Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394182 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Do him a favor and have them all assigned to a single-tile pasture over a pit that falls a straight 10 z-levels into your dining hall. The fighting that ensues will provide unimaginable benefits to the fortress, and certainly wouldn't give cat owners any negative thoughts!

I think I know how I'm going to train my militia...  Alright lads, just wait in this room, pay no attention to the hole in the ceiling or the increasingly-loud angry meowing coming from it...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Sounds rather similar to an idea of my own...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Will 8z do for catsplatter, or should I increase the depth a few levels to guarantee kitty-kibble?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cats are a little small, makes them resistant to drops, but probably fine.  Not like you can't do it again, right?

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kitty-kibble?

"'ey dear, m'breakfast tastes a bit off 'tis mornin"

"Ah, don' wory 'bout it, hon. 'tis finely minced."
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:20:05 am by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cats are a little small, makes them resistant to drops, but probably fine.  Not like you can't do it again, right?

Might put a circular saw trap under the hole with a dwarf repeatedly pulling the lever.  THAT should upset the recruits.  "meeeeeooowwwwwwwwwwww*BUZZZ**splatter*"

edit: the thought occurs that this may possibly be the most horrible thing I've ever designed....   :-\
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:30:34 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I vote for a pasture zone.  1x1, using the same danger room design to force the military into the area.  The cats fight, and as they do, they die and cause immunity to trauma.  Plus, if you pet-lock the door, then it should cause no pathing issues.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...You want me to organize underground cat pit-fighting to turn my militia into sociopaths who don't care about anything?  ???

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Silly question.  Is Hell like the surface or caverns at this point where it only will have 2-3 groups of "wildlife" wandering at any specific time?

And if so, could you not construct a "holding area" with a roof and gate, bait a demon spawning (or two) into it, lock them in with a closed drawbridge, and potentially then work on construction with potentially fewer interruptions?
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Silly question.  Is Hell like the surface or caverns at this point where it only will have 2-3 groups of "wildlife" wandering at any specific time?

And if so, could you not construct a "holding area" with a roof and gate, bait a demon spawning (or two) into it, lock them in with a closed drawbridge, and potentially then work on construction with potentially fewer interruptions?

It's like the caverns, but you only get 1-2 groups of 3-5 demons at any one time.  And the problem comes from the fact that as you lay a wall, it becomes an acceptable spawn point because it's flat ground on the edge of the map.  You can build from the top level down, and it is safer, but it's a lot slower as they have to build a single gantry tile at a time.  Baiting isn't really possible either, as it'll always come down to kill-or-be-killed the moment they catch their prey.  They don't often escape unless there's a large number of targets and the demon's slowed down by trying to pick it's next meal

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

Sounds rather similar to an idea of my own...

Except it wouldn't be about raising a kid into an emotionless super-soldier. It would be about turning an adult dwarf into an emotionless super-soldier.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hell's quiet at the moment and the current demons flying around are up around the North-East area.  So I've got a small stockpile set up with both militia squads keeping watch while the Masons work on the south wall a bit.  The bottom level is complete, and the second level's not far behind.  Levels 3 to 5 kinda spread out in a 'V' shape  in regards to how much of them is left to build.

Edit:  Second level is now complete and they're building on the third.  A Pterosaur demon turned up to cause trouble, but the Swift Tombs hacked it to pieces.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:16:24 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's like the caverns, but you only get 1-2 groups of 3-5 demons at any one time.  And the problem comes from the fact that as you lay a wall, it becomes an acceptable spawn point because it's flat ground on the edge of the map.  You can build from the top level down, and it is safer, but it's a lot slower as they have to build a single gantry tile at a time.  Baiting isn't really possible either, as it'll always come down to kill-or-be-killed the moment they catch their prey.  They don't often escape unless there's a large number of targets and the demon's slowed down by trying to pick it's next meal

And therefore not worth the effort to create a couple of "false" spawn points along your wall that simply lead into a walled and roofed off area where they can wander about for a while without doing any harm, or possibly into some repeater-run spike traps.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And therefore not worth the effort to create a couple of "false" spawn points along your wall that simply lead into a walled and roofed off area where they can wander about for a while without doing any harm, or possibly into some repeater-run spike traps.

I... hmm... That's not a bad idea.  The problem is that where they spawn is random,  but increasing your odds never hurts....  Even a few 2x1 spaces should do... MASONS!  To the walls for a redesign!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ladies and Gentledwarves, I give you...

(Theoretically) guranteed to keep the most dangerous of demons from spawning where you don't want them to, keeping them out of the way until they decide to leave of their own accord!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 81