Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Goblin Immortality (Fluff Discussion)  (Read 16722 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Goblin Immortality (Fluff Discussion)
« on: October 04, 2011, 03:44:25 am »

Elves are racist (occasionally) isolationist jerks. Goblins are the major open society in DF, accepting any race that they can kidnap. Goblins like to impale the corpses of their defeated enemies on pikes. Elves like to eat their defeated enemies.

Both of these races live forever.

Now, the Elven immortality thing is pretty easy to understand - they're probably strongly influenced by J.R.R Tolkien's elves, except with way worse technology and fighting ability.

What about Goblins, though? Are they "corrupted" elves like in the Lord of the Rings' universe? Are they simply a separate race that is functionally immortal? And what, if any, connection, might their culture have to do with their immortality?

This is just for fun of course. What do you guys think?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Immortality (Fluff Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 04:07:50 am »

Pacts with demons? That's what I've always thought anyway.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 04:13:28 am »

Immortality radiation from all the cooled volcanic glass? They have towers made of it, after all.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:19:13 am »

What were the goblins before the pact, then? 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 04:28:32 am »

Peaceful nomadic tribesmen with extremely short life-spans.

Alternatively, they were created by demons or they are mini-demons.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 04:31:04 am »

Perhaps some sort of mixture of Gollum and Cain? Cain was the biblical figure who killed his brother and was cursed to live forever, so perhaps some human was cursed by a god at the ancient times and then it started to live in caves and such, slowly transforming into a hideous creature we know.
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:48:33 am »

Goblins have naturally puce hair. They're not hideous, they're FABULOUS.

That might have worked in 40d, but since demons nowadays just kinda go ahead and take over things without asking, it's less compatible.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:17 am »

Obviously, elves are corrupted goblins.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:43 am »

Imo gobbos should reproduce very fast but have a short lifespan like 30-40 years.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:07 am »

Imo gobbos should reproduce very fast but have a short lifespan like 30-40 years.

Yeah, that's the scary part about DF goblins. They're vicarious, cruel, and mean spirited, and they live forever. I like to think that their behavior is due to the immortality thing.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:56:48 am »

They are corrupted by Greed and Envy, which might explain their sieging habbits.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:00:47 am »

So...they become like short, green, medieval age humans. 

I always imagined goblins to have just been, having always existed, and the reason for their unnatural evil and hatred is just because they were born with those traits. 

Also, I believe their methodical and sadistic impalement, along with extreme cruelty, "fueled" them, giving them immortality.  And yeah, this would fit rather well with the demonic pact thing, with the goblins both fueling themselves and their demonic masters using the pain and suffering of other sentients. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 10:14:59 am »

goblins are magical creatures. proper magical creatures live forever.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 10:19:45 am »

I always imagined goblins to have just been, having always existed, and the reason for their unnatural evil and hatred is just because they were born with those traits. 

Also, I believe their methodical and sadistic impalement, along with extreme cruelty, "fueled" them, giving them immortality.  And yeah, this would fit rather well with the demonic pact thing, with the goblins both fueling themselves and their demonic masters using the pain and suffering of other sentients.

The evil and random murder are clearly cultural, though, especially since goblins raised in other societies grow up just like them. (Or teenage elves who have their wives murdered and eaten by other elves, and then go on to become king of the Dwarves).

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 10:20:20 am »

Obviously, elves are corrupted goblins.

:D

Check out Cado...

"You are a bad boy," said the goblin, dragging Cado by the hair. "Do you know where goblins go when they die? We perish in dust, saved from the joys you are to experience."

The next morning as they rolled south down the trail, the adventurers ran into a vast column of goblins marching across their path. They wore all manner of scavenged armor, and carried heavy polearms at their shoulders. For hours, they watched the grim procession.
"To destroy the dwarf fortress," said the goblin, "as Tremoda wills, though it is suicide. We have emptied half the Underworld, but it will take twice that number to breach the dwarven walls."

These quotes strongly suggest that the goblins come from the underworld on a one way trip for the sole purpose of fighting.  Were they born there or were they other entities that came to live there?  We also know that goblins (or is it kobolds?) don't eat - this makes a kind of conservation-of-energy-sense if they "shouldn't" be amongst the living.  I really like the skewed take on goblins in DF, especially their socially cosmopolitan outlook as already mentioned.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5