Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394177 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile

Congratulations!  :D

How soon until the first batch of Hell Mead hits the dwarven dining room?

I've got a siege going at the moment, so I cant start digging yet.  I may give a few of the named dwarves mining duty to get it done.  The last Legendary Miner from the quarry level died a while ago.  It.... may have been my fault.  Forgot to check on him and he dug himself into an inescapable spot... He had his kid AND baby with him at the time... Whoopsy....

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The goblin siege is now VERY dead and I've give mining jobs to a few random dwarves.  They're about to start channeling down from the surface

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't explored too far into what dwarves can and can't do, but can anyone tell me if you can take this !!FUN!! checkerboard and move the pieces elsewhere in your fort? Kind of reminds me of Han Solo in Carbonite.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't explored too far into what dwarves can and can't do, but can anyone tell me if you can take this !!FUN!! checkerboard and move the pieces elsewhere in your fort? Kind of reminds me of Han Solo in Carbonite.

Anything that gets cast in obsidian just dies.  At best, when you dig the obsidianized spot, the corpse will appear.

Oh, and two pieces of good news guys - Three migrants turned up and the dwarves have finally started digging the Sunlit Passage. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 04:46:26 am by ThatAussieGuy »

BCPowers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick intel. I will have to remember this method for dealing with them and other creatures. Sounds very dworfy.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for the quick intel. I will have to remember this method for dealing with them and other creatures. Sounds very dworfy.

If you're building a Checkerboard, just remember that whatever enters needs to be from below.  It's much less of a headache getting them in.  I'm FAIRLY certain it'll trap goblins as well as Clowns during a Siege, I don't know the full range of their pathing.  For Clowns, it's easy because their default pathing seems to be "go straight up as directly as possible".  That's why they go right into the Checkerboard and just sit there doing nothing.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Current depth of the Sunlit Channel:  Past the first Cavern Layer.

Levels dug down: 98/126

Incidentally, the spot I picked was quite lucky - I've only just brushed against the side of the first Cavern and at only two levels, so walling those over won't be a headache.  My only real concern is penetrating the middle of a Cavern and having to construct a tower of walls around it to keep out the local critters.

Edit:  God Dammit.  Jinxed myself, I swear.  Dug down slap-bang into the middle of an open area in Cavern Two.

Edit 2 as I don't want to triple-post.

Have a picture of my progress.  That's sunlight in Cavern Two.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:18:10 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile

Can anyone else feel Toady's burning glare hating Aussie and furiously fixing the Clown's pathing and behavior so players need to come up with more elaborate and fantastic methods of screwing them?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can anyone else feel Toady's burning glare hating Aussie and furiously fixing the Clown's pathing and behavior so players need to come up with more elaborate and fantastic methods of screwing them?

I wonder how he'd react to seeing strawberries growing in Hell?  I'm down to just digging the channel between Caverns Two and Three now, by the way.  The farming site has been watered as a pond, so I just need to let it drain and set a farm plot down

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile

The burning you feel? It is shame.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Opposed to say syphillis?
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile

Opposed to say syphillis?
No, opposed to magma.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Forgotten Beast somehow got into the fortress through one of the cavern breaches.  Doren took it on herself and cut it to pieces.  It said to beware it's blood, but nothing bad's happened yet.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A Forgotten Beast somehow got into the fortress through one of the cavern breaches.  Doren took it on herself and cut it to pieces.  It said to beware it's blood, but nothing bad's happened yet.

Tonight we dine on hell!...

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tonight we dine on hell!...

Been there, done that joke days ago. Go look through page two or three for the picture I posted about that.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 81