Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394235 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome.

"Urist McLeverPuller has completed creation of 20 Obsidian Statues of Clowns"

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile

Awesome.

Now all you need to do is take two of those statues, put them on a strange, tall building, wait a few thousand years, then create a paranormal event!

There is no Urist, only Zuul!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Awesome.

Now all you need to do is take two of those statues, put them on a strange, tall building, wait a few thousand years, then create a paranormal event!

There is no Urist, only Zuul!

I'll see what i can do about a tower in hell under Swordthunders.  It'll be a while though - the Dwarven Masonic Order of Cavern-Sealers (Swordthunders Chapter) are facing their greatest challenge;  Sealing off Hell.  Entirely around the edge of the map and flooring over the glowing pits.  They're dangerous to child-rearing dwarves, you know.  I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony. 

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony. 

That sounds so wrong...

But you did end it all with a giant board game so...

:)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

You need a medal.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do believe I have my first sig.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

Putting it that way makes you sound like a 60s Batman supervillain.
Soaplent green is goblins!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do believe I have my first sig.

I'm honored. 

Putting it that way makes you sound like a 60s Batman supervillain.

It wasn't so much supervillainy as carnie-harking the latest boardgame all the dwarves will love.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, a new little development.  I thought; "How can i truly insult hell in an amusing and dwarven way?".  And the answer has come to me - I'm not just gonna wall it off, I'm gonna floor off the Glowing Pits at the lowest point and build homes for my masons to live in while they make Hell safe for the entire fortress.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I want to see a "cage" of walls and floors built overhanging a glowing pit.  That would have to be the single most terrifying thing in the world.  The pits are the deepest part of the world, underneath the soil, under the "underworld" of the caverns, under even the great magma sea and even deeper than hell itself.  The demons don't come from the pits, they wander hell itself and come from other areas of the world.  What is an glowing pit?  A swirling, softly purple glow in the darkness, deeper than any pit any dwarf or tectonics have even created.  And something must be down there.  The energy must come from somewhere.  What, in all of creation itself, could be lurking in the infinite depths that even a demon won't venture into?  What Old Gods lay sleeping?  What unrestrained, primeval energy billows up from the unknown depths?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is indeed a profound and clever idea.  But instead I'm going to turn Hell into a happy, fun place for dwarves to be safe.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile

I want to see a "cage" of walls and floors built overhanging a glowing pit.  That would have to be the single most terrifying thing in the world.  The pits are the deepest part of the world, underneath the soil, under the "underworld" of the caverns, under even the great magma sea and even deeper than hell itself.  The demons don't come from the pits, they wander hell itself and come from other areas of the world.  What is an glowing pit?  A swirling, softly purple glow in the darkness, deeper than any pit any dwarf or tectonics have even created.  And something must be down there.  The energy must come from somewhere.  What, in all of creation itself, could be lurking in the infinite depths that even a demon won't venture into?  What Old Gods lay sleeping?  What unrestrained, primeval energy billows up from the unknown depths?

And thus, Toady realizes what he needs to do to make hell terrifying again.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ahhh, dammit.  Much as i hate to say it, I think I'm gonna have to savescum and rebreach hell.  Somehow i got slaughtered down from 110 to 43 dwarves (I suspect there's an ambush squad in the hills outside somewhere still)  And a few dwarves got taken out by Red Demons.  Ah well.  Losing is still FUN!

Edit:  This is interesting - there's a sole Dwarf still in Hell.  And he's still diligently working to build my initial hellfortress.  I'm a little torn now.  Should i stay and watch this one dwarf build an outpost for future dwarves, or do i savescum and re-breach hell with a good 110-odd dwarves ready and raring to go with a better outpost in hell starting from the ceiling before building down to ground-level to wall off Hell itself?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:54:40 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Copy the world folder now, and you'll be able to savescum back to the status of the last save, and watch the one worker on the copy of the world.  Just don't exit DF before you copy the folders, leave it running.

And have him smooth and engrave the slade.  Can you do that?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Copy the world folder now, and you'll be able to savescum back to the status of the last save, and watch the one worker on the copy of the world.  Just don't exit DF before you copy the folders, leave it running.

And have him smooth and engrave the slade.  Can you do that?

Sadly, i saved before i realised i only had 43 dwarves left.  And I've just told him to try now...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 81