Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Have I turned breaching the HFS from the most terrifying and challenging thing a dwarf can do into a simple and hilarious thing that anyone can do?

Yes
- 279 (33.5%)
No
- 52 (6.3%)
BANANA!
- 501 (60.2%)

Total Members Voted: 831

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)  (Read 394169 times)

Varsar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1095 on: November 20, 2011, 06:05:40 am »

Thanks, this really taught me a lot on dwarfgeneering, and taunting hell never was this fun!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Project - The Dwarven Checkerboard and siezing the HFS (spoilers)
« Reply #1096 on: November 20, 2011, 06:30:45 am »

Well, the preparations for flooding Hellopolis are well under way.  Thought I'd share some pics so everyone can see what's going on

First off, I extended the Vertical Axle down another 2z to the Quarry and ran a long horizontal axle across it to provide power to everything using gearboxes with branching axles
Spoiler:  The Hellpump gears (click to show/hide)

To the south, is the highest pump and one on the z-level under it (not shown.  It's under the upper gearbox of the pair)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To the north and a z-level down (basically, right under where the vertical axle stops) is the third screwpump with an open vertical channel leading down to where the fourth one is being built.  I haven't ordered an axle to be built yet as I want the other ones finished first.

Once I have the three finished pumps powered, I'll Pull the Lever and we'll see how we go.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 20, 2011, 06:36:31 am »

Thanks, this really taught me a lot on dwarfgeneering, and taunting hell never was this fun!

Glad to help.  As a special treat, I'll even show you all how to abuse an aquifer for power.  Simply dig down into an aquifer from above so you create a pool.  Breach the aquifer at two seperate points and they'll flow between eachother like a river.  Stick some waterwheels over it and you have free constant power with a stable output that doesn't fluctutate.

Spoiler:  Upper Aquifer Engine (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Lower Aquifer Engine (click to show/hide)

This thing's given me a stable 6,000uW since I built it decades ago.  Always turning, never even dipping a single digit.  The levers on the middle level cut the power at the overhead axle on the Upper level, by the way.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:38:17 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1098 on: November 20, 2011, 06:46:21 am »

Aussie you mad devil! (All pun intended)
Stop winning Dwarf Fortress!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: November 20, 2011, 08:30:51 am »

Magma has been poured and Science has been cast - pumped magma flows faster than freely-roaming magma.  I'll do pics later

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: November 20, 2011, 03:34:35 pm »

Maybe, but extremely doubtful. One can set up dozens of nestboxes and set female dwarvs to lay eggs (maybe 2-3 each just to get things going), and from what I've heard they will go lay the eggs. I have no idea if the eggs will hatch if the woman is no married, nor what the mother will do (sit on them vs. go back to work.) You'll probably have to forbid them afterwards too.

If they DO hatch without mother and father being married, then Swordthunders will be overpopulated in a couple years. If not, then there will be no children.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1101 on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:47 pm »

Maybe, but extremely doubtful. One can set up dozens of nestboxes and set female dwarvs to lay eggs (maybe 2-3 each just to get things going), and from what I've heard they will go lay the eggs. I have no idea if the eggs will hatch if the woman is no married, nor what the mother will do (sit on them vs. go back to work.) You'll probably have to forbid them afterwards too.

If they DO hatch without mother and father being married, then Swordthunders will be overpopulated in a couple years. If not, then there will be no children.

I tried that once, the married couples ignored the nest boxes and spawned dozens of babies instantly. Every year. Needless to say, I was slightly surprised.

UristMcFan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: November 20, 2011, 07:25:29 pm »

I tried that once, the married couples ignored the nest boxes and spawned dozens of babies instantly. Every year. Needless to say, I was slightly surprised.
That sounds... interesting. If you have invasions off (or can survive under seige)then if you can provide the food for 12 years you could have a dwarven population explosion. Does this mean that next release you can exhaust a civilisation like ThatAussieDwarf, and then repopulate it before quitting, and having your ex-fortress spread across the map?

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 20, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

That sounds... interesting. If you have invasions off (or can survive under seige)then if you can provide the food for 12 years you could have a dwarven population explosion. Does this mean that next release you can exhaust a civilisation like ThatAussieDwarf, and then repopulate it before quitting, and having your ex-fortress spread across the map?
This is just asking for an ethnic cleansing fort.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1104 on: November 20, 2011, 07:37:59 pm »

This is just asking for a ethnic cleansing fort.

Now why would you want to do that? SPREAD THE DWARVES ACROSS THE WORLD! HELL SHALL FEAR OUR MIGHTY CHECKERBOARD BABIES!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 20, 2011, 07:53:44 pm »

This is just asking for a ethnic cleansing fort.

Now why would you want to do that? SPREAD THE DWARVES ACROSS THE WORLD! HELL SHALL FEAR OUR MIGHTY CHECKERBOARD BABIES!
Make ALL the dwarves have giant brown beards! Then spread them THROUGHOUT THE WORRRRRLLLLLDDDD

The army arc is going to be epic. Conquering the world then purging elves? CIRCUS YES

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1106 on: November 20, 2011, 07:58:21 pm »

Future generations of humans, long since spreading across the world, will find magnificent spires of adamantine amongst large seas of magma, admist mighty chaotic ruins.

[Drunken and horrific screams roar from the darkness below]

Oh you're screwed. You just woke up the Dwarves. You'd best turn around, lock your door, and go to sleep. At least that way you're going to be unconscious when they get you.

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 20, 2011, 08:01:38 pm »

Good point, Loud Whispers. By taking over Hell, Aussie is now the HFS.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1108 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:36 pm »

I hope these quote's end up on the OP.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 20, 2011, 09:01:31 pm »

I hope these quote's end up on the OP.

Done.  Also, I did tell you all I was the new King of the HFS.

Here's how the magma progress looks so far

« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:11:58 pm by ThatAussieGuy »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 81