Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: IgniteRL - New version 0.038  (Read 1477 times)

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
IgniteRL - New version 0.038
« on: October 03, 2011, 07:10:29 am »

Hello! I'm developing new roguelike game. Hope you like it  ;D

Ignite
Spoiler: Screeshot (click to show/hide)

In general, Ignite is a story about a world and some events that occur there. In this stage of development global world aren`t generated yet (or it is geneated to 1*1 size :D ), but some random dungeons are ready to be explored and you can complete prelude quest chain.

You will play as evil cultist who searching for a Necronomicon book for all of his life and now this quest is almost completed. What`s will happen when he finds a black book? (only me knows :D )

While game is still at early stage of development, you already can:
  • Explore several levels of dungeon
  • Find Necronomicom book and read it to learn sacred knowledge of undeath
  • Kill some beasts and kobolds not only to level your chaacter up, but to necromutate a temporary ability which creature possess
  • Permanently die, onky to create another character and start playing again :D

Note: you can hover your mouse over buff icon to learn what this buff about
Another note: to learn how controls - click on "how to play" button in main menu.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 03:23:42 am by alexbard »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: IgniteRL
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:19 am »

This looks cool, it's better than playing the hero trying to stop an evil cultist.  What will the magic system be like?  I wish the magical system was something unorthodox, not just a bunch of spells.  Like, praying to the god of death for power, or something, with a random amount of power given to you, if you please him, and a random curse assigned to you, if you fail the god.  But ignore this if you already have a good idea.

Anyway, it looks cool. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:41:43 am »

Magic system will be more complex than "cast fireball from fire school of magic for 5 mana", but i didn`t finalize it yet ) but it will be complex, like fireballs that didn`t work in water, arcane spells that will change theself in magic anomalies and so on ..

Gods will be a part of challenging system: player stats will default god (say: god of destruction or death) and will have an opportunity to swich to another god to new abilities and make game more challenging.

i'm trying to create modern interface in Ignite, with buttons and tooltips and at same time trying not to lose unique atmosphere of major roguelike games (like adom, angband and stone soup).

... and i'm trying to do it in a dark way - with blood, gore and corpse explosions ;)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:49:39 am »

Glad to see this is still alive, this gets cooler with every post. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:53:30 am »

Glad to see this is still alive, this gets cooler with every post.

It`s more alive than you think :) i hope i'll release a new version in a week with inventory, some weapons and armor to find in a dungeon, with noice and stealth system (now you will have a chance to stab this ugly kobold) and some funny achievements %)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 04:34:40 am »

Looks pretty cool! Open source?

Yes, that is the first thing to comes to mind when I see a game these days.  :P

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:45:13 am »

Looks pretty cool! Open source?

Yes, that is the first thing to comes to mind when I see a game these days.  :P

Free, but closed source. Right now code isn`t optimized enought to show it to anyone :D but if game will be succesfull i'll consider to make it open source.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:50:28 am »

You know how to optimise code really quickly? You release the source code, then watch every smart ass programmer on earth views over it  with their bug fixes, and their combined man power builds a game engine that could pierce the heavens!
Also, people like me will leach off it, so that if we see you did anything really cool we know how and can implement similar mechanics. Because love is sharing.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 05:39:31 am »

You know how to optimise code really quickly? You release the source code, then watch every smart ass programmer on earth views over it  with their bug fixes, and their combined man power builds a game engine that could pierce the heavens!
Also, people like me will leach off it, so that if we see you did anything really cool we know how and can implement similar mechanics. Because love is sharing.
So that must be why the source code of Allegiance is generally regarded as the holy grail of efficient and elegant coding? Or why the Spring Project is the most stable and efficient 3D RTS engine ever?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 05:46:08 am »

Oh yea, totally!

Shhhh, you are going to ruin my clever bluff!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:58:08 am »

You know, there are plenty of programmers that can give you a nudge in the right direction if you ask them how they approached a certain problem (assuming they're not under an NDA). However, those not committed to the open source movement are generally wary of people that would copy-and-paste their solutions without second thoughts.

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »

This is looking beautiful may i ask what are you coding it in?
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 03:20:35 pm »

This is looking beautiful may i ask what are you coding it in?

You asking about program language ? It`s C#

In the next release there will be an ability to salvage fallen enemies. In result of salviging process you will get materials which can be used to craft various items, like weapons and armor. Salvaging will destroy corpse, so player must choose - to use salvaging and get crafting materials or use Necromutation to get various buffs.

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 03:43:58 am »

Yesterday i've created a crafting interface for Ignite. Player will have an ability to create items from various materials they have found through the journeys.

Curently available 5 materials: bone, stone, chitin, leather, cloth.

There is no recipies in Ignite or any pregenerated items. All items are crafted by someone (player, npc or some monster). When player wants to craft something, he only selects the category and materials. What he gets are based on his mastery, materials and luck.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Craft will be avaible in next release (17-20 Oct 2011)

alexbard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 03:23:08 am »

Hello! I`ve got a new release here - Ignite 0.038

New features in this version:

• game has become much more complicated
  • Items and inventory system - 4 types of weapons, 4 armor parts from 5 different materials
  • Crafting system - if you can`t loot item you need from a monster, now you can create it.
  • Monsters creating their items by same rules you do
  • Some monsters will be sleeping when you find them. You can backstab these creatures for additional damage (if you manage not to wake them before)
  • New action panel with abilities you have
  • Player`s profile (with hiscores for previous games)

Known bug: not try to salvage corpse in Hell or you will not be able to complete level.

Links and detail change log http://alexbard.org.ua/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33