Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My herds got slaughtered. Again...  (Read 2363 times)

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My herds got slaughtered. Again...
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:56:01 am »

So I got an ambush super fast this one time and I didn't fence off my pens yet, so all those sheep and cows I got (and there is a lot of them) got slaughtered by 6 goblins. Usually that wouldn't happen cause I would just wall off two pastures and switch them between one and the other when need arises but this time due to the fact that goblins arrived in the second season it seems I didn't do it.

Anyway my question is, can my sheep and cows graze the land in caves? I never did that before for the simple reason that I didn't have to. And if I DID get to the cavern layer that was usually because I embarked on a desert with no trees and I didn't take any grazing animals with me anyway.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

Thorus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My herds got slaughtered. Again...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:04:26 am »

Gazers need grass or cave moss. If the caverns are breached, cave moss will grow on every underground soil tile. So you could dig out your future pastures on your farming level and then breach the caverns.
Thorus likes badgers for their conga lines.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 06:11:46 am »

Ah so they CAN feed on cave moss... ewww...

Anyway thanks for answering. Do you guys know of any good ways to ensure that moss grows a lot in a certain area? I don't know if muddying would do anything.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 07:39:53 am »

I've had it grow on sand, and I've grazed small numbers of animals in my underground farm fields.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 07:59:52 am »

Trust me, the second you breach the caverns you'll be asking how to make it spread slower.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:04 am »

Yeah I know that it grows everywhere. Believe me I've played this game for quite some time (2 years now I think). I'm just wondering if there is any way to center the spread in one room so that I can actually hold all my pets in there instead of having them separated into smaller groups in a bigger number of rooms.
Plus for me the spread was never much of a trouble. I set up my corridors to make sure they're effectively walked on all the time and a stampede of dwarves seems to kill shrubs and saplings rather easily.
If that fails I can always get my dwarves into a safe work area and flush the place with magma.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 09:47:47 am »

The real problem is really underground trees sealing off your hallways, to be honest. If you can get past that you really shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Leonance

• Bay Watcher
  • Moltar shows us how dwarves solve all problems.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 10:50:01 am »

The real problem is really underground trees sealing off your hallways, to be honest. If you can get past that you really shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever.

Constructed floors and paved roads do wonders for stopping the cave moss

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:46 pm »

Trust me, the second you breach the caverns you'll be asking how to make it spread slower.

This is the main reason I use graphics. I find the mishmash of characters too eye straining for prolonged use.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 05:50:28 pm »

Constructed floors and paved roads do wonders for stopping the cave moss

fungi trees only grow on soil tiles or muddied ground. constructed floors don't work, only paved roads and stockpiles. This is why I always build my forts in rock layers for both raw materials and to stop outbreaks of bloody plant life. Although piping is always a problem as the muddied ground will try to grow trees: this is where the paved roads come in handy if you pipes are not flooded with 6 to 7 water constantly.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »

I always put my farms and my animals on a channeled out section.  Go to the surface, and order a bit square channeled away, leaving a dip in the ground of pure soil, which quickly gets grassed over.  10x10 strawberry fields on a 10x10 channeled out bit.  Floor it over and it's safe from enemies, but still counts as "above ground" for purposes of grass and farms.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:37 pm »

This is the main reason I use graphics. I find the mishmash of characters too eye straining for prolonged use.
There's an option to disable that, if you mean the .,` stuff. It's in d_init.txt, I think; look for something like [VARIED_GROUND_TILES]
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 06:17:21 pm »

Then it's all . I believe, though still varied colors on account of cave grass.  I've decided that ASCII wouldn't be so bad, except that all of the ground and trees and such have a black background, and that makes any amount of color murder on the eyes.  Graphics have the advantage of unbroken, green grasslands, not bright green points on a black field.