Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394194 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

How sad... Back at the mountain halls only myths are told of brave dwarves conquering hell, spurred on by the legendary mad Aussie The evil. If only they knew.

ARMOK DAMMIT IF ONLY THEY KNEW!!!!!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I just thought of something... but when you build a constructed floor on top of a metal vein and then deconstruct it, it reverts to layer stone, right?  Does this apply to slade as well, or is slade already the layer stone?  Also when you cast obsidian it creates an obsidian floor tile no matter what was originally under it, so could you cast obsidian over slade and then dig through it?

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just thought of something... but when you build a constructed floor on top of a metal vein and then deconstruct it, it reverts to layer stone, right?  Does this apply to slade as well, or is slade already the layer stone?  Also when you cast obsidian it creates an obsidian floor tile no matter what was originally under it, so could you cast obsidian over slade and then dig through it?

What are you thinking? Terraforming hell? Or an effort to get slade boulders?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

My stupid dorf beard senses are tingling.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Terraforming, mostly.  If you can convert a floor into obsidian, and dig into the floor, that should allow you to re-arrange hell.  And for that matter, if you're digging into a slade wall you should be getting slade boulders as well.  So both.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Wow. Now we're figuring out how to dig deeper than Hell?

Bay12: Where Hell is not even Digging Too Deep.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Legend has it that designating ramps from below will allow you to dig out slade already. One sec, let me see if I can find the link.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ASCIt has confirmed that you can do this, but the hard part is getting UNDER the slade.  After all, if you're down there then you're probably just going further down, you don't want to go back up.  If obsidian will terraform (magmaform?) slade then you can dig down into slade.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ASCIt has confirmed that you can do this, but the hard part is getting UNDER the slade.  After all, if you're down there then you're probably just going further down, you don't want to go back up.  If obsidian will terraform (magmaform?) slade then you can dig down into slade.

Ah, so THAT was the catch. Got it, thanks for clearing that up.

Of course, that means that all you need is a single tile of obsidian to get started, if that works...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not quite.  If you obsidian the floor and dig into it, then you might receive a slade boulder.  Once you've dug into the slade, you'll be surrounded by 8 slade walls which you cannot dig into.  If you could dig sideways and them up into slade, that'd be alright, but you can only dig down into slade using obsidian (assuming that trick works) or up into an unexplored wall.  Slade quarrying will still be incredibly fickle, but if this works you may or may not be able to cast a whole layer of hell as obsidian and then mine out a whole layer of slade.  If that doesn't work, you should (in theory) be able to pick out 1 slade boulder per 9 tiles (as you dig one and expose 8 surrounding) and still get quite a bit of the stuff.

Now, with that in mind...  If you find a nice lair, you can dump items on it and they won't move due to the lair flag.  It should be possible to start a fort, mine out a lot of slade and candy, abandon, and have an adventurer go back and recover the slade and candy (tucking into platinum bins for minimal movement) and then carry it over to the lair.  Once you've stocked up a LOT of the stuff, embark upon the lair and recover the supplies your adventurers left for you.  Build a pure blue tower with slade cornerstones!  Without hacking!

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile

Hacking is defined as a creative solution to a problem. Everything discussed in this thread has been hacking.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hacking is more usually defined as cheating and using outside tools.  Obsidian and picks are provided in-game.  Exploit, maybe, but it requires no modding of any sort.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile

I thought "hacking" was the act of chopping things into little bits and pieces with an axe 

Also, love the "Terraform Hell" -thing  :D

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

No no no, you're getting that confused with family game night.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81