Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible refuse bug  (Read 1486 times)

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible refuse bug
« on: August 12, 2006, 02:01:00 pm »

Not sure if this is intentional, but all refuse seems to instantly disappear upon the changing of the season. I can understand individual pieces having their own lifespans and rotting away eventually, but for all refuse to be vapourised at once seems distinctly odd behaviour  :)
 Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Possible refuse bug
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

Yeah, things like bones and shells can last for hundreds of years in adventure mode, but in dwarf mode they get to be an inconvenience, so I just zap them.  I don't remember if it is only outdoors.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 02:20:00 pm »

Indoors and outdoors, by the look of it. The ones I saw zapped were in a stockpile inside the mountain.

They weren't so much of an inconvenience... I was using them to create a nice stash of trade fodder and decoration on my other furniture  :)

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2006, 02:25:00 pm »

That's why I was wondering -- I thought I saved indoor ones for that reason.  Guess not!  When I put chasming refuse back in, indoor refuse isn't quite as large a problem, although the hauling is a bit annoying.  It would be good if there were a job to grab a bag, go to the refuse piles, fill it with a bunch of crap, and then go to the chasm, and empty it.  The largest problem is the path finding on the "collect a bunch of nearby items" part, but it's do-able.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2006, 03:09:00 pm »

I find it sort of annoying.  The problem is that a lot of that refuse stuff is useful, and although I might not want to keep all of it I don't like having it all vanish at once, either, especially not when I had a dwarf set to repeat-build bone bolts or something like that.

It would be nice if there was a way to retain things with potental uses, like bone.  Perhaps there could be two storage piles, a 'remains' pile and a 'refuse' pile?  The refuse pile decomposes, the remains pile doesn't.  Or something like that.  Dwarves would fill up the remains pile first, so the player could choose how much they wanted to retain by setting the size of that.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »

It could work like seeds -- with caps.  Right now, you can't have more than 200 seed of a given type, because it just gets to be too much garbage.  In old fortreses, bones and shells were the same way, hence the destruction method.  The refuse/remain pile system is kind of like capping, but I'm not sure how the positional aspect of it would work in practice, since you might want to get rid of certain things (bone vs shell) and then have to move them or something.  Although pile interfaces were also Req'd to be a lot more involved, so that you could enter a menu and set specific item types and other features of them and how they dominate other piles.  I'm becoming confused again.

Empirus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 08:58:00 pm »

How about an option to use bins in refuse piles?  Then the items placed in bins would resist rotting the same way food does in barrels.  Of course, that would be more useful if you could manually determine what goes in each bin.  Overall though, it makes more sense than having a separate "remains pile".

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 12:31:00 am »

yeah that is a great idea!

make a refuse bin, like an armor rack
and pick what goes inside, bones, animal bodies, whatever

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 02:17:00 am »

Yucky -- maybe you'd have to have a peasant scrape them out every season or something comes alive.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 02:23:00 am »

More controll over bin useage in general would be nice. And I do agree that refuse is one of the more usefull resources in the game. Maybe if there was some way to choose to destroy objects? Maybe a "trash" pile, where you can designate it to accept various types of things (rock-quality stone, bones, rotten meat, uncooked meat, ect)