Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: capybaras are scary  (Read 13854 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: capybaras are scary
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:47:50 pm »

whelp this is the end of this fifteen year old fortress
with no military to speak of i decided to flood the mines to drown the fb skulking around in there, unfortunately i accidently channeled into two different floors of my fortress, not noticing this i went ahead and flooded the channel and thus my fortress
by the time i noticed the flooding the entire housing/feasting hall floor was flooded in 1/7-4/7 deep water and the crafting floor was half flooded so i started looking around for the source of the flood

...Um, this might not be the best time to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure most forgotten beasts don't actually drown.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 01:24:21 pm »

This story is why I only flood with...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »

MMMassive amounts of deadly chemicals?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »

MMMMMMMonstrous amounts of booze? What could he possibly be talking about? We will never know.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2011, 02:39:07 pm »

MMMMMMMonstrous amounts of booze? What could he possibly be talking about? We will never know.
MMMMMMMAAAAAde up material?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 02:45:14 pm »

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGnanimous donations?
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:19 pm »

Guess the capybara got a critical hit.  Kind of like the story I read of some adventurer getting bitten in half by an elf child.  Or the dwarf biting off a bronze colossus' leg.

I'm a bit more scared to let my dwarves hunt now though.  They've been bringing in the capybara meat for years now (without a single injury I'm aware of).  Guess I'm just a few lucky hits away from dead dwarves and a tantrum spiral.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 05:50:10 pm »

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGic wand?

sorry, couldn't think of anything starting with "magm"
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 06:22:04 pm »

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGic wand?

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGMMMMMMortars custom trained by Ash Ketchum?

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:22 pm »

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGic wand?

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGMMMMMMortars custom trained by Ash Ketchum?

MMMMMMMAAAAAAAGMMMMMMI got in one little fight and my mom got scared and said, "You're moving with your auntie and uncle in the Circus."  I whistled for a carp and when it came near the License plate said "FRESH" and it had a dice in the mirror.  If anything I could say that this carp was rare but I thought nah, forget it, yo homes to the Circus!

uncanny soul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »

...Um, this might not be the best time to tell you this, but I'm pretty sure most forgotten beasts don't actually drown.

yeah i realized that when i saw it leave back into the caves and swim off while my dwarves were busy beating each other to death with pants underwater all while the tame aligator population explodes ,due to the lack of dwarves to steal the eggs, to the point where there are so many in multiple rooms that they start attacking whatevers near them, namely dwarves and moar alligator hatchlings
in the end i had about twenty dwarves die to the forgotten beasts flesh rotting syndrome, another fifteen drowned in the great hall and thier rooms, about ten starved or died of thirst, and twenty more died of either berzerking, being mutilated by the zerkers or being chewed up by tame alligator hatchlings
my favourite one of all was this one single dwarf who went melancholy and swam through the fortress to the great hall where so many others had drowned, it was filled up with 6/7 deep water in most of the room, but he was such a good swimmer that he couldnt drown

the worst part about all this is that capybaras were the only thing i wasn't afraid i would lose my fortress to...
but never again, allow me to warn you so as you may not make the mistake i did, if you ever see a capybara with a scar across one eye wearing a monocle and a top hat, with an evil goatee... run away as fast as you can, you've already lost by this point because thats dread pirate capybara the anonymous, he often times employs muscle, and can quite easily plant a mole in your organization, but hes not afraid to get his paws dirty either, not to mention he likes legendary marksdwarves for their blood

and about the whole magma thing, thats my only regret, that i didnt have any to flood my fortress with, and even if i did it would be beneath my mine making it incredibly hard to get at without releasing the beast due to all the strip mining i had done
caveins were not an option either unfortunately, the fb was standing one z level below my great hall, i feel so undwarflike right now having only had access to water

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 03:28:45 am »

yeah i realized that when i saw it leave back into the caves and swim off while my dwarves were busy beating each other to death with pants underwater all while the tame aligator population explodes ,due to the lack of dwarves to steal the eggs, to the point where there are so many in multiple rooms that they start attacking whatevers near them, namely dwarves and moar alligator hatchlings
in the end i had about twenty dwarves die to the forgotten beasts flesh rotting syndrome, another fifteen drowned in the great hall and thier rooms, about ten starved or died of thirst, and twenty more died of either berzerking, being mutilated by the zerkers or being chewed up by tame alligator hatchlings
my favourite one of all was this one single dwarf who went melancholy and swam through the fortress to the great hall where so many others had drowned, it was filled up with 6/7 deep water in most of the room, but he was such a good swimmer that he couldnt drown

the worst part about all this is that capybaras were the only thing i wasn't afraid i would lose my fortress to...
but never again, allow me to warn you so as you may not make the mistake i did, if you ever see a capybara with a scar across one eye wearing a monocle and a top hat, with an evil goatee... run away as fast as you can, you've already lost by this point because thats dread pirate capybara the anonymous, he often times employs muscle, and can quite easily plant a mole in your organization, but hes not afraid to get his paws dirty either, not to mention he likes legendary marksdwarves for their blood

and about the whole magma thing, thats my only regret, that i didnt have any to flood my fortress with, and even if i did it would be beneath my mine making it incredibly hard to get at without releasing the beast due to all the strip mining i had done
caveins were not an option either unfortunately, the fb was standing one z level below my great hall, i feel so undwarflike right now having only had access to water

Combo breaker :(

Ah well, sorry to hear for your fortress loss.

...You could always try to reclaim and pump out the water into the nearest capybara population? And the tame alligators should be dead by then... Hopefully ^_^

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 06:35:25 am »

Capybaras can swim, though.

Yeah, capybaras are pretty big, and their bite is powerful. Giant capybaras, though, are even more frightening. Once upon a time, a human caravan came to my fort. It was cool, I traded them some dumb bone crafts, they traded me some booze, cages, and lumber. This after they survived a kobold ambush or two. Very good of 'em.

So, a bit battered (one of their donkeys had a leg cut off) but with a good profit on their hands, they set on their way again, over the hills and 'cross the brook.

One of the human swordsmen decided that it didn't like the look it was getting from one of the giant capybaras that lurked nearby. I can only imagine that he cried out for his companions to go on - he was gonna teach this oversized hamster a lesson or two!

He stabbed it. The giant capybara bit his entire right arm off, and then went for the throat.

Don't fuck with giant capybaras.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:00 am »

Don't fuck with giant capybaras. BADGERS D:

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 09:15:22 am »

"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4