Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old Camp style Fortress  (Read 1893 times)

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
Old Camp style Fortress
« on: November 09, 2011, 06:36:51 pm »

Urist McDiamond withdraws from the society...

So over few last days, after another 230+ fortress was fed to loyalty cascade due to being boring, I had nothing much to do in my free time. So I reinstalled some old favorite games as I always do when bored, in this case it was Gothic 1.
So while wandering around Old Camp this idea struck me. These wooden hovels with flat roofs, that nice asymmetrical remains of a castle with a tower, few levels of the living area, combat arena, that wooden wall with fortifications... I just saw every piece of architecture in DF 2d-style. Well, I felt like I just have to do this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So my question is: how do I go about doing this? Ofc other then switching to humans for authenticity, and making it large enough to be as detailed as possible? And probably settling it with peasants and guards with names from gothic series?

I even found a nice map for reference whenever I'll start doing this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Old Camp style Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 07:02:39 pm »

Interestingly enough, DF is planning to implement similar building arrangements for towns in Adventure mode. You could look at the devlog posts where Toady displayed the pictures of the keep and the town around it and draw inspiration from those.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DisgruntledPeasant

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Old Camp style Fortress
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 07:06:27 pm »

My current human fortress makes use of 'classes' of people (in the social sense, not the D&D sense).

I use burrows to allow certain classes of people in certain areas,  the safest and nicest areas only allow the upper classes, wheras the workers live near their place of work,  and I have the lowest rung of society being able to go anywhere but for strictly hauling only purposes.  (of course I personaly pick who is suitable for what class,  legendary cheesemakers go on the bottom rung, wheras my doctors and smiths go at the top.  this also helps keep your important dwarves from ever being near the caverns of outside,  so they will never be caught by ambushes or wildlife like the peasants)

The old camp kinda does this,  people are only allowed into the castle with given permition,  so you could use that technique to recreate that real sense of seperation the old camp had,  dont let your important mages mingle with the filthy workers!

I suggest making use of those hordes of migrants and putting them within work groups,  some types of work dont need high skills all that much,  woodcutting or 'clearance mining' (mining for the sake of landscape clearing, rather than resource gaining)  or masonry/carpentry so long as its for building walls.  -you can use this to get those massive walls built pretty fast providing you make good use of stockpiles.

A good tip I picked up-   assign your 'useless slave' caste to all use masonry and carpentry BUT assign your workshops to only allow your handpicked skilled craftsmen.  that way your hordes will quickly assemble city walls, but will not be taking workshops away from your skilled workers.

I'd suggest building the outer wall first, get a mass of woodsmen and carpenters to get hasty pallasade up,  then you can take your time with the castle proper. also note that Humans dont REQUIRE alchahol,  they can exist off it pretty well without the side effects you would expect, but they wont get all grumpy like dwarves do. I suggest having a good supply of water from wells,  with booze being an optional extra when you dont need the manpower elsewhere.

EDITED.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 07:08:37 pm by DisgruntledPeasant »