Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 397696 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

I have got to say that this is pretty epic. It's cool to see "forumgoers" being enslaved and transformed into dwarves. Also I'm up for it if you want, it'd be interesting to see if I manage to accomplish anything before dying in some horrible way. :P

Thank you for your complement.  NOW GET TO THE WALLS AND GET BUILDING!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and Oliolli?  QUIT SLACKING AROUND BEING DEAD AND GET BACK TO BUILDING MY WAAAALLS!!

Finally, I had a thought that I found amusing:  If I conquer Hell and make it safe, considering it's apparently marked as "endgame" in the raws, does that mean I will have technically beaten and won Dwarf Fortress v0.31.25?

edit:

You get the occasional short human mixed in with them too, simply due to the resemblance. XD

You raise a good point.  TO THE WALLS WITH THE POSSIBLE HUMAN SPY!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:02:05 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

You don't "win" DF.  You simply "outrun the Fun another year".  Every action just adds a little bit of time to your inevitable fall.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

You don't "win" DF.  You simply "outrun the Fun another year".  Every action just adds a little bit of time to your inevitable fall.

I control Hell itself, my fortress is siege-proof (as long as I remember to lock the hatches >.>) and my dwarves are all happy with engraved bedrooms, dining rooms and hallways.  My militia are psychotic killing machines with beards that don't so much laugh at demons as mock them.  And I have an 8z-level cistern full of water that I'm not sure what to do with anymore.  And I did say "v0.31.25".  I have no doubt the necromancers and were-creatures in the next update will kick my ass and bring my fortress to ruin in some !!Fun!! way that'll probably end with flooding.  Or start with it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

I tend to think of FPS and human boredom being a built in part of the DF endgame that insures that you can never win. Eventually either your fort's population will grow to such immense amounts that your computer can't handle it, or you will get bored and destroy your fort in some extravagant way. Either way the game makes you lose in the end. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

I control Hell itself, my fortress is siege-proof (as long as I remember to lock the hatches >.>) and my dwarves are all happy with engraved bedrooms, dining rooms and hallways.  My militia are psychotic killing machines with beards that don't so much laugh at demons as mock them.  And I have an 8z-level cistern full of water that I'm not sure what to do with anymore.  And I did say "v0.31.25".  I have no doubt the necromancers and were-creatures in the next update will kick my ass and bring my fortress to ruin in some !!Fun!! way that'll probably end with flooding.  Or start with it.
Hey...

That one time you forget, and a goblin gets in, and your legendary party dorf gets slain,

THERE.

WILL.

BE.

FUN.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

When you make a fort Fun-proof, the game will find some way to cram Fun down your throat. Maybe a failed mood ending up in a berserk dwarf, maybe a random tantrum due to
your legendary party dorf
dying after a failed mood. Maybe an error in engineering.

IT.
WILL.
HAPPEN.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:48:48 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

When you make a fort Fun-proof, the game will find some way to cram Fun down your throat. Maybe a failed mood ending up in a berserk dwarf, maybe a random tantrum due to
your legendary party dorf
dying after a failed mood. Maybe an error in engineering.

IT.
WILL.
HAPPEN.
Fun shall always be lurking around the corner

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile

Am i still alive by any chance?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I understand... you just lured the demons into a checker-board shaped room and let water and lava drip down on them through the grates above..?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

I'm not sure I understand... you just lured the demons into a checker-board shaped room and let water and lava drip down on them through the grates above..?
Water+Magma=Stone

Instant kill  :P

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Water+Magma=Stone

Instant kill  :P
Not just stone, but Obsidian, the most valuable form of stone. It's often worthwhile to find a way to mix them, if only for the mugs.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not just stone, but Obsidian, the most valuable form of stone. It's often worthwhile to find a way to mix them, if only for the mugs.
Do you actually go to all of the effort of obsidian farming just to create mugs that are 50% more valuable than marble?

Wow, that's.... dwarfy.

And not necessarily in a good way.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I do, sometimes.  I usually artificially stock them in areas, for visual flavor.  More often it's statues though.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile

Do you actually go to all of the effort of obsidian farming just to create mugs that are 50% more valuable than marble?

Wow, that's.... dwarfy.

And not necessarily in a good way.
We make stone mugs.

From the scorched remains of Hell itself.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile

Fun? FUN?! TO THE WALL WITH YOU! Let's see how you find manual labour for fun!
Everyzig has been quite content lately.
Soaplent green is goblins!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 81