Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394153 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Ladies and Gentledwarves, I have now completed the Western Wall. 

Spoiler:  Level 1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 2 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 3 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 4 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Level 5 (click to show/hide)

So now, there's a choice;  Do i build along the north side first, where I haven't really built much yet,  or along the south side where i have some half-finished walls already in place?

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Get the south side. You can start focusing your military to a single area sooner.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

South it is, then.  Oh, the human caravan arrived and was surprised by a goblin ambush spawning right on top of them.  I sent the Flashes of Gravel, the topside squad, out to help, but by the time they got there there was only one merchant and swordsman left with a single cargo yak.  They immediately left, leaving the stuff on the dead yaks and traders for me to loot.  Same time next year and more of the same again please, humans!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Say... can humans distinguish between dozens of steel spears striking up from the ground and hidden gobbos stabbing them?

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I dont have the dwarfpower or the steel to set spear traps, sadly.  On the plus side, the dwarven caravan pissed off a group of Demons of Amber so they killed themselves violently.  Pity about the swordsdwarf in the caravan.  He basically became one big blood-filled blister from the boiling extract blast, poor bastard

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How did they piss it off? Is your trade depot in hell?

If not, you're doing it wrong.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How did they piss it off? Is your trade depot in hell?

If not, you're doing it wrong.

They decided to leave my fortress via Hell because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.  And my Trading Depot isn't in hell - it's up in the main fortress in a colossal storage cavern so i don't have to lug stuff to it from all over the fortress

Edit:  Interesting little update - Doren, the badass militia commander, just got a faceful of fire from popping a Red Demon... and she's not dead.  She's lost the fat on her hand and thigh, her lower body is melted and she's pale, but she's made it back to the squad dorm and seems to be happily leading a demonstration.  Her bio's also now saying that she's "basically unbreakable".  And unburnable too, without her fat.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:36:40 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

her lower body is melted and she's pale
Can you check the demon's skills somehow?  Was it an animal caretaker or a surgeon?  I think she's been spayed in the only way demons know how to do it.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

her lower body is melted and she's pale
Can you check the demon's skills somehow?  Was it an animal caretaker or a surgeon?  I think she's been spayed in the only way demons know how to do it.

The sad thing is she was married with two kids.  The husband and kids are LONG dead.  I honestly have no idea how, but I'd guess either goblins, snatchers or demons. Possibly insane from moods gone wrong.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sounds like a stroll through legends mode~

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That'll be quite a long search - Swordthunders is about 15 years old and there have been a LOT of deaths.

edit:  I just saw how many coffins Swordthunders has - 712.  This place has officially beaten my old fort.  THAT one took about 20-30 years to get up to around 900+
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:24:29 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, the mayor's displeased me now.  It's that crippled hammerlord, granted he has a title and 19 goblin kills, but he has motor AND sensory nerve damage as well as having lost the ability to grasp.  And he wants an iron bed.  Any ideas on how to respond to his demands in a prompt and final manner?

(Honestly, I'm not surprised he's the mayor though.  I removed all his jobs and left him wandering around the fortress.  He also keeps filling up the announcement screen with "cannot store owned item, too injured")

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, obviously, either make him an iron bed of eternity (ie, tomb, lock him in and then put a slab above it) or... hmm... you have this conveniently placed HELL ITSELF to utilize!  WHY do you have to even think about how to handle this?!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, obviously, either make him an iron bed of eternity (ie, tomb, lock him in and then put a slab above it) or... hmm... you have this conveniently placed HELL ITSELF to utilize!  WHY do you have to even think about how to handle this?!

The problem's about to solve itself.  Probably.  Sakul Roomskinned, the Unwelcome Fork (and even more unwelcome Mayor) got herself locked outside during the current goblin siege.  I kinda wished they hadn't turned up right when the Elven Caravan had (again) as i really want to get some proper trade going to attract more slave labour potential masons

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I sent the Swift Tombs up to pay the Goblins a visit.  Only Doren actually got outside.

She'd already just gone through about eight trolls before i took a picture

She left the Goblin Hammerlord broken and unconcious while she slaughtered the others before coming back to finish him off last.  Because she knows no mercy, only stabbing.

edit:  Sakzul actually survived  (He's probably the only dwarf to survive being outside during a siege that wasn't Doren)  So i have a new job for him:  Hell Scout.  A one-man militia squad that will go say "howdy" to the next group of demons that rock up.  Preferrably something ground-based stuck on a wall that can throw fire...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:03:42 pm by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 81