Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Goblin Immortality (Fluff Discussion)  (Read 16712 times)

Martholomule

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Immortality (Fluff Discussion)
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:27 pm »

Regardless of the greater reason, I'd still like to see the little bastards starve to death when I trap them in a hole. 

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 03:38:06 pm »

i like fault's effigies goblins, who were buried for centuries after theoretically been extinct in the last great war,  and are still alive and waiting to be unearthed by a new goblin king to be rallied again against the forces of good

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2011, 10:28:38 am »

I'm not sure about it... Aren't some goblins born ? I know they take other races people from war and child-snatching, but can't they reproduce ? I thought there were only a very limited number of each race representant at the beggining of world gen, and I have definitely seen quite a number of goblins around.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2011, 11:09:17 am »

If you mean the bit where I proposed that they aren't born and so don't naturally die, that and the rest was just fluff for this fluff thread. The idea is loosely based on the Weapons from FF7.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2011, 11:40:12 am »

Goblins are birthed by nature as pure rock, that is then given shape by their "parent" goblins. When they die, they turn back into Obsidian - this is how their Dark Fortresses are built.
Love, scriver~

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:37 pm »

No they're built by elves as a peace offer.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2011, 12:15:18 pm »

I always thought goblins and kobolds were lesser demon races, because they bleed goo and so did demons back in 40d.  Though I guess not so much anymore?  I'm not sure whether they still bleed goo, actually.

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »

Goblins are an old race (think dragons) and reproduce constantly underground. They are akin to rats, living wherever they can find shelter and forming small primitive societies. They steal the greater races goods that they can't produce themselves. As for their immortality, I believe it to be pure theory. Why would any of the other races care to see if a goblin dies naturally when they can just kill it themselves? Then again, you can't kill rats. Well you can, but it won't do much good since they never run out.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

Goblins are immortal because... well...

A Wizard Did It

Demons, I mean... They are immortal demonic constructs of rotten flesh and blood.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2011, 05:22:54 pm »

Goblins are an old race (think dragons) and reproduce constantly underground. They are akin to rats, living wherever they can find shelter and forming small primitive societies. They steal the greater races goods that they can't produce themselves. As for their immortality, I believe it to be pure theory. Why would any of the other races care to see if a goblin dies naturally when they can just kill it themselves? Then again, you can't kill rats. Well you can, but it won't do much good since they never run out.

Considering they've got greater than or equal tech levels compared to Humans and build much more impressive structures...

Not to mention the fact that it's the goblins who seem to take the "Why care to see if [dwarves/elves/humans/kobolds] dies naturally when they can just kill it themselves?" tack. And the immortality, at least, is as canon as elven cannibalism, kobold kleptomania, and dwarf beardedness.

Plus goblins constantly run out, being replaced eventually by their own forcibly adopted children.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2011, 07:25:47 pm »

that was in the old versions with historical populations, now sites have abstracted populations, allowing them to be much more populated than before

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »

Are Elves racist? I mean they are not unjustly descriminating against anyone.

They are justly murdering them for their crimes that they are, indeed, commiting.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2011, 08:38:48 pm »

not racists perhaps, but closeminded extremists... i think most people assume theyre racists because they don't allow other races to cut trees while they're seling wood themselves, the average player might assume they're cutting trees themselves

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2011, 08:57:45 pm »

Going through history it's Demon pacts from old times lead to their immortality but due to the other races winning to many wars back then and making demons prisoners. the demons just ditch goblins for the rest of the civs and gave them all demonic barriers that prevents dwarves from embarking on them. I guess Demon pacts made by the humans was for infinite number of human peasants due to peasants aren't born their made.
demon pacts with the elves created bogeymen and night creatures to keep adventurers and any one man party from murdering the woodland critters at night.
demon pacts with the dwarves created the purple land the demons all call home for mushroom trees and the Red sea.
so there you have it demons did it.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 03:59:53 am »

Are Elves racist? I mean they are not unjustly descriminating against anyone.

Against dwarves, at least, if you remember the trade screens...
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5