Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Just killed a roc  (Read 4144 times)

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Just killed a roc
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »

In adventure mode a roc took my nose off. I changed my name to Voldemort.

Then I stabbed it in the stomach so it got stunned from pain and fell 3z and broke its legs. I was off to a good start as the Dark Lord!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:37 am »

On account of it being October and all:

Urist McPhilosopher: What kind of megabeast did your fort get this year, Ury Brown?
Ury Brown: We got a roc.
Roc: KREEKAW!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 02:52:36 am »

until someone stabbed it in the brain with an adamantine spear
This may be the cause of your lack of Fun.

Try Rocing with copper.

Bigf00t

• Bay Watcher
  • Because science wasn't mad enough. YET.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 07:10:44 am »

I had a resident Roc once, way better than all the resident rocks, but I digress, it was a large embark and it left my fortress pretty much alone, more content to play with it's toy dead people and assorted trade-goods than kill my dwarves.

Some time later after ordering every tree to be felled, I noticed job cancelations, and found a few of my mindless haulers and woodcutters playing "tag" and "chasies" with their new feathered friend.

The Fun Police (Read: legendary hammerdwarves) stepped in and broke up the playdate before the Fun turned to tears, grazed knees and Sudden-Life-Stoppage-Syndrome. Nobody was hurt (Well, nobody anyone in the fortress cared about anyway). If you read the Dwarven List-of-News-to-Read-while-Drinking please ignore the sensationalistic reports of a several day long "Squatters Vs Big-Ass-Bird" wrestling match.

P.S: No, there will be no rematch. Ever. Period. You can stop reading now. Seriously. Whenever. Or fine, keep reading. Just keep doing that, what am I going to do about it eh? Maybe I'll ju
WELCOME TO PERPLEXICON! I HOPE YOU LIKE RESPAWNING!
But screw it nobody tames a murderbear without taking risks.

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 12:54:30 pm »

Had an embark with a Roc on it. It would fly around, and occasionally just sit over my fort's entrance and -stare-. Not attack. Just stare.

Eventually it took hostile action by assaulting an elf caravan, which is when I named it Tweety and decided I liked it... til it started attacking migrants.
Finally died when a Hunter migrant walked on. Looked. Shot it in the wing when it was way up high, and the feathered pain slammed into the ground like a bag of meat and went -boom-.  I like to think it just had a confused expression at the experience of falling.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 01:28:54 pm »

Awesome video of a dwarf fighting a roc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52RpeHG4cPk
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 01:54:09 pm »

Dammit, now I'm gonna have to go play Wind Waker again...

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 02:18:41 pm »

The past couple days I've been genning worlds for my next embark (I'm kind of picky and it tends to take forever,) and one of the things that I've been keeping an eye on is whether or not the world has at least one living male and female roc. I know it's a long shot, and rather unlikely to happen in my next fort for a number of reasons, but it would be really, really cool if I could get a breeding pair and keep a brood of war rocs around....

(According to the RAWs they're already listed as trainable, and replacing [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET] isn't really cheating without dungeon masters in the game.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:14 pm »

I've heard, unconfirmed, that the [MEGABEAST] tag nulls out breeding.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 02:37:18 pm »

I'm not sure it does, to be honest. I've heard stories about successful megabeast breeding in the past.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 03:11:00 pm »

I'm not sure it does, to be honest. I've heard stories about successful megabeast breeding in the past.

I did find some evidence here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78588.msg2032421#msg2032421

Apparently two rocs bred at some point during worldgen, but fortress mode might be different. (Still, all of the tags for breeding are in the raws, so why not?) Some people have apparently also tried embarking on a roc lair to have at least one roc already accounted for. I'd be kind of surprised if no one's ever bred them before, since in theory all you'd need to do is just set up a cage trapped entrance and wait until the megabeasts march on you one-by-one.

(Unfortunately, the fort I'm planning is going to be stuck with an open top for a while, so I suspect that roc attacks will wind up being rather !fun! for me but ultimately fatal to the roc.)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 04:54:45 pm »

Just need to wait for Sphalerite to wander by and be like "Oh yeah, btw I'm right about everything and here's how Rocs work." because he's cool like that.
Pages: 1 [2]