Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just killed a roc  (Read 4180 times)

Dapper Dan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Just killed a roc
« on: October 03, 2011, 03:36:28 pm »

I've read about them before. seeing the whole thing about how rocs make dragons piss themselves, i was totally afraid i was gonna get destroyed. in the end, a marksdwarf got in a lucky shot on its wing while it was flying and sent it crashing into the ground. I had to sacrifice a swordsdwarf for that shot though. poor guy got his head bitten off.
My infantry then proceeded to gang up on the poor roc's head until someone stabbed it in the brain with an adamantine spear. I thought it would be awesome to butcher the thing. it took like 10 minutes to drag the thing back to the butcher station. in hindsight, it probably would have been quicker to build the butcher shop near the roc. anyway, have you guys encountered any roc at all?

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
Re: Just killed a roc
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 03:39:57 pm »

Not in fortress mode, but in adventure mode once. It must have been a young one, 'cuz I managed to cut its head off.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Dapper Dan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 03:52:12 pm »

see, thats what i thought too. I thought it was young and easy to kill or something. turns out they reach full maturity at 20. and this guy was like 255 years old.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 04:01:10 pm »

I wish I could find a Roc...or two... That egg farm would be legendary.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Dapper Dan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 04:08:40 pm »

i once embarked near a roc nest. there was skeletons, armor, bolts, weapons, and coins laying around all over. Needless to say, it didn't go very well.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

I wish I could find a Roc...or two... That egg farm would be legendary.

Actually, it's rather disappointing.  All eggs are the same size, so a Roc egg yields exactly as much food as a chicken egg.  Rocs have a X15 value multiplier, so it's an expensive egg, but you get more value out of a cave croc.

Now, if you can manage to get a male/female pair, and actually start breeding rocs, that might be worthwhile.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 04:52:18 pm »

Why yes, i have actually. It was a Roc by the name of Use, if i remember correctly.

I remember me, lovingly tending my first fort ever, when i get the message that a huge ass bird that dwarfs dragons has decided to take a stroll through my part of the woods.
So, i call in the dwarves, lock the doors, and prepare to watch my fortress succumb to a bloody, feathery end. I then notice all the Roc was doing was chasing my livestock around the map. After watching it slay a duck it finally caught up to after 5 minutes, (i was hoping it would lead Use to the goblin siege chilling at the edge of the map) i lose sight of it.

After looking for a bit, i assume it must have flown away after devouring half my herd. All is well and i let everyone out again. Then suddenly, HOLYHELLITSRIGHTNEXTTOMYENTRANCE. Apparently, it didn't leave. It just flew to the top of the mountain for a bit.
With the doors locked again, and a few dwarves scrambling outside, i watch in horror as it flies straight into my barracks, which was separate from the rest of the fort.

Thinking this will be the last time i see my 5 dwarf army, i order them to attack the beast, hoping they can injure it somewhat before they're torn to pieces. They immediately pile on it, blood is flying everywhere, and eventually, Use is killed. I check to see how many i lost, and to my surprise, none of my dwarves had any serious injuries.
According to the report, they had all gone apeshit crazy on the thing, the final blow being from a dwarf who latched on firmly and drove her steel spear into its brain. One of my happiest moments in DF.

And that was my first, and only encounter with a Roc.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 04:58:44 pm »

Ya preety much anything can die if it is swarmed with enothe things would weapons that can hurt it, I once had a gaint come in only to get swarmed by the nearby goblin siege squad. Poor fella dident even swing once. But then again they were lashers XD
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 05:23:22 pm »

Yep. I once had one show up at the same time as a goblin siege. The goblins had a squad of archers, the roc did not even get close.
The whole dragon killing bird thing is probably mostly true for juvenile dragons, I can imagine a full grown dragon makes short work of that bird.

Should test that sometime, can arena mode spawn creatures that aren't fully grown?

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 05:31:09 pm »

I recall killing a roc which was a z-level above me in adventurer mode by cutting its head off.  The mental image was awesome...
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 05:40:27 pm »

I recall killing a roc which was a z-level above me in adventurer mode by cutting its head off.  The mental image was awesome...
I want to be a legendary wrestler who chokes everything to death... i hope its possible to choke Megabeasts. *Imagines a Werewolf adventurer choking a Roc to death while it tries to fly away*

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 05:40:50 pm »

One of my most memorable fortress mode moments involved a roc, actually. The fort was built in to a volcano, with the entrance being a drawbridge straight over the center of it. The roc arrived and started circling above the very top of the volcano, when a dwarf (I believe his name was Muthkat) was going out to hunt. He had never done anything more complex in his life than shooting at groups of camels before, I figured the roc would swoop down and snatch him right up. Instead he stopped in the middle of the drawbridge and fired a single shot that tore straight through the bird's brain, and its corpse fell straight in to the magma sea below.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 05:42:56 pm »

One of my most memorable fortress mode moments involved a roc, actually. The fort was built in to a volcano, with the entrance being a drawbridge straight over the center of it. The roc arrived and started circling above the very top of the volcano, when a dwarf (I believe his name was Muthkat) was going out to hunt. He had never done anything more complex in his life than shooting at groups of camels before, I figured the roc would swoop down and snatch him right up. Instead he stopped in the middle of the drawbridge and fired a single shot that tore straight through the bird's brain, and its corpse fell straight in to the magma sea below.
Thats epic. Ahahahahaha. The image is just too good. *Hunter walks out*

Oh a roc... hmm that should feed us for awhile. *Shoots at it and its a critical hit*
*Plunges into the magma*
Shucks... That could of fed us for a year

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 06:59:29 pm »

Megafort w. super army. 30 really well-statted guys with full masterwork steel armor and steel weapons ('cept for warhammers).

Roc comes, I knew these guys would make easy work of it... I've had soldiers completely tear apart entire siege olm-riding spear squads singlehandedly.

I send a single squad to attack the beast, and one of the swordsdwarves is right near the entrance, he gets on scene waaay ahead of everybody else. I didn't know how this would end out, but watched as the soldier slashes the roc in the wing, roc flies away, straight up (presumably running), gets to about 10 z levels above the ground, then faints, plummeting down and smashing into the ground, killing it.

Really awesome mental image.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 07:06:59 pm »

The rest of the squad comes running out the door to find Urist McRocSlayer walking out of a cloud of feathers, saying "Hey guys, what took you so long?"
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.
Pages: [1] 2