mason-skill, just a new dorf.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Done.  You're an Animal Caretaker that was drafted into the Masonic Order of Cavern Sealers.  Aka "I need more dwarves on the armok-damned wall!  Get to it!"

Oh and a bit of news:  The dwarves have completed the south-west wall.  They're now starting on the North-West section below that weird semi-molten area.  It's 5z in height, but only a quarter of the length for the West wall, so it shouldn't take as long.  Probably going to work my way around the map clockwise building the entire thing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:27:50 am by ThatAussieGuy »

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

I'd absolutely never have thought that anybody would invent a surefire way to make Hell harmless. Well done.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you.  It makes getting into hell easy as well as it kills EVERY demon in the Clown Car so they cant spread out around Hell.  All you get is the odd group of 3-5 of a single type of demon on the edge of the map.  If you're VERY lucky and none of your dwarves go near them, they eventually leave on their own. 

I'd also like to note that I haven't made Hell harmless, I've merely neutralized the initial demon rush.  I'm in the PROCESS of making Hell harmless with the wall around the perimeter.  Oh, and out of curiosity, would the Dwarven Checkerboard be Wiki-worthy under megaprojects or hell or something?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:45:03 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

I have to say, I would probably have made him a military man. Mighty, almost never sick and slow to tire. Plus, I'm guessing that menacing stare could stop a bronze colossus in it's tracks. But still, thanks :D

EDIT: Fixed a typo
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 07:34:17 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I might still when i get some migrants.  All i have is two squads at the moment.  I have 101 dwarves, but of that 29 are children and one is a severely crippled ex-hammer lord that i haven't the heart to put him out of his misery.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for that previous quandary about demons destroying wall, IIRC building destroyers can destroy partially constructed walls, but not fully constructed walls. Those are more or less treated as natural terrain. (save in cave-ins, of course.)

Also, great job on this! Turning a wave of clowns into a game, and now turning hell into a peaceful outpost? This is dorfy. Thank you for your contributions to dwarf-kind.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for that previous quandary about demons destroying wall, IIRC building destroyers can destroy partially constructed walls, but not fully constructed walls. Those are more or less treated as natural terrain. (save in cave-ins, of course.)

Aaah, that might be what happened with my fort.  Also, Mr. Magilla has a replacement - A Chimpanzee.  If you're wondering why I got these exotic animals, it's mostly because traders haven't always... returned from Swordthunders.  At one point the Trade Depot was on the front doorstep and a Siege turned up...  A few times traders have gone beserk because i wouldn't let them out to play with a Goblin Siege too.

Some Boiling Brutes appeared on the wall the Masons are currently working on in the NE corner.  They got battered around a bit without any real injuries before the Swift Tombs turned up and laughed at them before taking them to pieces VERY quickly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Seems like you'd just order a constant patrol at this point...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I prefer to keep the Swift Tombs at the Pit House as that's where demons generally make a bee-line for if they get aggro'ed by wandering dwarves.  I really should learn how to set up patrols though. 

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just wanted to share this little pic and tip-

When building a wall around the perimeter of a cavern or hell, whenever possible you should block off the "excess" wall you're not working on at present in case something... unfriendly spawns on it.  Case in point below.  Building down from the top instead up from the ground also prevents this, for ground-based critters anyway, but it's a lot slower as the dwarves cant stand atop the wall to build the gantry for the wall on that level.

Oh, and I've got 2/5 levels done on the NW wall now.  The third level's getting it's gantry and some of the wall done, the forth and fifth are slowly getting their gantry's built with the occasional bit of wall set up beside them  The Western Wall is almost complete.  Just the Fifth level and a bit of the Fourth to go.

Also, I'd like to share something I found amusing -  A Red Devil fighting a Duck.  Badly.

Spoiler:  Oh noes! (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Huh.... (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 01:41:50 am by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 81